Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
Colossal
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

4K TV/Blu Ray setups and recommendations?

I know I'm really late to the party, but I'm still rocking a 55" 3D Samsung TV that's been going strong for the last 6 years. But with a PS4 pro, and just recently getting a 4K blu ray of the dark knight trilogy thrown in during a statue trade, the desire to upgrade is at its peak.

I was planning to trade some of my OG SS pieces for a second hand TV to get into the 4k world, but there's a lot of models and brands out there, so a new one with warranty might be the better option.

I have the Sonos player, sub and speakers to boost audio, so I'm looking for recommendations on the best picture quality out there in the £1000-1500 price range, as well as what good 4k blu ray players are out there too.

Any recommendations or advice on what to look out for would be greatly appreciated!
Colossal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:30 PM   #2
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Today, we just bought a 65” LG OLED 4K OLED65C8. Highest recommendation from c/net. Haven’t even hooked it up yet as I need help getting out 65” curved LED off the fireplace mount . And I bought a Sony 4k BD player and the soundbar. By next month it will probably be out dated.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:51 PM   #3
qz33
Rescue

Nah that will rock for a while. They look noticeably better. The E series with the glass is my favorite. I love glass screens. It looks even more saturated and everyone that sees it compared thinks it looks better somehow even if they don't know why.

I just want the OLEDs to get a bit cheaper or bigger for the money.
Pushing 2K for a 65 inch TV was 10 years ago for me.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:17 PM   #4
Colossal

Awesome guys, thank you, I'll do some more digging - when I bought my HD TV and did my reviews, Samsung just worked for me and the F8000 55" hit all the right specs I was after for the price.

I remember buying that at £1600, and the 55 LG OLED looks comparable for a much better product so will definitely take the hit on it soon enough. It does look like OLEd is really where the market is at its peak at the moment too, so thanks Nbr3!
Old 11-26-2018, 08:06 PM   #5
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

https://www.cnet.com/news/qled-vs-ol...-not-the-same/
Old 11-26-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
Colossal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Thanks again nbr3, and it seems to show the top two I've found also, the LG c8 and Samsung q9fn. They both have pros and cons, but my only real concern with the LG is image retention - I play a lot of games and aim to do so specifically for the new 4K TV, how much of an issue or concern should image burn in be?

Other than that, I think all round the LG is the first to convert me from Samsung but will do more reading on the image retention issue.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:37 AM   #7
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal View Post
Thanks again nbr3, and it seems to show the top two I've found also, the LG c8 and Samsung q9fn. They both have pros and cons, but my only real concern with the LG is image retention - I play a lot of games and aim to do so specifically for the new 4K TV, how much of an issue or concern should image burn in be?

Other than that, I think all round the LG is the first to convert me from Samsung but will do more reading on the image retention issue.
I don't game much and not on the living room TV. I use the one in my man cave. I'll have to say we have our LG C8 up and working and WOW it makes everything look great. Normal TV channels are amazing. Haven't tried a Blu-ray nor 4K yet.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:48 AM   #8
Shoo
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal View Post
Consider the Vizio P-Series Quantum 65". It's the TV I definitely would have bought if they sold their damned stuff here in Europe. Excellent performance, good price and no image retention.
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote