Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #1211
Demona
Martian Manhunter

P1 bases are odd to me because it's usually just the person standing there and the base is 3 inches in height. (ala Dark Knight Catwoman). Bases like those could be minimized.

But again, my overall issue here is that SS knowingly and willing took people's money without giving them the final product. People give XM and P1 sh!t for that ALL THE TIME, but heaven forbid we call SS on it.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #1212
ambasah
Red Skull

i hate the x-bases and the dog bowls.

I am all for elaborate bases if they make sense. the xm electro is a perfect example.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #1213
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicJesus View Post
I agree totally. Geralt from P1, the base is massive and elaborate. It kills space, it’s unnecessary, and you have to figure it is part of the price. I really like the “X” bases from the initial X-Men line. I also really like the Brown Suit PF base on the bridge, as it’s meaningful yet still minimal. As we see prices continue to go up, I’d like to see in some way, some of this stuff return to simplicity. I’m not saying all museum poses on a flat base, but something that is collector, space, and budget friendly.
Agreed, Some of my Favorite SS pieces are minimalist in design, Examples: SS Joker, SS Allied Charge Red Skull and SS Batgirl all have bases that minimal and keep the focus on the statue.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #1214
IzeroI
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambasah View Post

I am all for elaborate bases if they make sense
YUP!!!!!
IzeroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #1215
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I agree Demona, while some may think it's no big deal and it doesn't effect the piece at all, that is of little significance. What if they changed his portrait or his pose? To me it's more the fact that they are putting something up for PO knowing full well it's not the actual product that will ship and trying to disguise it so less people notice. Why not just wait until you have the actual piece to photograph before putting it on the PO page. So now I saw it at NYCC and liked it, saw it on the site and liked it only to find out it's not really what we will be getting? Sorry but that's poor form.
Adee, when you saw the statue in person what impressed you more, Wolverine or the base? What attracted you to the piece, Wolverine or the base?

I pre-ordered this and I agree that SS should have had the final piece for pre-order, but knowing they propped it up and I don't know what the final base will look like, I am not going to cancel my order.

Quote:

I am all for elaborate bases if they make sense. the xm electro is a perfect example.
What? And I was going to drop by Toronto and give you custom X-bases for SS Storm and Cyclops
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #1216
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:

The XM Electro is a top three statue for me from 2017. It's a perfect example of a nicely detailed base giving the figure context.

Since Christian posted the lightened image of the Wolverine PF on Facebook, I'm surprised to see so many being critical of him for bringing something like this to light(pardon the pun).

Things like this need to be brought forward. The "CSI Miami" comments are a bit of a head scratcher for me.

Relating this to the XM Electro, when the production photos came out showing his mask flattened to the side of his head, many of us very vocal about this and ultimately XM went back to the factory and reproduced new masks for the statue.

We know Sideshow isn't as responsive to fan feedback(Magneto being an exception ), so getting this kind of information to them as early as possible is the best way to ensure that we the fans are getting the product we want.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #1217
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
Adee, when you saw the statue in person what impressed you more, Wolverine or the base? What attracted you to the piece, Wolverine or the base?
The figure is definitely what catches your eye but I really liked the fact that the base was small/low.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a huge deal or something anyone should think about canceling over or anything.

I'm just not crazy about the way they are handling it.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #1218
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Random question - when does 12 Days start?
Christmas Day.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #1219
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
P1 bases are odd to me because it's usually just the person standing there and the base is 3 inches in height. (ala Dark Knight Catwoman). Bases like those could be minimized.

But again, my overall issue here is that SS knowingly and willing took people's money without giving them the final product. People give XM and P1 sh!t for that ALL THE TIME, but heaven forbid we call SS on it.
Come on Demona, people give SS ---- all the time, for things that are ridiculous and asinine. And if you give XM ---- you get attacked by a bear. As for Prime1 I honestly couldn't care.

People have agreed that the base should have been set flat and that it should have been the final product, BUT the addition of Rocks to the bottom of the base to make it raised like the product photo, which will be hardly noticeable once placed on a shelf is a small small thing that people are going to blow out of proportion for the next year.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:23 AM   #1220
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I agree Demona, while some may think it's no big deal and it doesn't effect the piece at all, that is of little significance. What if they changed his portrait or his pose? To me it's more the fact that they are putting something up for PO knowing full well it's not the actual product that will ship and trying to disguise it so less people notice. Why not just wait until you have the actual piece to photograph before putting it on the PO page. So now I saw it at NYCC and liked it, saw it on the site and liked it only to find out it's not really what we will be getting? Sorry but that's poor form.
So that's my point as well. SSC should've waited until they had the actual revised base before taking proto pics and having the PO.

And if they wanted to go ahead with the pics and the PO without the actual revised based, then SSC should've just came out and said that the base was being revised to provide the angle the proto pics were showing.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote