Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 09-29-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Andrew
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
Adamantium Plus Member

Pop Culture Shock Blanka Bust

Capcom
Street Fighter
Pop Culture Shock

1/3 Scale Blanka Bust

Jerry Macaluso (owner of Pop Culture Shock Collectibles) brings to us Blanka, (a.k.a. Jimmy), a character from the greatest fighting game franchise of all time, Street Fighter.

Blanka is the second character to be produced by Pop Culture Shock Collectibles (PCSC) in this 1/3 scale bust format. The previous being Akuma.

Box and packaging;

Both the colored product box and outer cardboard box came in perfect condition which is always a relief to see as a collector. Thankfully the bust itself was in equally pristine condition when I removed it from the styrofoam shell. Of course it was Christmas in September from all of the styrofoam pieces that went everywhere, but hey, it wouldn't be a PCSC experience if it wasn't for that. The overall packaging of the bust was just fine.

The bust;

This piece is one solid unit with the traditional black base with Blanka sitting on top. The overall height of the bust is approximately 10.5" tall. It's rock solid and has a very nice weight to it, probably between 7-10 pounds. Most of the weight is actually focused towards the back of the bust, probably because of the hair, but it sits solidly on a flat surface.

The specifics;

This bust comes in three color variants; green skin/orange hair, blue skin/yellow hair, and yellow skin/blue hair. This review should apply to all variants as the only difference is the color.

Blanka, who's real name is Jimmy, was a 10 year old boy and a passenger in a plane that crashed in the jungles of Brazil. Forced to survive by any means necessary, his body gradually mutated and adapted to it's surroundings and took on it's current form.

Jerry Macaluso did an outstanding job of recreating this hideous beast with a face that only a mother could love. Choosing the most classic, but also the most fitting pose for Blanka, the characters personality really shines.

The amount of detail in the skin, hair, muscles, and veins really are top notch. The paint work done by the factory is really well done. There is nice shading done around the muscle areas throughout.

Where this bust really shines is the facial area. The amount of detail that Jerry did here is above and beyond expectations.

The mouth itself is incredible, it actually looks like Blanka's mouth is wet. The teeth and tongue look very life like and Jerry even sculpted in a uvula. Now that's detail! The lips look great, with plenty of detail to make them look realistic.

The shading around the eyes is very well done and the eyes themselves look extremely clean and colorful. The eyes are pushed in a good distance giving the face an overall intimidating look. Other smaller details like the eyebrows, forehead, and ears are all sculpted nicely.

Just like the Akuma bust, Blanka is an optimal size because he can be displayed virtually anywhere. Big enough to show great detail, but small enough to fit on any shelf or display case.

There just isn't anything bad to say about this piece. Jerry Macaluso did an outstanding job on this character. A beautiful sculpt of a hideous beast.

Although this line is just getting off the ground, I anticipate that after one or two more characters are released, it is really going to be sought after extensively by collectors.

Great job, Jerry!

Andrew

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
StatueHunter75
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

I couldn't agree more buddy! Great review.
StatueHunter75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
L Deimos
The Spirit

I might try to pick these up. Awesome bust.
L Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
Mannequin
I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography.

sadly this bust is busted

it sold only for 42.95 shipped..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEDWX:IT

Lucky bidder
Mannequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #5
wizardjones
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I hate Blanka but the bust is awesome! If there is a PF to be made of this guy I hope he is last.
wizardjones is offline   Reply With Quote