Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 08-21-2006, 10:57 PM   #1
bat_collector
Galactus

Steve Rude Batman: Black and White mini-statue Review

Finally a golden age styled Batman joins the ranks of the DC Direct's hit Batman: Black and White line. The featured artist is Steve Rude, and his golden age version of Batman stands out distinctly from every version so far released. Sculpted by the very prolific John Matthews (who sculpted the Mignola, Sale, and Kubert versions), can this version continue the huge hit string this series has been?

Statue Concept:
The Golden age comes to the fore with this entry, and boy is it needed. With so many modern versions on display, a golden age costume derived from Bob Kane's original art is a great addition. That includes the short, wrist length gloves, boxer-like shorts over the tights, and the pointy ears that point to the side more than straight up. On top of that, the statue's design calls for a nice flaring cape that goes in a half-circle around Batman. With most of the statues in the series featuring capes that simply fall downward, this one is an inspired design meant to be eye catching!

The Sculpt:
Dang, what execution! This statue just stand outs in a crowd. First, the Batman is not some over-muscled thug, instead he is sculpted pretty much like a man in shape with no six-pack or monstrous thighs. Simple and elegant, matching what the art should be. Batman's face is also well done. He seems serious and intent in his crime-fighting and definatley has a bit of an older-style look to him. But its the cape that's extremely well sculpted. It perfectly seems like he is flaring his cape around him trying to doge some knife or confuse some villain. The effort in the cape is considerable, as it looks great from all angles, especially top down view (see pic). A great action pose that pefecty matches the style it is supposed to be in, what more can you ask for?

The Paint Job:
Like every entry in the line, the paint job here is awesome. Blacks are blacks, the greys are nicely shaded, and the face is painted greatly. I especially like the painting on the bat-emblem on his chest. Nothing to deduct here.

Over-All Value:
I just gotta ask, how can you go wrong with this piece if you are a big Batman fan? With a reasonable price point ($55.00 msrp) for a decent sized mini-statue, its a purchase that is one of DC Direct's better deals. If only there full size statues were so reasonably priced! If you are a bat-fan, a golden age fan, or a B&W fan, this one is a can't miss.

Conclusion:
Get this statue! That's my advice. With nine releases in the line so far, this one has to rank in the top three, right behind the Risso and Bolland versions. Its concept is also right behind the Mignola version since it stands out so well in a crowd. With a fantastic concept and execution, I have to give this statue Five out of Five Stars! This one will stay in my collection for a while! And a big thanks to speedracer for the pics!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:00 PM   #2
bat_collector
Galactus

Comparison shots!

Old 08-22-2006, 01:04 AM   #3
Azog
Sailor Moon

Overhead pic, is awesome! Great review BC!
Azog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:44 AM   #4
bane
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

It's about time !!! J K , great review I'm hoping to find it in a European LCS this month .
bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I love this one it`s perfect.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
Alex655321
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azog
Overhead pic, is awesome! Great review BC!
I agree, it looks amazing like that.
I would attach the base to my ceiling so I can always look at it from that angle.

at least I wouldn't step on it
Great Review BTW
Alex655321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:50 AM   #7
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Nice review, Mike. One great thing about this piece is that it can be positioned at almost any angle and it still looks great. Many statues are best displayed from one side or one view only. Not the case with this one.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:57 PM   #8
bat_collector
Galactus

Thanks for the comments guys!

If you would like to purchase one of these min statues, can I suggest comicstatues.com?

To order from comicstatues.com, click here!
Old 08-22-2006, 04:15 PM   #9
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Definitely belongs at the front of the group. Great piece, and great review!
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:53 PM   #10
speedracer
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

excellent review BC
speedracer is offline   Reply With Quote