Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 09-06-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
shorudan
XM Studios
Producer

Cracked Paint on DC JLA Maquettes - any suggestions?

Ok, I'm shifting house so I got around to packing my JLA maquettes into their boxes, and that's when I noticed superman's shiny red boots looking odd under the light - hairline cracks!!! I checked my other JLA statues, and realized that on the shiny surfaces (they are mostly matte painted), such as manhunter's straps, green lantern's boots etc, are all suffering from the same issue! And for aquaman, his cracks are appearing even all over his matte body!

Have posted 2 images to show you guys the hairline cracks.

Manhunter: http://216.119.98.122/personal/cracked1.jpg

Aquaman: http://216.119.98.122/personal/cracked2.jpg

Some questions:

1) Is this a common issue and what would cause this? Dust? Dry room? Poor paint?
2) This appears to be the top layer paint cracking, and mostly the shiny areas - the statues themselves are not cracked or damaged right?
3) What is the best way to fix this? Do I just simply coat another layer of matching paint?

Any timely advice would be GREATLY appreciated, folks!
shorudan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Wow, that blows. Gonna have to check mine, which have been sitting in boxes for a while.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Yes this is common with Aquaman and some others. Seems like the paint is more chalky then acrylic and cracks faster then acrylic will. I seen it on 3 others at my LCS. Can try to sand the cracked areas down and then paint over, but the figure is painted skin first which is the paint thats cracking. So will come down to a strip and repaint from what i seen.

Manhunter you can get away with by sanding down the red and then repainting that section.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
shorudan
XM Studios
Producer

Thanks Vince, looks like I've got abit of work to do then. This happened on the Warner Brothers Batman Maquette too (the one aiming grappling hook to the sky). DC seems to be using low quality paint!
Old 10-09-2009, 04:36 AM   #5
cenobite
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Well, it might not be the paint. It can also be the environment. If they are exposed to heat for too long, left in sunlight, near a heater, near a bathroom or someplace where extreme changes in humidity can occur. The paint will shrink and expand at a different rate than the underlying resin or vinyl causing cracks over time.

like before, sand with a fine sandpaper, then try to match the color as accurately as possible with acrylic paint. Acrylic is safest as lacquer paint might destroy the paint around it... and enamel paint is just a pain.
cenobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
shorudan
XM Studios
Producer

Thanks cenobite... I've kept the statues away from sunlight in a display cabinet along with other statues but only the JLA statues have this problem. For a beginner painter like me - matching colors is already a tough task. Sanding is easy though! Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it!
Old 10-09-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
iceprince_x
Deadman

Thanks to the person who posted this one because I am going to have a statue with this kind of problem at least now I know what to do with mine.
iceprince_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:26 AM   #8
shorudan
XM Studios
Producer

Heh you're welcome!