Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

View Poll Results: IS the re-release of Batman VS Killer Croc by DC Collectibles a good or bad idea?
It's good! Everyone can get this stunning piece now! 74 66.67%
It's bad! This is a simple cash grab by the corporates! 28 25.23%
WHAT!?! My original piece will to be worth nothing now! > 9 8.11%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #391
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Huh? I really have to question whether you have actually seen Cavill's outfit. "The only difference is various shades of the same color"? Really? Where's the collar? Where's the belt? "Armor based"? What armor?

Please don't try to make it seem like I am against producers doing New 52 based statues. I was merely saying you were wrong in saying the classic outfits are going to go the way of the dodo and I tried to explain what iconic means and why some people (some buying people) are going to keep wanting the classics.

I disagree. I was born in the '70s and the '30s Superman is just as iconic as are Wayne Boring, Curt Swan or Garcia-Lopez's renditions. Just like Mickey Mouse from Steamboat Willie is an iconic image as are later renditions. What's truly iconic is iconic whatever your generation.

Wow, so much for leaving it at that.

Yeah, and DC didn't know they were going to release the New 52 until a month before they actually began printing those first issues, right?

You're deluding yourself. They are doing the classic statues because they all know what is going to sell. They're a business, that's what they do.

Yeah, I can picture all the fans who've been crying out for years to have SSC-quality statues from the DC Universe only to find that when it actually happens they have to make do with... "hooray", the New 52.

Please don't misquote me. I said DC LSFs.

Anyway, in 2 years you're going to be raving over their latest gimmickand saying the New 52 outfits are for an earlier generation.
Here you go nitpicking minor differences again, really belt and collar that's the best you can do?

If I'm deluding myself then Koto and DC are going out of business since all their new statues are 52 based and since according to you only the old stuff will sell.... so I guess they better file for bankruptcy... BTW $350 Is not high end.. not sure if it was you who said that or another member..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #392
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Guys lets reel this discussion in a bit, okay. It's getting way off topic. If you want to debate classic Vs. the new 52 in length please start a separate thread.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #393
built2shred
Phoenix

No worries I'm done with the argument, only reason it started was someone said SS was giving the middle finger to 52 stuff...

It's ran its course
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #394
Luminous
Cyclops

Found a better spot for this GIF.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #395
Shoo
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Here you go nitpicking minor differences again, really belt and collar that's the best you can do?
Facepalm. Beats your saying "The only difference is various shades of the same color."

Quote:
If I'm deluding myself then Koto and DC are going out of business since all their new statues are 52 based
*Sigh* It's like talking to a wall.

For the last time: SSC aim these costly statues with a certain target in mind. Please stop being dramatic about Koto. Those statues are aimed at a different public. As for DC, they're catering to that same target people themselves as well, so that market is covered.

Quote:
and since according to you that's all that will sell.... so I guess they better file for bankruptcy...
Here we go, going off at a tangent again.

Quote:
No worries I'm done with the argument, only reason it started was someone said SS was giving the middle finger to 52 stuff...
Wrong. I said in my post above why this argument really began.
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #396
Luminous
Cyclops

Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #397
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Don't have any hard facts to support that either way but I will say after Walking Dead became a hit show the comic books became extremely popular...
I don't research numbers, but I have talked to comic shop owners. There's a slight surge of interest for a short time and then it goes back to normal. After shattering box office records, AVENGERS comics aren't exactly flying off the shelves.

Theres always exceptions. Walking Dead is one of the few.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #398
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
I don't research numbers, but I have talked to comic shop owners. There's a slight surge of interest for a short time and then it goes back to normal. After shattering box office records, AVENGERS comics aren't exactly flying off the shelves.

Theres always exceptions. Walking Dead is one of the few.
I personally don't like the walking dead but my brother loves it. This is the way I see it; the show will be popular for a few years and then it will be forgotten like every other show on the planet. It is very normal than after a blockbuster movie or popular tv show, people get interested in looking at the source material (Watchmen and Scott Pilgrim for example) but then something else comes along and most people loose interest. It is business as usual. Like someone wrote before in this thread, long time Comic readers will continue reading graphic novels, those that don't, won't.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #399
Macethy
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
I personally don't like the walking dead but my brother loves it. This is the way I see it; the show will be popular for a few years and then it will be forgotten like every other show on the planet. It is very normal than after a blockbuster movie or popular tv show, people get interested in looking at the source material (Watchmen and Scott Pilgrim for example) but then something else comes along and most people loose interest. It is business as usual. Like someone wrote before in this thread, long time Comic readers will continue reading graphic novels, those that don't, won't.
I'm an avid comic reader but don't like the Walking Dead show at all. My sister who loves it bought a few small toys and pieces based on the show and in a year or two those will probably get lost and forgotten about much like the show. My LCS usually stocks items from movies that are popular at the time but end up having tons of unsold stock. Crazes come and go and rarely do the masses that watched Avengers or the Walking Dead turn into lifelong buyers like us.
Macethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #400
siren3-4
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post

The Walking Dead comics were very collectible even before the series came out . . . high quality story and limited print runs meant a strong aftermarket value . . .

After the series came out the prices exploded into the stratosphere . . . TWD is going for crazy money right now . . .

Both Comic fans and Horror fans can be pretty rabid . . so that cross interest is helping as well . . .
siren3-4 is offline   Reply With Quote