Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 10-26-2016, 04:32 PM   #21
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I've been priced out for awhile now. No real regrets this year. I just regret not buying more 6-10 years ago when the quality stuff cost about 20% of what it does now. That being said, I feel very fortunate to own what I do but the collector in me always wants more.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:46 PM   #22
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
I've been priced out for awhile now. No real regrets this year. I just regret not buying more 6-10 years ago when the quality stuff cost about 20% of what it does now. That being said, I feel very fortunate to own what I do but the collector in me always wants more.
Agreed about the rising price of commissions. Plus, the problems that it can get to actually get them is problematic. I am still enjoying the hobby as much as ever. I commission less in terms of volume/frequency but I still love what I get. And, I have wanted to move more spending toward published stuff so this has helped to facilitate that goal as well. There's still plenty of art out there to buy and commission - it just takes a little more work to find the right opportunities.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:07 PM   #23
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost9 View Post
Very interesting. I do think there are several of us on this board that are starting to feel that way also. Especially when there are artists who haven't broken in charging really high prices, which then pushes the published folks up even higher. OA is getting more and more expensive. I'm wondering if we're in a bubble or if this is the "new normal".

Alas, quality artwork is typically about what a few are willing to pay, not the many. However, when the time comes (if it ever will) that there are only a few left to pay for the many pieces available, something has got to give. However, I do not believe we are at that point yet as collectors are still lining up to meet these commission prices and are still paying the big dollars for quality published pieces. We've been hearing the grumblings about prices for years but it seems that for every person taking a step back due to prices, there are others prepared to meet those prices.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:57 PM   #24
madmanny
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
The collector in me wants your bermejo art.
madmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #25
Mr. Machismo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

The high prices for new artists thing irks me. That said, there's still some very affordable options whom produce great work, primarily outside North America. I do think that if you do your research, the hobby can work with any budget.

Also, those of you who have been in the hobby for a while, count yourself fortunate to have had at least some time to buy at reasonable prices
Mr. Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #26
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanny View Post
The collector in me wants your bermejo art.
The collector in you will have to learn to live with disappointment like the rest of us.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:20 PM   #27
CJ82
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

There are a few artists that straight up ripped me off this past year, I certainly regret trying to commission them.
CJ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:52 AM   #28
J-M-T
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
20% is nothing. I've seen some artists who have increased their published art prices as high as 80-100% in the past 3 years.
J-M-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:56 AM   #29
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Machismo View Post

Also, those of you who have been in the hobby for a while, count yourself fortunate to have had at least some time to buy at reasonable prices
It's funny to hear this from newer collectors. I think this way as well for all the guys getting art before me and I have only been in the hobby 8+ years. I don't think of myself as getting art cheap way back when I started but I guess it was better than today. It's all a matter of perspective. I do hope we see a price regression somewhat or at least a plateau but I don't know that it is coming.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:57 AM   #30
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

I still remember getting mini catalogs mailed to me back in the early 90's with listing of comic pages for sale. At really cheap prices. Ugh, where's that damn time machine......
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote