Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 06:26 AM   #2531
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Mirrapro1... you are able to put more than one message in a single post btw. Also XM only visits the thread about 1x a month, so sit tight and theyll get to your post(s).
Old 06-30-2017, 07:27 AM   #2532
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Ok. Go figure I'm having bad luck with statue now my Photobucket account has been frozen all my pictures removed!!! Wtf
Old 07-08-2017, 06:51 PM   #2533
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

I received video my seller got visiting XM studio himself all
I needed was little more force putting back leg in. Crisis averted

Thanks XM
Old 07-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #2534
shorudan
XM Studios
Producer

Hey guys! Been while - been traveling back and fro between Thailand, Malaysia and China for operational and business stuff so I'm sorry not to have dropped in more often. SDCC looked really exciting! Wished we were there to see the amazing work and celebrities! Without further ado, answers to the questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archery View Post
Any chance we can get a third open mouthed masked portrait added to Electro before it ships?

This is the only thing missing from what is otherwise a perfect statue.

Whoops, sorry bud it was already in mass production with the polyfoam (packaging) all done. Also, we (me, Seng and Ben collectively) haven't seen many requests for this add on and for commercial/cost efficiency reasons, we do factor in amount of feedback before we would change or add anything. It's subjective as not everyone asks for the same things and we try to accomodate as many as we can without impacting release timings, re-costings and licensing reapprovals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossMcCollector View Post
Hello Bryan,

Here is my feedback regarding Doc Oc. As a big Spidey fan, and after spending sometime looking over this reveal here are my thoughts: (Please keep in mind that I have this Doc Oc on PO since the older design)

Pros:
1- I really love the pose and the overall environment, and how he is using the tentacles to climb the building
2- I really like Doc Oc's body type, proportions, and love his tentacles

Areas for Improvement:
1- The long Jacket/coat. I think this can be turned to a positive if there is another extra body without the jacket just like the original design was.
XM may thinks it's not the way they envision him, but this would be a nice touch (especially after all the wait) to have an additional alternative for collectors like myself that want the Doc with the full suit being visible.

2- Suit design. I understand XM needs to modernize some of the older designs, but I was told multiple times by XM that the suit will be classic. I think the patterns look too busy at the moment.

I would say fans would love an extra body without the jacket, and without all these designs on the suit to make it more classic, and it would go really well with the other classic Sinister Six members.

I know that XM listens to critics and they always try and improve no matter how long the statue is taking, and that's what I'm hoping you guys would do for the Doc since he deserves much better than what we currently have.
Really thoughtful feedback and I appreciate it. Happy to share some of the behind-the-scenes process here. We actually did go through lots of internal discussions finding ways to detach the jacket (including having a switch out). There were a few factors that led to us deciding on the jacket.

Firstly, our key engineering challenge was to have Doc appear as if he is being held in the air by his tentacles - also a major feedback by fans. This shows off the strength of his tentacles and in statue composition, really stands out as a Doc Oct representation. Of course if you are familiar with our Statue weight - they are pretty heavy plus the good doc is not that slim so to support him using 4 relatively slim arms (3 technically as 1 arm is holding a money bag) was a major concern to us in terms of sustainability. For a more dynamic pose, we didn't want to resort to having the arms simply hold his weight directly under him (also it would look really strange) so we pushed the boundaries to have him 'lifted' away from the wall (most evident via the side view) so it really shows the 'strength' of his tentacles.

In order to secure the stability, we needed a strong metal support rod holding Doc instead of the arms - and the best way to position the metal rod is at the center of Doc's body weight connected to the wall behind him. The jacket serves 2 important purposes here - hide the support rod and create more space between Doc and the wall (so his back wouldn't be sticking to the wall flat).

Having an extra non jacketed body would not work as the rod would then be clearly visible from the side and the positioning of the tentacles would need to change as well to compensate for the difference in different body composition/weight. Apart from the visible rod, the extra body and the extra tentacles would jack up the costs quite a fair bit. Given the considerations, we felt that keeping the jacket on is the best compromise given stability vs cosmetic bonuses.

We typically modernize all the classic designs so that they look more detailed and 'real-world' in 1/4 scale. Perhaps in greyscale and unpainted, it looks too modernized but I believe once we add on the greens and the yellows, the classic feel will pop out more. Would love to hear from you again when we show colors to see what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archery View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but I disagree...

An extra portrait is not a big deal at all. Doesn't affect any other part of the statue. I'm sure many who have this on PO would have happily paid a little extra to cover the cost. Most of the work was already done by the sculptor. It would just be a combination of the two existing portraits. I doubt XM would have any issues getting it approved. The only problem I can see is if the polystyrene design has been finalised then there would be nowhere to put it.

Having said that, the two heads it comes with are great. I'm just a completist.
True indeed, polystyrene design if finalized is a major deterrence on adding new parts. But there are other factors too. Sculptors are hired on project basis and often have tight timelines between multiple jobs. Some are on tight schedule (maybe even vacation after a project) so depending on when the new addition is asked for, the actual delay and cost can add up. Next is the reprinting of the master proto which we send to one of the best 3D printers in Hong Kong (to get the consistent details and master mold). They too have a super tight schedule and doesn't take kindly to adding a few parts here and there as it messes up their schedule. Next licensor approvals - quite similar actually. Approvals are done in batches and most licensors dislike having to re-approve a project they have deemed closed. Some uses systematic approval gates once they have closed projects, having to re-open them for 'cosmetic' bonuses doesn't bode well for a licensee who keeps 'fine tuning'. (We can only use our get our of jail card that many times).

Next, factories - in a production line things are done in a particular order. When factory has now started their processes and momentum on another project, it's very disruptive to stop halfway and go back to a previous one - the cost of doing so in terms of manpower can be substantial. In addition, products with switch out parts are best produced at the same time/batch/environment temperature so they all fit perfectly as polyresin cools naturally with 3% size deviance. Creating parts that needs to fit nicely with other parts created at a different batch can become tricky especially for cold cast polyresin (PVC is fine as the material itself doesn't have much shrinkage).

And of course there will be an inevitable delay - we are talking about potentially between at least 2 months with printing, approvals, master paint, protopaint etc. Logistically, warehousing costs incease as the original stocks are left there waiting for the new parts to be ready. Products that are supposed to ship together with other products in bulk containers for substantial savings now misses the boat (literally) and may end up costing more to ship at a different time.

There are actually a few more factors which are confidential in nature so I cannot disclose but as you can see, adding a new part can be complicated - the later it is, the more adverse the effects. Take Venom's head for instance. It was at a super late stage, we literally shipped out a few batches already lol. But it was a big deal to us because that 'imperfect' was a defect, it was wrong, it didn't follow our proto and it lost accuracy to the Mcfarlane feel which we knew was truly important to the piece. We couldn't please everyone though, some were really pissed and asked for refunds because they felt the 'defect' was unnoticeable and doesn't warrant the delay. I guess moral of the story is, for every one person who is willing to wait or pay for something extra, there's another person who is not as willing. We are many collectors from different countries, backgrounds and cultures - what is a big deal to one, is a small deal to another.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say we lead a hard life, on the contrary, I am fortunate to be working in this industry so I get behind-the-scenes perspectives. I share only because I believe many of you are genuinely interested in how things work and like reading long posts by me If nothing else, this kind of information is great for dinner conversations with your collector buddies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMISIS PRIME View Post
So is Quicksilver part of the Avengers line or xmen sentinel line we were having a small debate in one of the threads ? Is xm through with the 1/4 x men sentinel line up?
Quicksilver is part of the Xmen line up - his base has sentinel parts. Whatever the debate was, I hope you win

I wouldn't say we are through with the sentinel line up... but IMO I think the sentinel base is overdone ATM so we try to balance having too many sentinel bases for upcoming xmen (e.g. Weapon X, Brown Wolverine are not on sentinel base).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastballSpecial View Post
I know that Vader trio is getting reworked. Will he have any switch outs? If he has an arm/arms holding a lightsaber I'll be all in.
If we get ESB Vader options I'll cry.

Oh yes... much improvements this piece has undergone. But alas no switch outs - confidential business reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMISIS PRIME View Post
Please please rework black cat hair it's just not xm quality please is it too late?
I think the photos on our website is over exposed so lots of the hair details are washed out but would be great if you can be more specific? E.g. not enough strands? Too limpy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Bryan -- has a decision been made on the color of Storm's suit?

The silver paints used on Moonknight would be perfection for her. Perhaps a touch darker, but not by much.

Those paints really are too great to not have used on another character, and Storm really is the only one who would fit that bill.

(Also, the comic accurate suit is not white, it's silver)
Noted Milady! Decision pending because Seng's been busy with Hulkbuster. But don't worry. I'm watching this one for you and will most certainly snitch if its not going your way. If need be, I may need you to jump on skype and command him to do as you say or else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB-303 View Post
Shipping & preorder dates on the XM website would still be very helpful. I know delays are part of the game. But simply not to publish any information at all is really ridiculous.
I'm with you, it IS ridiculous!! The schedule has been changing non stop that making any dates becomes invalid almost the next week. I'll be screen capping this comment to use against Ben and insist we need to fix this ASAP. I'm as dissatisfied as you are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
O where, o where has my Transformers gone;
O where o where could they be?

Bryan, what is going on with my beloved metal people? They need someone to appreciate them for the rest of his days.
Heh... you'd see at least 2 at STGCC. Come to Singapore Stone... you know you want to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Bryan --

Is it possible for Batgirl to have two (2) display options? In the previewed sketch, she was facing the same direction as the goon buried in the rubble. However, the 3D render has her facing in the opposite direction of the goon. The 3D render takes up a larger display footprint (aka -- she sticks out a lot father).

Could XM design the base like Vultures only in Batgirl's case have attachment points on opposite sides of the base? That way she could attach to the base and be displayed as either the previewed sketch, OR the 3D render. AND the holes wouldn't show because they are on opposite sides of the base. Everything else would be the same. It's just two sets of attachment holes.

And about Red Skull -- why have the arm band and flag changed? Both were flawless before. Now the flag is a simple, boring design. And the arm band is black instead of red, which blends in with his jacket (and is not comic accurate).

Can XM please change those pieces back to what has been displayed at conventions? That piece is a SOTY contender with all its minute, comic accurate, flawless details. That statue is THE Red Skull. The changes seem unnecessary and lackluster.
Batgirl's base I agree is too large atm. When we get the physical proto, we will make adjustments to make it more compact as well as consider multiple display points like Vulture. As for Redskull, let's just say it was a matter of compliance and compromise - it's something that had to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_be View Post
Hi Bryan, congrats for the Samurai Line global license. will the ES be increased or will it stick under 1000 ?
Thanks! For the Samurai Line, I would prefer to keep it under 1,000 so it's consistent with the first few characters planned. I don't envision it increasing beyond 999 - that said, higher powers (this is now global) may change this but I would fight to keep it under 1000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColChickGen View Post
Hey bryan, is power rangers gonna be in this year's stgcc?
Yes! I can't wait to show it to you in person! Very very cool piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher2000 View Post
Hi Bryan!

About Red Skull: PLEASE put the symbole of the flag higher or make the flag longer/higher so the symbole is NOT covered by Red Skulls arm!!
On the flag itself, the symbol is placed in a logical area - any higher or lower it starts to look lopsided. Redskull's arm blocks it more from certain angles but the focus is on Redskull and the base has a clear symbol anyway (so does the top of the flag) so the flag itself really acts as a back drop and we feel there's no better way to position the symbol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Hi Bryan,

On Hulkbuster... it would be amazing to see lights on this bad boy in all areas that would have it (eg arc reactor, eyes, repuslers on hands feet etc). This amazing peice deserves it.

If it does though it would be great to see full led control maybe via remote. I know it sounds like a lot but you can buy full remote LED controllers these days for $50 that will allow you to control brightness, effects even the temperature of the LEDs! The circuit would be simple. Even if you made it so we could pay for an upgrade for something like that. It would be insane! As for maintenance, perhaps each LED part (where possible) is removable, like the repulsers hold in with magnets to allow easy access to replace an LED.

Spit balling a little but this will be the statue to set new grounds in the industry, I'd happily pay extra if the lighting system matched that benchmark!
It could be costly to add on remote lights but it is a great idea. We are pretty much sold out on Hulkbuster POs already so adding that in now would be tricky. Would discuss with the team but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrapro1 View Post
I received video my seller got visiting XM studio himself all
I needed was little more force putting back leg in. Crisis averted

Thanks XM
Glad you managed to sort it out. As other have mentioned, the forum is an informal place where I visit time to time to answer questions and share ideas. It is not the best place to get product support. Using our website support form would get your cases sorted out much faster.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:30 PM   #2535
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorudan View Post
Hey guys! Been while - been traveling back and fro between Thailand, Malaysia and China for operational and business stuff so I'm sorry not to have dropped in more often. SDCC looked really exciting! Wished we were there to see the amazing work and celebrities! Without further ado, answers to the questions!

There are actually a few more factors which are confidential in nature so I cannot disclose but as you can see, adding a new part can be complicated - the later it is, the more adverse the effects. Take Venom's head for instance. It was at a super late stage, we literally shipped out a few batches already lol. But it was a big deal to us because that 'imperfect' was a defect, it was wrong, it didn't follow our proto and it lost accuracy to the Mcfarlane feel which we knew was truly important to the piece. We couldn't please everyone though, some were really pissed and asked for refunds because they felt the 'defect' was unnoticeable and doesn't warrant the delay. I guess moral of the story is, for every one person who is willing to wait or pay for something extra, there's another person who is not as willing. We are many collectors from different countries, backgrounds and cultures - what is a big deal to one, is a small deal to another.

Noted Milady! Decision pending because Seng's been busy with Hulkbuster. But don't worry. I'm watching this one for you and will most certainly snitch if its not going your way. If need be, I may need you to jump on skype and command him to do as you say or else.
First, welcome back. Hope your travels went well and were productive. Always appreciate you taking the time to answer the questions despite your hectic schedule

Second, I said it in the Venom thread and I will say it again here. BIG Thanks to XM for listening to people's honest concerns and taking a solid look at the production pieces, and correcting the issue. Made all the difference in how that portrait turned out.

Last, and more important, Storm's suit . You give me whatever contact information (Skype, email, facebook live....) I need to ensure her suit is silver. SILVER. Seriously, whatever silver paint was used on Moon Knight will be perfect for Storm. That paint was beautiful and lights play well off it. I'm hoping she will be painted up for STGCC!
Old 07-24-2017, 03:59 PM   #2536
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Hey Bryan. Good to see you back.

So I see on the XM FB page GFX was announced... some of us are STILL waiting on replies from them via their on site contact page.
If they cant return multiple emails, how are they supposed to be relied upon to ship a $1k statue?
Old 07-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #2537
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
When will a list of statues at STGCC be revealed? How many statues is XM planning on having at the show this year? Are there any surprises at the show that have yet to be shown / revealed to the public yet?
Old 07-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #2538
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorudan View Post
I share only because I believe many of you are genuinely interested in how things work and like reading long posts by me
When they're so interesting, and yours always are, absolutely.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #2539
shorudan
XM Studios
Producer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
Hey Bryan. Good to see you back.

So I see on the XM FB page GFX was announced... some of us are STILL waiting on replies from them via their on site contact page.
If they cant return multiple emails, how are they supposed to be relied upon to ship a $1k statue?
Buddy, can you forward me your communications (bryan@xm-studios.com) I will look into this and see if it's a tech issue or if they really stuffed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
When will a list of statues at STGCC be revealed? How many statues is XM planning on having at the show this year? Are there any surprises at the show that have yet to be shown / revealed to the public yet?
The list is not confirmed yet as the factories are trying to rush out stuff - but having learnt the lesson from Thailand Comic Con, we are more careful of what we show lol. I'd say list finalization probably by mid next month (Aug). As for surprises... yup definitely some stuff never revealed before will be shown but I won't tell you what cuz it won't be a surprise anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
When they're so interesting, and yours always are, absolutely.
Show some respect and stop flirting with me - cuz I hate to admit it's working.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:57 PM   #2540
Shoo
Hercules

Fear not - I will still love you tomorrow.
Closed Thread