Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #121
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
I think prices the way they are now and the hit or miss QC and/or customer service, I think a lot more folks will be taking a hard look at their own collections. I’ll keep some Bowen’s in storage but no big pieces.
One thing I did too (when I minimized my collection) was sell any statue I had in storage. I figured if I wasn't displaying and enjoying the collectible, then why have it?

Every person has different criteria though so I'm not judging - just saying what has worked for me in this day and age of pricey collectibles and limited display space.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:44 PM   #122
XMRogue
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post
One thing I did too (when I minimized my collection) was sell any statue I had in storage. I figured if I wasn't displaying and enjoying the collectible, then why have it?

Every person has different criteria though so I'm not judging - just saying what has worked for me in this day and age of pricey collectibles and limited display space.
Definitely a rule I am going to have for statues.

Speaking of the word minimized, I went through a minimization phase where I applied these rules to pretty much everything I owned.

Clothes, books, movies, etc. I gave away or donated hundreds of items over the last two years. I own a ton less, but don't need any storage. And, things I had packed away weren't ever going to realistically get used again.

I sent maybe 200 movies to the troops overseas, and surprisingly they mailed me a letter and a patch as thanks. Felt very cool.
XMRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:48 PM   #123
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMRogue View Post
Definitely a rule I am going to have for statues.

Speaking of the word minimized, I went through a minimization phase where I applied these rules to pretty much everything I owned.

Clothes, books, movies, etc. I gave away or donated hundreds of items over the last two years. I own a ton less, but don't need any storage. And, things I had packed away weren't ever going to realistically get used again.

I sent maybe 200 movies to the troops overseas, and surprisingly they mailed me a letter and a patch as thanks. Felt very cool.
Classy move. I'm sure they appreciated them.

Also, regarding minimizing other collections, I have been doing the same thing. The cool thing is - I then keep the items I really love and I've been enjoying them more (since the clutter is gone).
Old 08-07-2018, 07:12 PM   #124
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post

Well, that makes perfect sense. I can’t get rid of the Bowen’s though. I remember a time when I didn’t make what I do now and I had to work my butt off just to get a Bowen. Can’t let those memories go. I have a rotating display that will have to do for now. 1/3 scale is too much coin and space and the 1/4 scalers I have to limit to my all-time favorite characters.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:59 PM   #125
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Well, that makes perfect sense. I can’t get rid of the Bowen’s though. I remember a time when I didn’t make what I do now and I had to work my butt off just to get a Bowen. Can’t let those memories go. I have a rotating display that will have to do for now. 1/3 scale is too much coin and space and the 1/4 scalers I have to limit to my all-time favorite characters.
That's cool. If you rotate them, I'm sure you're getting the enjoyment/memories out of them.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:18 AM   #126
Soulrain
Doh!

I do agree statues are expensive, but thats what make it fun! I only buy statues once every period of time. That way, it won't hurt much because u have certain budget to spend. The most important thing is to stay in control so u wont be off budget.
Soulrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:58 AM   #127
ghettodactyl
Frackin!

Statue/figure collecting does get expensive quick, especially with how prices have only gone up over the years. I lived in Japan for 6 years and collected a ton of mostly anime figures but a pretty big variety. Now that I’m moving back to the states I’m probably going to end up selling 90% of my collection in order to start collecting something else. I really just collected for the adventure of going out and finding things. It was fun while doing it but in the end most of the things I’ve accumulated I’d rather just sell off and start up a new hobby.

The bad thing about hobbies is there is always another hobby out there even more expensive than the one your currently doing. And sadly for me I have a bad tendency to start on new hobbies each time that are more expensive than my last one.
ghettodactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #128
Mister H
Gen 13

Although I’m not “Done”, I have decided to not get certain statues that I previously said I would be getting. Chief among those is the XM Studios Deathstroke. He really is fantastic, I can’t drop a thousand dollars on a non comic inspired sculpt though, and he’s 1/4 scale no less. (I should already have a SS Deathstroke already but he sucks) I’ll be limiting my buys from now on to pieces that have a profound effect on me like the IS Punisher or PCS Judge Dredd.

.....that will also free up $ for future gun purchases.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote