Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 05-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #641
protector2814
Phoenix

Dino; Living High In The Dirty Business Of Dreams by Nick Tosches.

My 2nd time around with this one. What an outstanding biography. I won't say Dean was the most complicated of the Rat Pack because Frank & Sammy certainly gave him a run for his money, but Tosches really does a great job exploring his motivation, professional & personal life & his crazy upbringing. Just a great read on a spectacular entertainer. The Jerry Lewis stuff is just mind-blowing.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #642
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Lord of the Flies. Time to re-explore a classic and horrifying story I haven't read since high school.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #643
Babytoxie
Ghost

Martin Dressler: The Tale of An American Dreamer (1996), by Steven Millhauser

I love Millhauser's short stories, but the longer his works get, the less I like them. This novel won the Pulitzer Prize, and I can't understand why.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #644
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Still slowly working my way through the Dresden Files books. Think I am on book 8. Sprinkled with many different monthly comics and random trades my local comic shop turns me onto.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #645
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Was watching "The Directors Chair" on El Rey with John Carpenter and he said "Escape from New York" was inspired by the Harry Harrison novel "Planet of No Return" so I am giving that a try.

Harrison is most famous for "Make Room! Make Room!" which was eventually changed substantially and made into the movie "Soylent Green"
TNovak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #646
travis
A.I.M.

Reread Gary Jennings "Aztec" My favorite novel of all time...Historically great, and tragic and long, but fascinating...I still cannot believe that they have not in a number of years made a film on the Conquest of Mexico or the Inca Empire yet....The ultimate IMHO clash of two(one modern,one ancient)cultures...It would be like the Brits in the 18th century going into the Roman empire...Jennings and his details are done so well.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #647
travis
A.I.M.

Another highly recommended author would be Andrew Vachss...Hit gritty style and detail fits into the NYC streets like no other. I think F Miller took some cues from him. I'm surprised no films were made of his books especially from the Burke series. Highly recommended...Read his first Burke book "Flood" first. you just might be hooked. I cant say enough
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:56 AM   #648
Spazzy
Hercules

Journey to the center if the earth jules Verne

Been a LONG time since reading a book (other than comic) so thought id ease into some adventure books got a bunch of his books.
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #649
dccowen
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Working my way through Veronica Roth's Divergent series. Nice light fast read. Should finish Allegiant this weekend.
dccowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #650
Whirl Wind Boy
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Reread Gary Jennings "Aztec" My favorite novel of all time...Historically great, and tragic and long, but fascinating...I still cannot believe that they have not in a number of years made a film on the Conquest of Mexico or the Inca Empire yet....The ultimate IMHO clash of two(one modern,one ancient)cultures...It would be like the Brits in the 18th century going into the Roman empire...Jennings and his details are done so well.
Those books of his are pretty good. Haven't read that one in a few years and was surprised i seen it here!

Whirl Wind Boy is offline   Reply With Quote