Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Home Economics > IT Department

Old 01-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #31
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brru View Post
Have you looked in your start up files for some ridiculously named files? Something like "mzjsjfdhf" under user startup. Try typing "msconfig" into your run bar. Go to either the "boot" or "startup" tab (the name depends on the Operating system). Should list all your start up files.

if you disable a bad file you might be able to stop it from starting, run a virus scan, and find it that way.
Yep tried that. Googled everything I didn't know and everything is legit. To add to the problem certain programs can no longer connect to the internet, including Mcafee. Ive run a few other things to try to root things out, including RKILL but everything is turning up nothing. This is the first time I have been completely stumped by a computer issue, I feel like I'm getting old.
Sinatra VonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #32
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinatra VonDoom View Post
It will send me to an attack sight maybe 1 out of 10 google searches. I'm using firefox at the moment and the security add on had kept me safe until today and I ended up getting a virus form the site it sent me to. I dealt with the virus no problem, but i can't find this damn Hijacker. It's not something that shows up in the program list. It's not from anything i installed. I must have picked it up on some less then reputable site.
1 - Sounds like you have the Google Redirect Virus. Do a search for it as there seem to be various solutions online.

2 - Found this regarding Firefox on this page. Plenty of suggestions regarding the Redirect virus...
http://www.google.com/support/forum/...67d5fec8&hl=en

"OK, so I think I finally fixed it. I tried everything above and nothing worked. Then I browsed more forums and found something about disabling add-ons in Firefox. I disable XUL Cache 1.0 and the problem STOPPED! I hope this helps anyone who has exhaustively tried EVERYTHING to no avail. I am SO GLAD to get rid of that nasty annoying virus! Let me know what you guys think."

3 - The other thing you could try is remove your hard drive, connect it to a SATA docking bay (if you can get a hold of one), connect it to another computer through USB and run an antivirus search on it.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #33
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal View Post
1 - Sounds like you have the Google Redirect Virus. Do a search for it as there seem to be various solutions online.

2 - Found this regarding Firefox on this page. Plenty of suggestions regarding the Redirect virus...
http://www.google.com/support/forum/...67d5fec8&hl=en

"OK, so I think I finally fixed it. I tried everything above and nothing worked. Then I browsed more forums and found something about disabling add-ons in Firefox. I disable XUL Cache 1.0 and the problem STOPPED! I hope this helps anyone who has exhaustively tried EVERYTHING to no avail. I am SO GLAD to get rid of that nasty annoying virus! Let me know what you guys think."

3 - The other thing you could try is remove your hard drive, connect it to a SATA docking bay (if you can get a hold of one), connect it to another computer through USB and run an antivirus search on it.
Wow, you are the man. Number 2 gave me the info I needed. Flushing the DNS seems to have cleared up the hijacking Now that I know what is was effecting I should be able to clear up the other problems today. Huge thanks brother, this has been such a pain in the ass.
Sinatra VonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #34
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinatra VonDoom View Post
Wow, you are the man. Number 2 gave me the info I needed. Flushing the DNS seems to have cleared up the hijacking Now that I know what is was effecting I should be able to clear up the other problems today. Huge thanks brother, this has been such a pain in the ass.

Great news indeed.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #35
Frankierock
Omega Red

Anyone having issues with IE9?? I know it's in the beta stage but it has crashed 3 times on me and the only way to get it back up is to restore it from an earlier date, or it will not work at all. Anyway to go back to IE8?
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #36
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankierock View Post
Anyone having issues with IE9?? I know it's in the beta stage but it has crashed 3 times on me and the only way to get it back up is to restore it from an earlier date, or it will not work at all. Anyway to go back to IE8?
* Close Internet Explorer and other programs
* Click Start, then Control Panel, add/remove programs (make sure show updates is ticked)
* Find Windows Internet Explorer 9 on the list of installed updates, right click on it and select Uninstall
* When a Uninstall an update dialog appears, click Yes. Follow the screen instructions to uninstall Internet Explorer 9
* Once the uninstall IE9 complete, restart the computer
* After the restart, the previous version of Internet Explorer that was on the computer is restored.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote