Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-27-2019, 07:55 PM   #25771
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood- 8/10

A little long but great acting especially by Pitt and Leo and that ending was unexpected and nuts! I heard some people didn't like the Bruce Lee scene but I thought it was pretty funny and was probably poking fun of his biggest fans that think he could win any fight.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:55 PM   #25772
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

The Current War 7/10

Solid cast. Dramatization of the battle over the electrification of America with Edison, Westinghouse and Tesla.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:49 AM   #25773
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

The Fog (1980) - 6.5/10

Heavy on atmosphere but light on suspense and scares. Narrative is pretty thin and doesn’t really do much beyond delivering an interesting premise but the setting and a lot the imagery are pretty great. Not one of Carpenter’s finer works but still enjoyable.

Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:11 AM   #25774
protector2814
Phoenix

The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967) - 8/10

What a beautiful movie that's part comedy (a lot), part fairy-tale, & part traditional Vampire tale. The music by composer, Komeda is just striking & flows everywhere as both one of the best horror' scores I've ever heard, & part whimsical & oddly joyful. Another "background note worth pointing out is the European snowscapes that, when often lit by moon light are just amazing' a Vampire movie taking place in an absolute winter wonderland!

Gorgeous Sharon Tate is kidnapped by Count Krolock & a humerous Van Helsing type character & his charming but idiot-helper go after her. They sneak into the Count's castle on the night he hosts his annual vampire-ball & the 2 heroes must navigate through a stunning setting filled with vampires. Tons of cinema-acurate Vampire' lore (no reflections/garlic/coffins/etc ... elevate the movie into the company of solid Vampire movies. It's a slow burn of a film, but one that is very satisfying & loads of fun to watch around Halloween.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:24 AM   #25775
Mister H
Gen 13

Any "scary" movie recommendations for a guy with a wife who jumps and screams at anything?
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:55 AM   #25776
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Any "scary" movie recommendations for a guy with a wife who jumps and screams at anything?
are you thinking scary movies for younger audience (like hocus pocus, monster squad, goonies) or scary movies not meant for younger audience but just aren't overly scary?
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:04 AM   #25777
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
or scary movies not meant for younger audience but just aren't overly scary?
Yeah, those. I thought Zombieland would be good but she couldn't make it through the first 10 minutes.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:18 AM   #25778
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)

Gorgeous Sharon Tate
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #25779
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

I didnt quite get to finish my apocalypse trilogy marathon but I should be able to finish that up tonight and post reviews tomorrow

I haven't been slacking though! still managed to watch some scary movies, halloween horror fest movies #31-34!

US - Jordan Peele is doing a great job making some really unique and fun horror movies. US was very strange, but in a refreshing way, I think Jordan is breathing some new life into the horror genre, similar to Ari Aster, both directors to watch out for going forward. I did prefer Get Out a bit more than US, but they were both great 8/10

Hell Fest - I was really pleasantly surprised with this movie, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. One of the most important things to me in horror is the setting/atmosphere and this movie did a great job with both, an enormous horror theme park with rides, music, lights, several different haunted houses that the viewer gets to see, and of course the constant threat of a killer lurking around every corner at all times. This movie was a lot of fun to watch, and it even had a brief but memorable cameo from Tony Todd (Candyman). It also had a really great twist at the end regarding the killer, something I've never seen in a horror movie before 8.5/10

Better Watch Out - Typically I like to save my Christmas themed horror movies until December (Silent Night Deadly Night, Black Christmas, Christmas Evil are some of my favorites that I try and watch each December) but I just picked up this movie so I wanted to give it a watch. It was fairly entertaining, had an interesting twist on the typical home invasion type of movie, sort of like a very deranged home alone. This one isn't as good as any of my holiday mainstays I mentioned above, and im not sure if it will be a regular in my holiday rotation, but definitely worth a watch 7/10

The Final Wish - Not even the great Lin Shaye could elevate this movie past mediocrity. Its kind of a take on the classic monkeys paw story, with wishes gone awry and all that, think Wishmaster, but a lot less fun 6/10
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:08 PM   #25780
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
I've always enjoyed the original Fright Night. Never got around to seeing the remake.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote