Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 04-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Reme Lebeau
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!
Adamantium Member

Gambit Danger Room Series Fine Art Statue Revisit

I thought this very cool statue deserved some renewed attention so I shot an introduction vid and some new pics.

You can check out more on this statue at my blog:

X-men: Statues of Future Past: Kotobukiya X-men Danger Room Session Gambit Fine Art Statue
Reme Lebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Hellsbells51
Nightwing

Love this statue of Gambit! Thanks for sharing Reme! I can only point out a few negatives which are the slim head and the hair detail, but I understand the breakage issue if it were to be detailed.

Another homerun for Erick!
Hellsbells51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

I like this statue a lot. It is not the Sideshow PF but for the scale and the price, it is a beauty. When I get home tonight, I'll check your video and your blog. You are an excellent reviewer.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
BarrelCannon
Nightwing

Its an amazing piece. When I bought it I had the chance of getting the gambit pf for 300 more or this koto one. I still don't regret going with him. I love the pose and facial expression. The base detail Is insane. The only thing that hurts it is.the paint app overall could have been better. I'm thinking of opening him to modify the light inside the base to something a bit brighter. Has anyone attempted that before? I want to know if its possible
BarrelCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
gomur
The Tick

Thanks for revisiting this statue, Reme. I feel it's terribly underrated because everyone feels compelled to compare it to the Sideshow PF. Stop it. This statue has the perfect pose for Gambit and the paint application is great from the pics I've seen and my own. PLUS, and this is a major one for me, you get the kinetic energy cards STANDARD. I think a cocky grin would've made this statue perfect, but it's got everything else that screams Ragin' Cajun.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
Thanks for revisiting this statue, Reme. I feel it's terribly underrated because everyone feels compelled to compare it to the Sideshow PF. Stop it. This statue has the perfect pose for Gambit and the paint application is great from the pics I've seen and my own. PLUS, and this is a major one for me, you get the kinetic energy cards STANDARD. I think a cocky grin would've made this statue perfect, but it's got everything else that screams Ragin' Cajun.
True. I even like the smirk on his face and the 5 o'clock shadow. Hey, I look 10 years older when I don't shave for a couple days!! Why not Gambit?!
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
Reme Lebeau
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsbells51 View Post
Love this statue of Gambit! Thanks for sharing Reme! I can only point out a few negatives which are the slim head and the hair detail, but I understand the breakage issue if it were to be detailed.

Another homerun for Erick!
It's my pleasure. I agree there are indeed some slight shortcomings to the piece, but Sosa did knock it out of the park!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
I like this statue a lot. It is not the Sideshow PF but for the scale and the price, it is a beauty. When I get home tonight, I'll check your video and your blog. You are an excellent reviewer.
Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelCannon View Post
Its an amazing piece. When I bought it I had the chance of getting the gambit pf for 300 more or this koto one. I still don't regret going with him. I love the pose and facial expression. The base detail Is insane. The only thing that hurts it is.the paint app overall could have been better. I'm thinking of opening him to modify the light inside the base to something a bit brighter. Has anyone attempted that before? I want to know if its possible
No a bad idead. I haven't heard of anyone doing it, but I'd say its worth a shot. Let us know how it goes if you decide to do it.

Quote:
Again it's my pleasure. I'm surprised folks compare it to the SS PF, it's not even in the same league. A better comparison is the Bowen Gambit, and I think this one takes the prize between those two. This is the only one Koto wins over Bowen in my book though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
True. I even like the smirk on his face and the 5 o'clock shadow. Hey, I look 10 years older when I don't shave for a couple days!! Why not Gambit?!
Interesting point.
Reme Lebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reme Lebeau View Post
Again it's my pleasure. I'm surprised folks compare it to the SS PF, it's not even in the same league. A better comparison is the Bowen Gambit, and I think this one takes the prize between those two. This is the only one Koto wins over Bowen in my book though.
I'll admit to not owning any Bowen statues, but I do appreciate their artistic direction. The style seems a bit retro and almost pre-modern or early modern comics. That said, I don't think I've seen a Bowen Psylocke or Colossus that even compares to the ones Erick sculpted.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
crankyjammies
I am da law!

Quote:
I'll admit to not owning any Bowen statues, but I do appreciate their artistic direction. The style seems a bit retro and almost pre-modern or early modern comics. That said, I don't think I've seen a Bowen Psylocke or Colossus that even compares to the ones Erick sculpted.
I agree, Erick's Colossus is massive and super detailed compared to that of Bowen's. Plus the pose is super kinetic as compared to the static one of Bowen. The same could be said for Psylocke although I have seen some Psylocke statues with paint app issues.

Let's not forget about the Spider-man statue that Erick Sculpted. Compared to the plain ones that Bowen has, this statue is sick. Also the upcoming Venom and Hulk statues look like they're gonna be amazing too! KOTO AND ERICK SOSA ROCKS! Nuff said.
crankyjammies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
IIISeraphIII
Frackin!

all this Koto Gambit chat made me purchase one... little over retail but not by much. Can't wait, been a Gambit fan since the Jim Lee days + cartoon series and videogames from 90's. Now I got the bug of the DRS line and just bought a Colossus too! Psyloche is still hard to find at a decent price but I'll keep hunting (any help would be awesome!). Just received the Bowen Magneto not long ago and I find it to be a perfect fit with the DRS (I bought Cyclops too)

I really hope Erick creates a few more before his apparent departure to other projects...Iceman, Rogue, Storm, etc..too many to list!
IIISeraphIII is offline   Reply With Quote