Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-24-2017, 07:21 PM   #1001
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I think the reason behind the hair colour choice is obvious, they're going for a more realistic look. The typical red that people associate with RS doesn't happen naturally in reality. It's way too vivid. The only way a woman achieves that look is by dying her hair.

A natural red hair colour, sits somewhere between ginger (orange) and brunette - take a look at the hair from the woman who plays Sansa Stark (from Game of Thrones tv series) or Rose Leslie...... their natural colour rings true to the palette used on this statue.

Obviously I can't speak about the final production piece, but the concept is a winner.
I'm glad someone else here realizes that red hair doesn't have to be the color of a fire hydrant to be considered red.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:51 AM   #1002
Haruffin
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
I'm glad someone else here realizes that red hair doesn't have to be the color of a fire hydrant to be considered red.
While I agree, the pics I've seen of the upcoming statue are not red, but plain brunette.

I don't currently have access to a calibrated monitor, and don't know how seriously Sideshow takes color accuracy in their official photographs, so hard to say for sure.
Haruffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #1003
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruffin View Post
While I agree, the pics I've seen of the upcoming statue are not red, but plain brunette.

I don't currently have access to a calibrated monitor, and don't know how seriously Sideshow takes color accuracy in their official photographs, so hard to say for sure.
While I accept that everyone will see something different in terms of color and shade, I would politely ask that we don't turn this thread into a hair colour scandal.

There will be a number of reasons why people will choose to not buy this statue, for you it's maybe the hair colour. It's ok, of course, to raise that point.....but, it's nice for those who do like the statue, and who wish to buy it (based on what they can see) to enjoy the thread without repetitive criticism of the same point.

Let's agree to disagree on the hair colour.

I wish you all the best in your collecting, it's a shame this statue won't be part of your collection!

I'm sure, in the future, there will be a statue that you like and I don't like. In that case you are invited to request the same restraint of my opinion
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:35 AM   #1004
|Tch0rT|
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:

I do and have paint/photo programs. It’s an orange/brown. I’d like it more red but the statue is too awesome not to have. Here’s a crude pic of me sampling from the screen cap a few pages back of the dark, medium, and light areas of her hair. It should be a little more vivid IRL since the color is converted to the Rec709/sRGB colorspace limitations of the current standard of digital display tech.

|Tch0rT| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #1005
dechirico7
The Flash

LMAO!!!!!

I just have to laugh and smh.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:55 AM   #1006
Haruffin
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post
I do and have paint/photo programs. It’s an orange/brown. I’d like it more red but the statue is too awesome not to have. Here’s a crude pic of me sampling from the screen cap a few pages back of the dark, medium, and light areas of her hair. It should be a little more vivid IRL since the color is converted to the Rec709/sRGB colorspace limitations of the current standard of digital display tech.

You can not make a proper analysis when the original was shot on a showroom floor with unknown and mixed lighting temps with a camera with unknown calibration, using a color space which may or may not have been converted properly to sRGB. Same point I was making in my previous post.
Haruffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:56 AM   #1007
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

When I look at this photo, I see a natural red hair.

Yes, there are brown tones in it, but it is how red hair occurs in nature (unless the hair is strawberry blonde). We have two other Red Sonja statues with fire hydrant/candy-apple/STOP sign red hair, so I am totally OK with this one being different.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:10 AM   #1008
dechirico7
The Flash

The hair color reminds me of Sansa Stark....and she is a redhead.

I can't believe I am contributing to such a petty topic, but there you go.

dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:33 AM   #1009
French Cancan
Deadman

The dyes kill hair. Red Sonja knows that perfectly. Leave her alone.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:00 AM   #1010
|Tch0rT|
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
You can not make a proper analysis when the original was shot on a showroom floor with unknown and mixed lighting temps with a camera with unknown calibration, using a color space which may or may not have been converted properly to sRGB. Same point I was making in my previous post.
I said it was crude. I know how to manually calibrate displays with colorimeters and I know about color standards. No one knows for sure except SS and the artist that painted it. I’m not about to analyze every photo of it but everyone of them looks similar enough. Yes lighting can impact the colors. I get it that it’s “Red” Sonja, it’s a minor complaint compared to how amazing this piece is. You’ve talked enough of your disappointment in this thread about the print and hair color how about moving on to something you do like or QQ and make your own RS?
|Tch0rT| is offline   Reply With Quote