Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #24161
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
yeah maybe i was too harsh, i really cant fault it for anything except i didnt really understand how the stepdaughter angle was important to the story. it wasnt distracting and i understood what it was trying to get across just didnt see how it related to the story being told about the robbers. also i have a difficult time giving anything a perfect 10...

HEAT - 9.5/10
It’s important because it further supports the parallel between Hanna and McCauley in that they’re both incapable of maintinaing any deep or meaningful relationships due to their obsessions with their respective professions. In the case of McCauley it’s having no attatchements because he knows it’ll be his undoing. In Hanna’s case it’s his third failed marriage and his absence takes a serious toll on his stepdaughter. Whether that’s not being there for her as a positive male role model (since her real father is an ass) or being their for Justine so she can be a better mother and not popping pills or sleeping around. The point is they both end up hurting the ones they love because their true love is the job.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:12 PM   #24162
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

BlacKkKlansman (2018) - Ron Stallworth, an African-American police officer from Colorado, successfully manages to infiltrate the local Ku Klux Klan with the help of a white surrogate, who eventually becomes head of the local branch.

Definitely one of Spike Lee's better films. 8/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #24163
moon_knight1971
Rescue

BLEACH -a Netflix original live action film based on an anime 7/10
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #24164
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Groundhog Day - 7.5/10
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:52 AM   #24165
Dirt Torpedo
The Thunderbolts

The Meg......4/10 just dreadful.
Dirt Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #24166
Python
Omega Red

Solo: A star Wars story 7/10

I went in to this with pretty low expectations, TLJ left a seriously bitter taste in my mouth, and I'd heard very mixed opinions about this. I was pleasantly surprised by it. It wasn't exactly what I expected, and that's fine. I was also worried about the guy playing Han after seeing the trailers, but he wasn't too bad tbf. It's a shame this movie is the first Star Wars to bomb as it really isn't a bad movie. I suspect TLJ is to blame for that however, why would people rush back to another Star Wars movie after that rubbish? Hopefully Blu ray sales will be high enough to encourage the sequels to this as I'd actually like to see more. The droid was OTT however, they're pushing too far in the wrong direction there and forgetting how important subtlety can be. R2 is memorable, K2SO was on the limits, but a likable enough character to get away with it. Even with the lighter tone, the droid in this was just too much. Plenty of good stuff to make up for it however. Side note, why is the thread for Solo deleted? I was looking forward to discussing it...

Avengers: Infinity War 8/10

I didn't mind the first one, but these aren't really my cup of tea. I didn't like the second at all personally. They're just too much, the opening of AOU with multiple characters flipping and spinning in slow motion just set a bad tone and didn't really get better from there. So this is another one that surprised my relatively low expectations. Obviously this is still OTT to the max and full of that kind of thing, but it does enough right and somehow managers to contain the huge cast without losing the plot. Maybe I was just in a better frame of mind and should watch AOU again, who knows.

I think the fact that the GOTG and Thor movies are by far my favorite Marvel properties helps, as they feature prominently here, Thor especially. And Thanos was an interesting villain which makes a big difference. He was disappointingly poor CGI however which is one of my biggest complaints of the movie. The other being that the big twist ending clearly won't stick as Marvel has too much money contained withing those characters, so it wasn't particularly believable or emotional. Other than that, it was a fun ride....
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #24167
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Solo: A star Wars story 7/10

I went in to this with pretty low expectations, TLJ left a seriously bitter taste in my mouth, and I'd heard very mixed opinions about this. I was pleasantly surprised by it. It wasn't exactly what I expected, and that's fine. I was also worried about the guy playing Han after seeing the trailers, but he wasn't too bad tbf. It's a shame this movie is the first Star Wars to bomb as it really isn't a bad movie. I suspect TLJ is to blame for that however, why would people rush back to another Star Wars movie after that rubbish? Hopefully Blu ray sales will be high enough to encourage the sequels to this as I'd actually like to see more. The droid was OTT however, they're pushing too far in the wrong direction there and forgetting how important subtlety can be. R2 is memorable, K2SO was on the limits, but a likable enough character to get away with it. Even with the lighter tone, the droid in this was just too much. Plenty of good stuff to make up for it however. Side note, why is the thread for Solo deleted? I was looking forward to discussing it...
Yeah, it’s a shame members here couldn’t conduct themselves in a respectful manner. Instead the Solo thread devolved into another b!tch fest regarding the direction the franchise has taken since Disney took over. Those who have their neckbeards in a twist wouldn’t stop throwing shade long enough for those who actually enjoyed Solo to discuss it in an intelligentual fashion. Glad to hear you enjoyed Solo though. I agree with all your sentiments too. Gave it an 8/10 myself.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:12 PM   #24168
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

I really liked Solo. Looking forward to my copy on Tuesday.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #24169
Python
Omega Red

I got lucky, my Blu ray arrived 4 days early. Glad it did also, I'll probably watch it again at some point next week. The sign of a good movie if ever there was one for me.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #24170
Mister H
Gen 13

I thought Solo was good as well. Shame it didn’t make more money.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote