IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:21 AM   #542
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
15 year old me highly approved this decision.
The times of Aerosmith and music vidoes propelling careers. I love Clueless to this day and think she's a fun actress. Nothing too deep, but she's not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
I was around when Batman 4 came out and I do not remember the reaction to Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl being bad. However, this was way before the internet, Twitter, etc so if it was happening today it might have been different. She was the "It" girl around that time period in the 90's. I was thinking that it was great that portraying Batgirl. I think some people thought "why is she not a redhead" and was wondering why they did not die her hair like they did with Uma Thurman when she portrayed Poison Ivy. However, I also thought that the original Bat-Girl (Betty Kane) was a blonde so I did not have a problem with it in the long run (wish that the movie would have been better though-maybe I need to go back and rewatch it).
Oh don't rewatch, it's still REALLY bad But it's not bad because she is Batgirl, it was just poor writing IMO and too much crammed into a movie. Alicia was just fine to be as Batgirl.

As much as I love Poison Ivy, I think she's a hard character - even with all the craziness of Batman - to make work in movie form. CGI has to be on point and her costume can't be stupidly campy.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:24 AM   #543
SONICobra
Batman

looks AWESOME, cant wait
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:45 AM   #544
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Wow, apparently that actually is Colin Farrell as Oswald Cobblepot/The Penguin (an early version of the character according to Matt Reeves)...crazy transformation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Penguin.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	132715  
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:10 AM   #545
Augen
Green Arrow

It's wild. I'm not a big Batman fan, but this character has been done well and differently so many times...and I'll still go see him.

From West, Keaton, Conroy, Bale, Affleck, and now Pattinson Bruce Wayne has a storied past of excellent casting.

Also, playing one of my favorite Nirvana songs? Reeves, you got me hooked!
Augen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:17 AM   #546
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
The times of Aerosmith and music vidoes propelling careers. I love Clueless to this day and think she's a fun actress. Nothing too deep, but she's not bad.

Oh don't rewatch, it's still REALLY bad But it's not bad because she is Batgirl, it was just poor writing IMO and too much crammed into a movie. Alicia was just fine to be as Batgirl.

As much as I love Poison Ivy, I think she's a hard character - even with all the craziness of Batman - to make work in movie form. CGI has to be on point and her costume can't be stupidly campy.
She was pretty crazy in "The Crush", which I imagine was what landed her Batgirl, but that Batman movie was doomed anyway. Way too much going on and and the studio and producer were much too into making toys.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:18 AM   #547
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
looks AWESOME, cant wait
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:49 PM   #548
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
So now we're rationalizing and saying its ok to race bend pander because its 2020? Just because its all the rage now doesnt make it the right thing to do. I remeber a time when you guys were against such things. Sorry I wont give in to that culture. Plenty of other opportunities to represent or diversify.
Some people are offended (youngrippa59 comes to mind) they are given tokenized characters instead of new ones with great stories, while others don't care. We can't even have a grown up discussion about it because you'll be called names. In the case of Gordon, I don't feel it's an issue as his race isn't important to his character. Batman would be tougher to change as he comes from really old money and had ancestors going back to the Revolutionary War.

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
When they first started doing the gender/race swaps it did bother me but then I got used to it, I thought Zendaya did a great job as MJ in Spider-Man... Anna Diop also turned out to be a good Starfire in Titans... I even thought Halle Berry was sexy as hell as Catwoman to bad the story was horrible...

That being said so far they have only done race swaps to secondary characters, not sure how well it would go over if they did it to main characters like Superman.

I do agree DC/Marvel need to create more new minority lead characters in their comics and movies, In the long run that's the best solution... DC should really do a John Stewart Green Lantern Movie...
Race or gender swaps can be cool as long as that's not what's focused on. I prefer a good story. Berry was indeed hot in the role and they never focused on race, just like the Blade movies. I never saw an issue about Starfire. You aren't going to find an actual orange alien with powers to cast in the role.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:30 PM   #549
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
Some people are offended (youngrippa59 comes to mind) they are given tokenized characters instead of new ones with great stories, while others don't care. We can't even have a grown up discussion about it because you'll be called names. In the case of Gordon, I don't feel it's an issue as his race isn't important to his character. Batman would be tougher to change as he comes from really old money and had ancestors going back to the Revolutionary War.

Race or gender swaps can be cool as long as that's not what's focused on. I prefer a good story. Berry was indeed hot in the role and they never focused on race, just like the Blade movies. I never saw an issue about Starfire. You aren't going to find an actual orange alien with powers to cast in the role.
Actually it would have been easy to take a white actress and put that fake tan spray on her that makes your skin appear orange(ish), it would have made Starfire look more like the comics...

That said Anna has done a great job with the acting plus when she goes into combat they use CGI to make her look glowy... I think it was a good compromise...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #550
jeremydmc
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
It's wild. I'm not a big Batman fan, but this character has been done well and differently so many times...and I'll still go see him.

From West, Keaton, Conroy, Bale, Affleck, and now Pattinson Bruce Wayne has a storied past of excellent casting.

Also, playing one of my favorite Nirvana songs? Reeves, you got me hooked!
Seconded!
jeremydmc is online now   Reply With Quote