Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > The Spoken Word

Old 09-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #1
FROBAY
Phoenix

Interview with XM Creative Director Seng Ang

XM Creative Director Seng was nice enough to answer some questions for us. Check out the XM Studios site www.xm-studios.com and continue to support them as they support us!

Typically, interviews ask you the same questions. Favorite sculpt, who you want to sculpt and so on. I think if they want your bio, they can Google it. Let's get into the questions we really want to know. The stupid ones...ok, we'll throw a couple of work related ones in there.

Could you give a brief outline of how you got to where you are in your career?
My family wasn't wealthy, as a young boy, I decided to star working earlier to help alleviate financial burden (which is possibly a reason I'm very hard on myself, my expectations of my fellow artists). I left school when I was a teenager, and set up my own hobby shop where I painted garage kits for a living.

Who is your Hero?
My father for he taught me the skills, patience and was always supportive of me pursing my dream and hobby.

The World is ending in 24Hrs. What will you do?
Spend every last second with my wife and 2 boys, and eat Chicken Rice!

First licensed piece you worked on?
That would be the XM's Marvel 1/4 scale premium range. To clarify, I'm not a sculptor or illustrator. As XM's creative director, my job is to provide creative direction, concepts, inputs on statue poses, practicality, art direction and the overall aesthetics of a statue. When certain statues do not meet my expectations, I would personally modify the sculpt or sculpt bases from scratch. I'm also the Chief Painter so all statues are personally hand painted by me as the master prototype for Factories to reference. I also make regular trip to coach and ensure painting QC is done properly. Please note that I'm only part of the team so I wouldn't claim XM products as "my" work. My valuable team mates and fellow artists of designers and sculptors are people who make it all possible.

What’s the First job you ever had?
Sell chicken rice at street side haha!

Name some recent or current projects your involved in
There's a lot! XM Studios has recently acquired several new licenses and I'm pretty much involve with ALL of them haha! At the moment, I'm pushing the creative boundaries with Star Wars, Batman, Top cow, Jade Dynasty... and some new stuff I'm not allowed to share yet.

What do you collect?
Funnily enough, I don't collect any statues! I'm surrounded by Statues in my studios for over a decade so I don't really buy and collect statues to keep at home. If there is one thing I would like to collect - that would be SLEEP!

Your Home alone. Your house is on fire. You can save only 1 thing. What is it?
My super soaker! With that, I can douse out the fire and save everything else! Otherwise, it would be my airbrush! I still got a lot of statues to paint!

Favorite Movie?
Am I allowed to pick only one? That's tough... but maybe I'll go with Alien, the first movie. Or Star Wars. Or maybe Predator. Or....

Worst and greatest Job you ever took on?
I know it sounds fluffy but there's no worse job I can think of. Everything I've worked on taught me things which have helped shape my progression. Greatest job would be all the XM statues I work on. I get to work with all sorts of talented geniuses - it's a dream come true.

Who do you most admire in your Industry?
Takayuki Takeya, a Japanese Master Sculptor. I'm a huge admirer of his work and style.

You Just won the Lotto, will you keep making art?
Yes, until the day I’m no longer able to hold an Air brush

Describe your style and what do you think makes XM Studios products special?
As a creative person, I admit that I'm probably not the easiest person to work with - and it doesn't help that I'm very particular about my vision and art direction. Some people may call this stubbornness (which can be true to a certain extent) but I also see it as being focused and doing what I, as XM's Creative Director, believe is best for XM. It is my duty and responsibility. Do I make the right decisions all the time? Of course not! Like everyone else, I'm not perfect and I do recognize the need for me to continue to learn every single day. I would like to take this chance to thank all the designers, artists and sculptors who I've had the pleasure of teaming up with - Thank you all for being patient, understanding and tolerant with me. Remember, nothing worth having is ever easy. It shouldn't be easy to be amazing. Then everything would be. It's the things we fight for and struggle with before earning that have the greatest worth.

Last but not least, I also want to give a special shout out to the hidden and unseen designers - the community and the customers! These are the red bulls, the energy drinks that always push us harder and further. It is only with the passionate comments and feedback from the people that truly matters, that XM can help to give our very best in creating all these wonderful pieces of art. Everyone, keep collecting and keep having fun!
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
XMAN
Ultron

Great interview Frobay....thank for posting
XMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

Thanks for posting!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #4
GrumpyBear
Scarlet Witch

Nice one.
GrumpyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #5
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Great read.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:33 PM   #6
Restinpieces
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Awesome
Restinpieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #7
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

Pretty funny! Nothing better than good humor with hard work.
d rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:35 PM   #8
The Co11ector
Birdman
Adamantium Member

This interview makes me respect XM's work even more. A+, thank you for sharing.
The Co11ector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:55 AM   #9
dao2
Cyclops

nice interview
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:30 AM   #10
Peedi
Deathstroke

Awesome!
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote