Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 05-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #31
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestic1 View Post
Translucent resin and insanely detailed bases incoming.
Translucent resin really is something.
The Major from Weta is the only statue in my collection that uses translucent resin, and it really makes a difference.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #32
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
"Personally"?

I get the thing about (admittedly huge) delays, but reading some of those comments you'd think PCS has acted like Sideshow has with the Predator license - ie, screwing up over and over, and that just doesn't feel right.
I read the ones on the Prime 1 group, so maybe you're seeing worse ones than I do. I see the overall reaction as being no worse than when XM became direct competition to Sideshow with their (albeit limited) 1:4 Marvel license or Hot Toys with the 1:6 Star Wars figures. Considering P1 is similarly participatory in the comments as Jerry is on here, people are airing their grievances now in hopes not only that Prime 1 will improve on the ground PCS laid but also so that PCS will improve in response. I think that's healthy, regardless of the reactionary tone, which, like I said, it's Facebook.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #33
Vendetta
The X-Men

The timing of this announcement is rather bad (or good, depending on your stance), as it's basically right before PCS Chun-Li preorders start. I think a number of collectors, including myself, have been on the fence on dropping $800-900+ on one (or more) 1/3 Chun-Li's, and this announcement does give me pause to doing so.
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #34
SONICobra
Batman

might finally have an akuma then... i liked the realistic approach pcs was taking with the sf line but they seem to have abandoned that for more faithful in game designs. for most im sure thats preferable but i cant get past the exaggerated features like huge hands and feet. if prime1 puts their signature realistic take ill most likely be in for at least one or two
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #35
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Don't Forget PrototypeZ... They are in the SF game too. Again Hopefully all this competition will ultimately help the customer.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #36
archery
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Very interesting. Looking forward to the approach Prime1 take with Street Fighter. Would like to see a more realistic interpretation of the characters to distinguish from what PCS are doing.

If Prime 1 don't have anything to show in the near future then this announcement was definitely timed to put a dent in a certain upcoming preorder.
archery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #37
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by archery View Post
Very interesting. Looking forward to the approach Prime1 take with Street Fighter. Would like to see a more realistic interpretation of the characters to distinguish from what PCS are doing.

If Prime 1 don't have anything to show in the near future then this announcement was definitely timed to put a dent in a certain upcoming preorder.
Agreed. The only negative I see from this announcement is that it's one more license P1 will have me passing on pieces to budget for just to get a year or two of nothing but teasers.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #38
Grifterr
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
My guess is, Prime1 will focus on using data direct from the games,
applying their usual impressive paint apps, no mixed media, and epic bases.

This is quite different to PCS and their Chun-Li 1/3 which offers more of an artists impression,
even if the head sculpt made use of the 3D data from the game. Then there's the mixed media difference.

Assuming i bag a PCS Chun-Li 1/3, i just might end up with a Prime1 Chun-Li at some point also

This data collecting and turning it into a statue negates the human touch for me and feels to me like taking a shortcut Why not design something from scratch for a change? I want to see an artistic impression of a character. But hey to each their own.
Grifterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #39
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifterr View Post
This data collecting and turning it into a statue negates the human touch for me and feels to me like taking a shortcut Why not design something from scratch for a change? I want to see an artistic impression of a character. But hey to each their own.
Sounds like PrototypeZ might be more your style (well, if you like Eric Sosa's direction.)

I don't think the human touch is lost with PCS pieces at all. In fact, one my main dilemmas with the Chun Li PO is, despite the portrait for all three versions being printed from the same data, I like the makeup paint app significantly more than the one for my favorite costume. They're also good at varying the expressions depending on what they're trying achieve with each line. I like the V-Trigger Chun Li just as much for entirely different reasons.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #40
archery
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifterr View Post
Unless they are going exclusively with SFV, statues based on any of the other games will require new sculpts from P1 (since the art was all sprite based or used low res models).

Even the great Erick Sosa's interpretation of Ryu left a lot of people feeling cold, so it will take something special from P1 to wrestle customers away from PCS.

I'm a huge PCS fan and each SF piece they release tops the last, but this is the wake up call they needed to accelerate the production line. If Prime 1 start showing WIPs soon, then I can foresee several P1 pieces being released before PCS 1/3 Chun Li gets to market and that will not be good for PCS.
archery is offline   Reply With Quote