Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-16-2019, 02:30 PM   #31
Valderen
The Spirit

I think SS has moved past the "collectible" aspect of the hobby, and is simply making the ES as high as the market will sustain, and letting the "collectable" aspect to the other smaller companies.

You can't blame them really, if they can sell 3000, why limit themselves to 1000. So that collectors can flip their statue at a profit within months of buying it?

What kind of impact will it have in the long term, not much to be honest...those that in it for the investment will move to different companies, and the rest who just collect for the pleasure of displaying them will keep on buying from them.

The price have increase a huge amount in the last few years and we have a thread about big ES, so it doesn't look like an increase in price had a negative impact in sales, at least not enough to stop increasing price still. Probably more profitable for them to have higher price with slightly lower ES.

For me the ES never mattered, I never bought to resell. The price hike though has me almost out of the hobby. 1 statue only in 2019 compared to 4-6 a year before.
Valderen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:41 PM   #32
Ginormousthumbs
Blue Falcon

Remember when SS Live episodes were an hour, sometimes longer?
Today’s epi was 20 minutes.
Ginormousthumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:58 PM   #33
House
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginormousthumbs View Post
Remember when SS Live episodes were an hour, sometimes longer?
Today’s epi was 20 minutes.
Don't even watch the live segments since Susan left.
House is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:28 PM   #34
chronos1919
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
It's a real shame. She was such a great presence to promote the company.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:16 PM   #35
BlackestNight
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valderen View Post
I think SS has moved past the "collectible" aspect of the hobby, and is simply making the ES as high as the market will sustain, and letting the "collectable" aspect to the other smaller companies.

You can't blame them really, if they can sell 3000, why limit themselves to 1000. So that collectors can flip their statue at a profit within months of buying it?

What kind of impact will it have in the long term, not much to be honest...those that in it for the investment will move to different companies, and the rest who just collect for the pleasure of displaying them will keep on buying from them.

The price have increase a huge amount in the last few years and we have a thread about big ES, so it doesn't look like an increase in price had a negative impact in sales, at least not enough to stop increasing price still. Probably more profitable for them to have higher price with slightly lower ES.

For me the ES never mattered, I never bought to resell. The price hike though has me almost out of the hobby. 1 statue only in 2019 compared to 4-6 a year before.

BlackestNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #36
toe
Alpha Flight

I understand the situation of increasing cost, so i'm not gonna say anything about it.

One thing I really want Sideshow to do is produce more B-C-list marvel characters. They can keep making X-men and Avengers but it would be nice if they also produce other characters. Or perhaps alternative costume of A-list characters like X-Force versions.
toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #37
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
Same.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #38
moyiori
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I totally understand the whole supply vs demand, and why limit yourself to 1,000 when you can sell 3,000.

But you also devalue your brand when you overly produce an item, what happens when you sell 1,000 of those statues and you have 2,000 sitting in your warehouse over 2-4 years ? The value of your products diminish over time if they sit in a warehouse, and most will buy used rather than take the full retail hit.

With that logic it should cost less to produce 3,000 and cost should be less. I get that the MTO limits the amount of statues you can sell, but also limits the size of storage needed, creates more fascination to your statues and keeps people coming to your site to ensure they don't miss out.
moyiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:44 PM   #39
tonytiger
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valderen View Post

That's the problem with this Hobby.. High Prices plus plastic instead of poly-stone,QC issues ect..You really have be selective with buying these as prices are dropping on some of them big time.I'm not selling them because i need to make money either.I'm lucky to even get half of the original cost..Your taste change over time..The old saying buying only what you truly love and are going to keep forever..Or don't even start..
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #40
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyiori View Post
Figured as the discussion's about this is buried within statue threads, maybe just have a thread about it.
https://statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=165628

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote