Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 10-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #21
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrothy View Post
Precisely. Humans are a dead-end host (no pun intended). Bats are the natural host of the virus, so the virus doesn't need humans to replicate. There is therefore no evolutionary need for the virus to develop the ability to be transmitted through the air, given the high pathogenicity in humans and low reproduction number. This is not to say that it couldn't happen (there are mixed reports of Reston virus - another ebolavirus - being transmitted aerially, although this virus is not pathogenic to humans), but it is unlikely.
^
this guy is smart
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #22
Snadinator
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Western world doesn't need to panic here. Unless you come into contact with body fluids of an infected individual, you can sleep at night.
Snadinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #23
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

There are other more serious concerns on my list of things to keep me up at night that is certain, "economic ebolas" so to speak concern me far more. But I must say, I don't plan on socializing with a fresh load of passengers from Africa anytime soon.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #24
riteguytu
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
There are other more serious concerns on my list of things to keep me up at night that is certain, "economic ebolas" so to speak concern me far more. But I must say, I don't plan on socializing with a fresh load of passengers from Africa anytime soon.
That's a shame. Africa is quite a large place...30 million sq. kilometres. As big as the USA, China, Western Europe and India combined: http://www.economist.com/blogs/daily...11/cartography

Your statement reflects exactly the kind of attitude that let the virus get out of hand in the first place:
"It's their problem, let them handle it. After all its Africa. No skin off my nose..."
riteguytu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #25
biglebowski9999
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteguytu View Post
Your statement reflects exactly the kind of attitude that let the virus get out of hand in the first place:
"It's their problem, let them handle it. After all its Africa. No skin off my nose..."
What country has the biggest presence over there (bodies and $$$) to combat the problem? Your statement reflects exactly the kind of attitude we've come to expect from anyone outside North America: No matter what the US does, regardless of how much more it is than anyone else, it's never enough.
biglebowski9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:06 AM   #26
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteguytu View Post
That's a shame. Africa is quite a large place...30 million sq. kilometres. As big as the USA, China, Western Europe and India combined: http://www.economist.com/blogs/daily...11/cartography

Got it wrong. I did not say that. Again... I did NOT say that. Don't put that in quotes like I did.
Bomb them with aid, supplies, knowledge, education, simply we do not know the unknowns right now and aggressive quarantine is a logical step to take. What if it mutates? becomes easier to spread?
Again, we let someone in who exposed himself to Americans > That is bad juju man.
Screening people properly isn't figured out yet, that doesn't mean I am some anti-cultural person.
Right?
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #27
Luminous
Cyclops

Texas healthcare worker treating the ebola patient has now been diagnosed with the virus.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tex...col/ar-BB8RLM4
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #28
riteguytu
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglebowski9999 View Post
What country has the biggest presence over there (bodies and $$$) to combat the problem? Your statement reflects exactly the kind of attitude we've come to expect from anyone outside North America: No matter what the US does, regardless of how much more it is than anyone else, it's never enough.
This is not about North, South, East or West America or any other country

My objection was to the blanket statement about Africans that IMO reflected an attitude we should see less of...
riteguytu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #29
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Texas healthcare worker treating the ebola patient has now been diagnosed with the virus.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tex...col/ar-BB8RLM4
Apparently even if they wear a Hazmat suit, they can still become infected if they take it off incorrectly
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #30
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
Apparently even if they wear a Hazmat suit, they can still become infected if they take it off incorrectly
If that doesn't demonstrate how easily you can get the virus I don't know what will.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote