Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #351
risingstar
Jedi Order

Star Wars - Vader Down - Written by Jason Aaron and Keith Gillen and drawn by Mike Deodato and Sal Larocca. - 8.5/10.

This was thoroughly entertaining TBP. Very much recommended, which is perhaps unusual since Star Wars doesn't always read in comics format.
However, Darth was fabulous in this tale which takes place between New Hope and Empire.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:02 AM   #352
risingstar
Jedi Order

Captain Marvel volume 1 "Higher, further, faster, more" - reprints issues 1-6
- written by Kelly Sue DeConnick and penciled by David Lopez.
- A fun, light hearted and entertaining book, very much up Disney's alley. I can see the tone of this book doing well in film: 7.5/10

Captain Marvel volume 2 "Stay Fly" - reprints issues 7-11
- written by Kelly Sue DeConnick and pencilled by David Lopez and Marcio Takara.
- DeConnick's G-rated tone remains consistent throughout this trade. However, speaking for myself, the YTV-ish feel of this particular storyarc began to wear thin for me quite quickly. It's an okay read but nothing I'd want to revisit. 6/10

Captain Marvel volume 3 "Alis Volat Propriis" - reprints issues 12-15
- written by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Warren Ellis and pencilled by David Lopez.
- While the Carol Danvers character remains likeable, the writing seemed to take a nosedive in this latest trade. Not much happens here, and what actually does happen is neither interesting, entertaining, nor surprising. One never gets the sense that Danvers is ever in any real danger. Sadly, she's been Mary-Sued even more than Rey from The Force Awakens which makes for truly uninspiring and unimaginative reading. I wonder if DeConnick had little more than a few good books in her because this read like amateur night. It would be a shame to see yet another woman-hero book get cancelled because the writing was sub-par. At today's comic prices, fans deserve much better. 4/10
Old 08-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #353
risingstar
Jedi Order

The Mighty Thor volume 1 "Thunder in her veins" - reprints issues 1-5
- written by Jason Aaron and penciled by the very impressive art team of Russell Dauterman and Mathew Wilson.

- Quite simply, Jason Aaron was meant to write Thor, any Thor. It seems to come so easily to him. I get the sense he could write this book for another ten years. This collection features the Jane Foster Thor. A very good read, however, I highly recommend reading the issues which feature the origins of this new Thor first otherwise you may feel like you walked into a movie half way through (like I did!).

8.5/10
Old 08-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #354
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Baltimore vol. 3-4-5

The art perfectly fits the writing... It's a very good book. I just love it so much.

----Spoiler----

vol. 3 was about a mad scientist who experimented on vampires to cure them in a town... but he cured nothing, only turned the vampires which he experimented on in to more grotesque monsters...the whole town has leaved their houses and live in the houses which were made of boats on the shore. Well, Baltimore crush landed on the shore in a plane where he fought with a monster while he was crush landing. He killed the monster and then met with the town people who lived on the shore. And why not help them ? in the search for Haigus for revenge... so Baltimore Helped them, cleaned the whole town from monsters...meantime the mad scientist turned himself in to a monster to kill all the monstrocities which he created and helped Baltimore and died...

The Book really took oof with the vol. 4, where Baltimore finally took his revenge from Haigus... but it wasn't enough...the job was not done, the Red King and his evil minions which are all kinds of monsters still lurkes the earth and Baltimore realised as long as this evil goes on he can't rest...it's not over. As the book said God turned him in to this perfect weapon. A monster hunting massion against, The Evil Red King... and Baltimore summoned his friends in to a tavern where he fought against Haigus for the last time. These friends stuck with Baltimore as the story went on... Baltimore is not alone anymore. He hunts with his party...

Baltimore hunted the witch of harju in vol 4 because of all pleague and evil which came with the WW1 Harju town's women turned to old gods for help... but one of them started to prey something darker and evil...and this being gave her evil powers so she turned in to the witch of the town harju... she could change shape and resurect the dead... and she resurected one of the widow's husband... Baltimore tried to protect this widow... so him and his friends destoried the widow's undead husband and then killed the witch... then the widow joined to Baltimore too for the hunt cause she had nothing else left. And there's the evil inquisetor who was cursed and turned in to werewolf in vol. 3... we hear what he did to the rest of the inqusetion who started a hunt for him from the only survivor. This survivor inquisetor who was terribly wounded told the whole story to Baltimore and then joined to Baltimore for The hunt for former inqusetor evil werewolf...

---end of Spoiler---

puff... i can't stop talking about Baltimore i kept it as short as possible I highly recomend Baltimore, it's just so good. 10/10
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:21 PM   #355
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Wonder Woman: Odyssey vol. 1

---Spoiler---

This book is about a new incarnation of Wonder Woman who's homeland the Paradise Island was destoryed and her mother The Queen Hippolyta was killed by invedars (when Wonder Woman was a child) for some reason cause Amazon's lost Aphrodite's favor for some reason...And Wonder Woman has a new slick costume in this story. I was like i think this book will be medicore halfway through but some interesting things happend as the story goes on... this new incarnation of Wonder Woman kind of robbed a antique store. She went there with a piece which she totally stole from her people (!) and threatened antique store owner to buy it to the price that she wanted...then gave that money to some people in need... but did this justify her actions ? i don't think so cause the store owner has a family to feed too, i guess... and she totally stole the object which she sold from her people, her amazonian sisters... this was really interesting to see and then when amazons discovered The abondened Morrigan tample,(this Morrigan War Goddesses are the main villains of the story) they found some Wonder Woman action figures (which had different Wonder Woman costumes on them, the golden age, modern etc) at there... Were we breaking the 4th wall or what ? and there was someone mysterious in a robe who took one of those action figures and put it in his/her robe's pocket...who was he/she ? This is another interesting part of the story that made me look forward to the 2nd volume (which i just ordered) 7/10 is my score for this volume.

The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:03 PM   #356
risingstar
Jedi Order

Star Wars - Showdown on the smuggler's moon - Written by Jason Aaron and drawn by Simone Bianchi and Stuart Immonen. - 8.5/10.

Another entertaining read. This tale also takes place beween New Home and Empire, and it fits in quite well. Jason Aaron is doing a fabulous job on Star Wars.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:11 PM   #357
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Black Widow # 1 - 6 The Explosive first arc by Mark Waid, Chris Samnee, Matthew Wilson & Joe Caramagna.....the very same team of the last aclaimed run of DD....Nuff Said!

Not a TP/HC yet, I just re-read them together.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #358
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECLOWN KNIGHT View Post
Black Widow # 1 - 6 The Explosive first arc by Mark Waid, Chris Samnee, Matthew Wilson & Joe Caramagna.....the very same team of the last aclaimed run of DD....Nuff Said!

Not a TP/HC yet, I just re-read them together.
Coming out October 25th:

http://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/bl...wanted-tp.html
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:45 PM   #359
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
I just reread the identity crisis after 9 years or something... and i hated it... i don't know what the heck kind of emo mindset i was in back when i liked it as a kid... but i hated it this time around.

This book just sucked the life and joy out of me while i was reading it...and after i finished it, i was lifeless, joyless and felt terrible the whole day. I like dark but that's halloween dark... the fun stuff... but this comic book is just not that dark but a drag. Did they try to make a more realistic story ? may be this was the goal... ? as far as realistic goes, all the realist writers put great amount of humor in their books cause life has humor in it and they don't want you to feel terrible when you read their book... but this book had no humor... it was straight out joyless, humorless, lifeless.. a piece of crap which makes you feel terrible. :/ i will never ever reread this book again... and i don't recomend it at all.
Agreed. I won't even watch Brad Metzer shows on history channel because of this comic. He just royaly pissed me off w/ his take on the DC heroes.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:26 PM   #360
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
That is a nice summary, I was going to post something like this:

"She cannot escape from her past......but you can be damn sure that she will kick its @ss!"

Mmm, that was a little Honest Trailer style.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote