Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 07-07-2016, 07:28 PM   #21
Parallax
Nightwing

There are two titles I've enjoyed from Marvel since the relaunch, Invincible Iron Man and Black Widow. Black Widow is in my opinion the best book they've had out since Waid and Samnee's Daredevil, which says a lot about Waid and Samnee. Marvel is doing what DC did a year ago. DC realized they weren't hitting the audience and they fixed that. Marvel needs to do the same thing. 100% of my marvel reading is re-reading what I already own or buying older graphic novels. A lot of 80s Marvel in my sights right now. Silver Surfer, X-Men, and Spider-Man.
Parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:14 PM   #22
moviemonster
Justice League

To me Marvel has lost all my interest. Thor is a girl, The Totally Awesome Hulk has a Mohawk and a title name that sounds like it's for an audience of 12 and under. Iron Man is now mentoring a young 15 year old girl with a huge afro to be the new Iron Man (Woman, Girl). I didn't mind the big event books until I started noticing I didn't know who a majority of the characters were. I swear, if they turn Thanos into a woman or a teenager I'll give up completely.
moviemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:56 PM   #23
Parallax
Nightwing

I've completely stopped with Marvel. I can't justify spending $3.99 on books that are inferior to the $2.99 books I'm buying. Marvel is charging $5 or $6 for #1 issues now, which is crazy. I'm currently buying every DC Rebirth title and I still haven't spent over $20 in a single week. When I was buying Marvel and DC titles, I was easily spending $25 a week. DC dropping to $2.99 put a lot into perspective for me. The only books that can get $3.99 from me are TMNT and Valiant, because the quality of those books is consistently great.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:17 AM   #24
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmutha View Post
I was only using that as an example of general public reaction these days...I can read...I see that you did not call him a racist. That said, he gave his reason...he has a hard time relating to teenage girl characters because he is not one, and therefore does not enjoy stories that focus on those characters. I personally do not think this preference automatically means he hates women or is against minority characters.
Thanks, that is all I was really trying to say.

I love women. I married one. But dammit, I still don't understand her half the time! I don't know the problems of being a female. Therefore all my choices of reading material and movies and video games revolve around a male protagonist because I enjoy those more. I relate to movies with male leads more than others. So those are the ones I watch... while my wife makes me a sandwich! LOL *wink*

I don't care for this whole argument tactic though that I seem to receive. You did not label me as racists Paris but it was strongly insinuated. And I've gotten that elsewhere too. I don't want the original characters to change. I just don't. There is nothing wrong with that. It's just frustrating because a) PC police find that offensive for whatever reason. and b) just make NEW characters. Not hard.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #25
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
Thanks, that is all I was really trying to say.

I love women. I married one. But dammit, I still don't understand her half the time! I don't know the problems of being a female. Therefore all my choices of reading material and movies and video games revolve around a male protagonist because I enjoy those more. I relate to movies with male leads more than others. So those are the ones I watch... while my wife makes me a sandwich! LOL *wink*

I don't care for this whole argument tactic though that I seem to receive. You did not label me as racists Paris but it was strongly insinuated. And I've gotten that elsewhere too. I don't want the original characters to change. I just don't. There is nothing wrong with that. It's just frustrating because a) PC police find that offensive for whatever reason. and b) just make NEW characters. Not hard.
I didn't insinuate you were racist. Thinking I did is a knee-jerk reaction on your part. I said it's possible for others to enjoy books even though they don't share the main characters' traits of age/gender/race and it's unfortunate you can't do the same.

And Riri Williams IS a new character. She isn't Tony Stark. Not hard.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #26
Parallax
Nightwing

Superman is one of the most relatable characters of all time and he's an alien.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #27
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallax View Post
Superman is one of the most relatable characters of all time and he's an alien.
Not sure I agree with that. Spider-Man is probably the most relatable. That's why Marvel did so well when they first started coming out with comics. Their heroes were more man on the street people with personal issues and dealing with super powers. I think more people relate to the nerdiness of Peter Parker and Spidey than with Clark Kent and Superman.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #28
Parallax
Nightwing

I didn't say he was THE most relatable, I said he was one of the most relatable. He's an outsider trying to fit in. Every comic reader can relate to Spider-Man. It's every nerds dream come true.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #29
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Not sure I agree with that. Spider-Man is probably the most relatable. That's why Marvel did so well when they first started coming out with comics. Their heroes were more man on the street people with personal issues and dealing with super powers. I think more people relate to the nerdiness of Peter Parker and Spidey than with Clark Kent and Superman.
Ironically in 2016 I imagine more folks can relate to balancing responsibility with being a father and family man Superman than they can separated from a super-model industrialist Peter Parker
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:47 PM   #30
Parallax
Nightwing

I'm not an Air Force Pilot Space Cop nor am I a lawyer vigilante, but I relate most to Hal Jordan and Daredevil. They both like to think they always know what to do, they're both problem solvers, and they're both able to stay calm, collected, and positive under pressure. They also both mess up a lot in their personal lives.