Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 01-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
Lizard King
Death is hereditary.

X Box 360 Intercooler Question

I just purchased my first X Box 360 and love it. My one concern is that the back of the machine seems to get pretty warm when I play for an extended period of time. I considered getting the intercooler for it , but was told that they were getting recalled due to some overheating issues. My question is; Has anyone heard about this problem? Do I even need an intercooler? The area I have my 360 in is well ventilated, so should I be concerned about the heat? Thanks for any help!
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

I don't have any experience with the Intercooler but I would say avoid it. I think it's just another way to part you from your money, a piece of junk. I have seen photos someone posted on another board where they showed how their intercooler almost caused a fire so yes, the problem you mentioned is real. I think you should be fine if you just make sure your 360 is well ventilated.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1 View Post
I don't have any experience with the Intercooler but I would say avoid it. I think it's just another way to part you from your money, a piece of junk. I have seen photos someone posted on another board where they showed how their intercooler almost caused a fire so yes, the problem you mentioned is real.
Quote:
I think you should be fine if you just make sure your 360 is well ventilated.
And you can also get a cheap external fan if you are still worried check at a PC shop/radio shack.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:33 AM   #4
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard King View Post
I just purchased my first X Box 360 and love it. My one concern is that the back of the machine seems to get pretty warm when I play for an extended period of time. I considered getting the intercooler for it , but was told that they were getting recalled due to some overheating issues. My question is; Has anyone heard about this problem? Do I even need an intercooler? The area I have my 360 in is well ventilated, so should I be concerned about the heat? Thanks for any help!
It`s normal for the 360 to get quite warm at the back (escpecially as you say after long gaming sessions), and besides if it`s not causing any problems why worry?
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
Lizard King
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin View Post
And you can also get a cheap external fan if you are still worried check at a PC shop/radio shack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1 View Post
I don't have any experience with the Intercooler but I would say avoid it. I think it's just another way to part you from your money, a piece of junk. I have seen photos someone posted on another board where they showed how their intercooler almost caused a fire so yes, the problem you mentioned is real. I think you should be fine if you just make sure your 360 is well ventilated.
Thanks for the quick reply! You've both been a great help. I'll pass on the Intercooler and just sit back and enjoy the experience! Thanks again!
Old 01-04-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
Lizard King
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
It`s normal for the 360 to get quite warm at the back (escpecially as you say after long gaming sessions), and besides if it`s not causing any problems why worry?
I agree. My concern came from the Instruction manual when it said; "to prolong the life of your X Box..." I just didn't want to get 3 months down the road and have my console in for repairs. I figured it for a marketing ploy to earn a little extra revenue for Microsoft. Thanks El D!
Old 01-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #7
Archangel
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
I agree. My concern came from the Instruction manual when it said; "to prolong the life of your X Box..." I just didn't want to get 3 months down the road and have my console in for repairs. I figured it for a marketing ploy to earn a little extra revenue for Microsoft. Thanks El D!
My wife got me a four year extended warranty so I'm not as concerned by the heat. Just wait until summer, that's when the machines get really hot.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #8
Lizard King
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
My wife got me a four year extended warranty so I'm not as concerned by the heat. Just wait until summer, that's when the machines get really hot.
Where can you get the extended warranty? Directly from Microsoft?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:36 PM   #9
Archangel
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Where can you get the extended warranty? Directly from Microsoft?
It was through Best Buy.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:39 PM   #10
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
It was through Best Buy.
I'm curious. How much was the extended warranty?
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote