Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

View Poll Results: What is the state of our Hobby?
The glory days are over! This plane's gonna crash. 16 16.67%
The best is yet to come! We've got a long way to go. 53 55.21%
We may be in a rut right now but this hobby will rebound. 27 28.13%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2006, 11:25 PM   #1
Doc Sonic
Statue Forum MacDaddy

The State of our Hobby.

Every now and then you'll see a post talking about how someone is getting out of the hobby. Or, how the hobby has lost it's appeal.
A lot of this seem to be due to too much product on the market and the expense of keeping up with all the cool stuff coming out. But, many factors can lead to someone throwing in the towel.

In the same respect, there are people exicited about each and every release, hungry for the next cool piece.

When you consider all the factors affecting statue collection today, where do you see our hobby heading? Did we reach the pinnacle of the hobby and the glory days are over? Or, is the best collecting still yet to be done?
Doc Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:31 PM   #2
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

I think the best is yet to come. I also think that collectors are coming smarter buyers. The whole "completism" is becoming something from the past. That's how it should be. You should collect what you like, not just because someone sculpted it or it came from a specific manufacturer.
I also think many collectors are upgrading their collection for newer statues.
d rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:54 PM   #3
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by d rod
I think the best is yet to come. I also think that collectors are coming smarter buyers. The whole "completism" is becoming something from the past. That's how it should be. You should collect what you like, not just because someone sculpted it or it came from a specific manufacturer.
I think you hit the nail on the head, D. I am much happier as a collector being selective about what I buy.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:58 PM   #4
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER
I think you hit the nail on the head, D. I am much happier as a collector being selective about what I buy.
Now that you only buy the 4 cases of each type of Imperial Trooper instead of 5, you seem like a much happier person
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:08 AM   #5
moon_knight1971
Rescue

D said it all!
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:12 AM   #6
kaza5555
New Republic

Been collecting for fifteen years now and the new players only made me more selective with my choices now. I'm always blown away with new products everyday. Best is definitely yet to come.
kaza5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:16 AM   #7
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus
Now that you only buy the 4 cases of each type of Imperial Trooper instead of 5, you seem like a much happier person
Exactly!
Old 06-02-2006, 12:37 AM   #8
sith lord utinni!
U talkin' to me?

Best to come! Alot of great product and new companies out there today. I'm so glad there is finally alot of high end stuff to choose from, especially since I'm a huge star wars collector and always before it was hasblow or nothin.
sith lord utinni! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:43 AM   #9
Mastermold
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d rod
I think this board helps that process. People get to readily see what's available and make better informed choices about what to buy.
Mastermold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:57 AM   #10
ComputerFly
The Phantom

I think things are really taking off in statue collecting. My personal opinion is that a lot of this movement was driven by the movie '40 yr old Virgin', LOL, j/k. Since StatueForums.com doesn't really have a new user 'welcome center', I went over to SideShowcollectors.com, and noticed that since I first signed on to that site around mid-February, that at least 50 new members have signed on since. And that only includes the people that actually took the time to post and say they were new to the site. I think the hobby is really growing, especially with all the latest VERY HIGH QUALITY merchandise that's coming out now.
ComputerFly is offline   Reply With Quote