Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 09-04-2006, 12:33 AM   #1
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin died in a freak accident

I believe the site is credible. It was apparently a freak accident too and it had nothing to do with any kinda stunt he was doing.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html
thecallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:07 AM   #2
BobbyW
The Beast

Still, he was killed doing what he loved best. The world will miss him!
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:15 AM   #3
Tony Coca
Teflon Don

For the Lazy.

Reports: 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin killed

12:13 AM CDT on Monday, September 4, 2006

Associated Press

BRISBANE, Australia - Steve Irwin, the Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, Australian media said. He was 44.

Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when the accident occurred, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.

The Australian Broadcasting Corp. said Irwin was diving near Low Isles near the resort town of Port Douglas, about 1,260 miles north of Brisbane.

A helicopter carrying paramedics flew to the island, but he died from a stingray barb to the heart, ABC reported on its Web site.

Telephone calls to Australia Zoo, Irwin's zoo in southern Queensland, were not immediately answered.

Irwin is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter," which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel.

He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.

Irwin had received some negative publicity in recent years. In January 2004, he stunned onlookers at his Australia Zoo reptile park by carrying his 1-year-old son into a crocodile pen during a wildlife show. He tucked the infant under one arm while tossing the 13-foot reptile a piece of meat with the other.

Authorities declined to charge Irwin for violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken against him.
Tony Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:16 AM   #4
Boerboel
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Steve Irwin "Crocodile hunter" died

Man...this really bums me out! I totally enjoyed watching his shows, he had a great love of animals and he did a lot for conservation. At least he went out doing what he loved. He will be missed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060904/...ralia_irwin_dc

"Irwin was also seen as a vocal critic of wildlife hunts in Australia. The federal government recently dropped plans to allow crocodile safaris for wealthy tourists in the Northern Territory following his vehement objections.

Irwin told the Australian television program "A Current Affair" that "killing one of our beautiful animals in the name of trophy hunting will have a very negative impact on tourism, which scares the living daylights out of me."

He is survived by his American wife Terri, from Oregon, and their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December."
Boerboel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:20 AM   #5
Kirk Durfey
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

That just totally depresses me. I always enjoyed watching that show. He will be missed...
Kirk Durfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:24 AM   #6
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Sad news to be sure, but he died doing something he loved, and that at the same time carried with it a certain amount of risk.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:28 AM   #7
Boerboel
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

I guess I always thought that, if anything, a croc would get him. I guess it was just his time to go, I mean a stingray barb to the heart? What are the odds of that? The guy always seemed invincible!
Boerboel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:37 AM   #8
DDura711
Kindly Asked To Leave

Crieky! Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin killed!

Steve Irwin, the Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, Australian media said. He was 44.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060904/ap_en_tv/obit_irwin
DDura711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:37 AM   #9
Daywalker
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

i just read this - was about to post it too - i guess he shoulda stopped picking up dangersous animals
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:03 AM   #10
BOWEN NUT
Hydra

Crikey!
BOWEN NUT is offline   Reply With Quote