Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 04-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

XM Studios – CABLE STATUE – StatueForum Review

XM Studios proudly presents its fifth ¼ scale premium quality collectible statue of 2017, the alpha-mutant, techno-organic, Cable. Sculpted in a defiant, battle-savvy design which compliments the vanquished-Sentinel theme featured in earlier XM Studios releases (i.e., Magneto, Phoenix, and Wolverine), XM tenders its long-awaited interpretation of Marvel’s master combatant, Cable.

Nathan Christopher Charles Summers, the mutant offspring of Scott Summers and Jean Grey clone, Madelyne Pryor, was first introduced to the Marvel Universe as an infant in Uncanny X-Men #201 published in January 1986. However, the character laid dormant for several years until he later resurfaced as the time paradoxical revolutionary known as Cable in New Mutants #87 published by Marvel Comics in March 1990. Cable was created by writer, Louise Simonson and comics artist, Rob Liefeld.

Cable is a vastly powerful telekinetic and telepath. It has also been hinted that he possesses psionic power which enables him to travel through time as well as the ability to travel in an astral form. His body is largely composed of cybernetic and bionics which essentially makes him the most powerful cyborg and one of the most dangerous mutants in the Marvel Universe.

So… anyone like really BIG GUNS??

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

Display option #1

Old 04-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

Display option #2

Old 04-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

Display option #3

Old 04-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

Display option #4

Old 04-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

The incredible detail

Old 04-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
risingstar
Jedi Order

The base - manual and print

Old 04-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #8
risingstar
Jedi Order

The extraordinary creative team behind the Cable statue are Alejandro Pereira Ezcurra (sculpt), Foo Tze Wei (concept artwork and print), and the XM Studios Design & Development team. The Cable statue stands an impressive 22 inches high and is approximately 16 inches wide and 19 inches deep, and weighs approximately 33 pounds. It was limited to only 999 pieces worldwide at a retail price of $990 SGD (approximately $700us). The Cable statue was an XM Studios Exclusive release, largely available for order at select comic conventions in Asia only. XM Studios began shipping out first batches of this statue in early April, 2017.

As many of you know, Marvel (i.e., owner, Disney) has limited the production of collectibles featuring characters from the X-Men and Fantastic Four brands whose movie rights are presently held by the competition (e.g., Universal Studios). This has understandably led to some disappointment from fans who have grown up loving these characters. Thankfully, after years of sitting in Marvel purgatory, Alejandro’s stunning sculpture can finally grace the display shelves of Cable fans around the world.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #9
risingstar
Jedi Order

Sculpture: This is an extraordinary sculpture. It epitomizes Cable’s techno-organic origins and typifies the daunting and chilling vision of his future. He presents as a man possessed and as a man consumed by his never-ending battle against mutant tyranny. His cybernetic extensions were built for extensive combat and overwhelming odds. As a mutant revolutionary from the mid-21st century, XM Studios painstakingly endeavored to feature an arsenal of futuristic-looking high-tech gadgetry which Cable uses with adept precision.

On what appears to be the annihilated remains of a Sentinel (i.e., mutant hunting robots created by Trask Industries), a grim and brooding Cable stands poised and ready for war. His highly detailed cybernetic left arm which comes in two distinct displayable options (i.e, one pointing, and the other resting upon his shoulder), each of which wields a massive blaster powerful enough to take down Trask’s robotic messengers of Mutant doom. His right flesh-toned arm also features two distinct displayable options (i.e., one raised and one resting) each of which brandishes an MP5K machine-gun derivative. As impressive looking is Cable’s cybernetic eye, which permits him to see deep into electromagnetic spectrums as well as ascertain the deployment of psionic energies. I love the way his cybernetic eye looks intimidating, frightening, and reassuring all at the same time. The furrowed brow, the snarling grimace, the gray streaked coif, and facial scarring only add to the authenticity of the design. This is the personification of Cable. This is his Cable’s story, and XM Studios tells it very well.

The detail on Cable’s uniform is nothing short of staggering. XM Studios clearly went the extra mile in thematic scheme as his combat boots, belt and leg straps, military pouches, knee pads, trench knife, intricacy in cybernetic design, shoulder straps and attached weaponry, the shredded shirt, the X-insignias, and blasted Sentinal scraps with protruding livewires all look incredibly intricate and fine-tuned. As a nice extra touch, part of the Sentinal’s conquered remains feature three distinct cuts and abrasions, clearly the result of a battle with Wolverine and his adamantium claws. I must add, the creases and folds on Cable's pants and various utility belt packs look incredible. This is simply a marvelous sculpture.

The statue comes in 11 pieces: The Cable body, four arm pieces, a wing, knife handle, bullet pack, base, an assembly booklet, and the print.

Rating: 10/10
-------------------------------------------------------

Paint/Mixed media: Blue and silver, and flesh tones are the main colors featured on this piece. The paint applications look really smooth with confident strokes, to the point where parts of it actually look real and other parts of it look like actual metal. Clearly, this was XM’s objective, and they succeeded in this endeavour.

There was virtually no painting over lines, smudges, or off-centered eyes, or other paint imperfections we sometimes see on sculpts, which is another positive. The paints on the base feature some remarkable shading too which allows you to appreciate the mix of metal and concrete. There is some use of fabric on Cable’s pouch and pack straps which adds delightful authenticity to the sculpture. XM also inserted real cable wires into the design as well, and from what I am told, the bullets are made of real metal! The turbine-engine base also shows deliberate signs of weathering which further pronounces the battle-themed design.

Fantastic job overall.

Rating 10/10

Production and Build quality: This is a solid piece of craftsmanship. It has a fabulous size, shape, and weight to it. I really appreciate the straightforwardness of the production. It’s quite easy to tell where everything goes too. The magnets worked perfectly. There’s no tilting or imbalance to the statue or cause to be concerned about long term leaning issues. Everything fit. Again, very nice job overall. Like the Ghost Rider and Punisher statues, the Cable comes with an easy to follow assembly booklet which identifies what goes where and how.

Rating 10/10

Design: Excellent. This is a spectacular interpretation of Cable, in every way. I'm trying to find something off with this one but I can't. The detail on this sculpture is nothing short of phenomenal. The four display options all look fabulous. Right now, I'm unable to tell which one I prefer most. For now, I'm going with Option #1.

Cable fans are going to be absolutely thrilled with this one.

Rating: 10/10

Overall rating: 10/10 (A+)

P.S. Lastly, please do not forget to register your statue’s serial number on the XM website. Join the fight against recasters who continue to plague our industry in growing numbers.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #10
risingstar
Jedi Order