Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

More Images posted.
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=38348
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #42
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
I hope they don't just start making up a whole bunch of new characters, and never have any of the long standing Marvel characters in this show.
I have a feeling it will mostly be new rather than established characters. The reason I say this is because I recently read an article about the status of more short films being made. The person giving the interview (can't recall if it was Feige or someone else) said that it's kind of tricky using established characters in the shorts because it sort of locks them in a bit. They might use someone who is fine for the short but it may not work for the big screen if they choose to transition them. Either due to actor issues or story related issues. Anyway that was the gist of that, so I'm sure if they feel that way about the shorts they must feel the same when it comes to the tv show. All of this is not to say they won't use established characters at all, but I don't see it as being a who's who of the Marvel Universe. And when they do show someone you can probably expect it to be a "C" level character. I'm sure they'll be saving the better characters for the big screen.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #43
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Thanks for posting this link, HB. It was a fun vid to watch, at least for me. I'm excited about this series!
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #44
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

No problem. I enjoyed it and figured others might as well.

Hoping this turns out to be a quality series myself and not just a cross between your run of the mill cliched cop drama and something along the line of 'Heroes.'
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #45
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
No problem. I enjoyed it and figured others might as well.

Hoping this turns out to be a quality series myself and not just a cross between your run of the mill cliched cop drama and something along the line of 'Heroes.'
I'm hoping Joss Whedon's involvement will elevate this series to a high level of quality. I'm also intrigued by the cast, and the sound of some of the regular "human" characters. I'm also a big fan of Ming-Na Wen. One of the most beautiful actresses on the planet. Oh, yeah...and a fine actress too, IMO.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #46
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #47
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I'm surpised to see Smulders in the photos. I guess she's must in the pilot (maybe as acting director of SHIELD). She still has a full time job with How I Met Your Mother. At least I assume so. I never watched the show, so I think she's on it.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #48
siren3-4
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment...tcas-1.5829514

ABC road-tests 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' to critics at TCAs

BEVERLY HILLS -- The network leg of the biannual TV critics press tour wrapped a couple of hours ago, and in true showmanship fashion, ABC did manage to save the best for last -- and really, the best of the entire tour: "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."

With a bit of cloak and dagger swagger, the network shipped the pilot of the series to the Beverly Hilton -- if not via armored car, then close enough -- and insisted that writers in attendance for the 1 p.m. screening not record any portion of what they were about to see with their cellphones, lest they be vaporized, or otherwise meet an ending that would be far too gruesome to explain to their spouses or employers.

The demand normally would have been amusing (except the network was serious) and then (fade to darkness) the show began....

Without giving too much away, and really, I'd need an hour of your time to give much of anything away, let's cut straight to the appraisal: It is terrific. And it will be a hit. And it was everything any comic fan ... any lover of the Avengers ... any true-blue superhero-worshipping-shut-in will love instantly. The only outstanding question is whether everyone else will, or whether this will be able to balance the interests of hardcore fanboys and girls (who will like it very much) with an audience that may not be as fully plugged into the Marvel mythology, or is as interested in it as they. ("The Avengers" was one of the most successful films in cinematic history, so that question may already be answered, but the demands of a weekly TV serial and a major motion picture are as different as apples from grapes.)

Plus -- spoiler-alert -- Agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg) is back. He really didn't die. Surprised? Hey, this is a comic book universe where death isn't forever, and sometimes not even "death."

The pilot is a thing of TV beauty, but it is also complex and allusive -- alluding to things that I'm not even entirely sure what is being alluded to. (It would be a very good idea to watch "The Avengers," of which this is a continuation, before plunging in, just to get your alluding list in order.)

Honestly, this series is something to get excited about for a whole host of reasons, notwithstanding the beauty of what is on-screen; ABC has tipped the bank into this project, and it shows.

So yes, "Agents" will be a hit, and if it is not a "hit" then network TV is irremediably broken.

But enough of this. Let's go to the panel. ABC assembled a murderer's row of producers -- as well as Gregg -- for Sunday afternoon's panel, and they explained in detail their aspirations for this new creation.

They include Joss Whedon, his brother and collaborator Jed Whedon, Jed's wife Maurissa Tancharoen ("Dollhouse") and Jeffrey Bell of "Angel." But for comic book fans, of greatest interest is perhaps "Jeph" Loeb, a certified comic book genius who has been a major part of the Marvel universe and the TV one, too ("Heroes," "Lost," "Smallville" -- not Marvel series; in fact, "Agents" is Marvel's first show for the small screen.)

Let's go to the transcript, and as I close out this tour, a personal thanks to the hard-working people on the board of TV Critics Association who make this tour possible and the transcribers who produce the volumes of words that I cut and paste, thereby making my job easier; they are MY Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.:

How big can this get on a TV scale?
Bell: It looks bigger than you think. We spent on it because it was directed and put together by people who are really good at doing that. We have a terrific writing staff who are writing stories, working with a production team who is telling us what we can and cannot do. And also, both Marvel and ABC have been very generous with us.

How much did ABC poke its nose into broadening this thing?
Joss Whedon: Their biggest note after we presented the thing was they wanted to make sure that our investment in the characters and their interaction and their evolution was as big as the case of the week. They wanted to make sure that people were coming for the recurring story, as well as for the story that would conclude in a single episode, which, to me, is how I’ve done all of my shows. So they basically said, “Would you please do it that way that you do it and not learn a new skill.” And that made me very happy....What’s great about S.H.I.E.L.D. is we have this organization. We have the history from the comic book. But these guys are out there by themselves. And a lot of the time that’s going to, it’s going to be both an advantage and real trouble for them. And so we can bond with them in a way that they don’t have every resource, and they don’t have the answers, just sort of a deus ex machina at the end of every episode, “Here comes S.H.I.E.L.D. to solve it.”

Hey Clark, did you die on "The Avengers?
Gregg: My next to last day on “The Avengers” involved this certain Asgardian fellow impaling me quite convincingly. And while I was surprised how emotional it was to me to give up the character and the long-term job, I made jokes like, “Is there a rewrite going to be coming from the governor at any point? Do you want to shoot one where he grazes me a little bit?” And there was a few kind of, like, pathetic, like, “Oh, sad. No.” And it was really clear that I was dead, you know. And that, you know, that I’d had a great run, and I thought what Joss did with the character was such a magnificent kind of resolve of it. And I loved what happened in “The Avengers.” And somebody sent me a tweet saying that they heard that Coulson’s funeral was going to be in “Thor 2.” (Laughter.) I thought it was cool... like, “Hey, it’s a comic book universe. How dead can you be?” But then I heard that, and I thought, “I’m pretty sure the Asgardians do that thing where they burn a guy on top of the thing, you know.” I didn’t think I was going to be coming back from that. A couple weeks later, and this is probably four or five months after “The Avengers,” I got a call from Joss, and we talked about how much we wanted to have whatever reason Coulson had for still being alive and walking around not be anything that undermines the reality of “The Avengers.” And when he explained to me a little bit more than what you saw in the pilot about the stuff that Coulson doesn’t know, I hung up the phone, very deeply on board.

Because this is the first TV show based on a Marvel comic book, how will it appeal to fans and the general audience alike?
Loeb: We wanted to do something that would appeal to our fan base, you know, which is legion but, by the same token, we wanted something which I think [is] not a movie for one particular group of people. ["The Avengers"] is a movie for everybody. And “Iron Man 3″ has the same kind of feeling to it. So, you know, whether or not it’s an ABC audience or a Marvel audience or a little bit of this and a little bit of that, our hope is that everyone who is watching television at 8 o'clock on Tuesday nights is watching our show."
siren3-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #49
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by siren3-4 View Post
http://www.newsday.com/entertainment...tcas-1.5829514

ABC road-tests 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' to critics at TCAs

BEVERLY HILLS -- The network leg of the biannual TV critics press tour wrapped a couple of hours ago, and in true showmanship fashion, ABC did manage to save the best for last -- and really, the best of the entire tour: "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."

With a bit of cloak and dagger swagger, the network shipped the pilot of the series to the Beverly Hilton -- if not via armored car, then close enough -- and insisted that writers in attendance for the 1 p.m. screening not record any portion of what they were about to see with their cellphones, lest they be vaporized, or otherwise meet an ending that would be far too gruesome to explain to their spouses or employers.

The demand normally would have been amusing (except the network was serious) and then (fade to darkness) the show began....

Without giving too much away, and really, I'd need an hour of your time to give much of anything away, let's cut straight to the appraisal: It is terrific. And it will be a hit. And it was everything any comic fan ... any lover of the Avengers ... any true-blue superhero-worshipping-shut-in will love instantly. The only outstanding question is whether everyone else will, or whether this will be able to balance the interests of hardcore fanboys and girls (who will like it very much) with an audience that may not be as fully plugged into the Marvel mythology, or is as interested in it as they. ("The Avengers" was one of the most successful films in cinematic history, so that question may already be answered, but the demands of a weekly TV serial and a major motion picture are as different as apples from grapes.)

Plus -- spoiler-alert -- Agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg) is back. He really didn't die. Surprised? Hey, this is a comic book universe where death isn't forever, and sometimes not even "death."

The pilot is a thing of TV beauty, but it is also complex and allusive -- alluding to things that I'm not even entirely sure what is being alluded to. (It would be a very good idea to watch "The Avengers," of which this is a continuation, before plunging in, just to get your alluding list in order.)

Honestly, this series is something to get excited about for a whole host of reasons, notwithstanding the beauty of what is on-screen; ABC has tipped the bank into this project, and it shows.

So yes, "Agents" will be a hit, and if it is not a "hit" then network TV is irremediably broken.

But enough of this. Let's go to the panel. ABC assembled a murderer's row of producers -- as well as Gregg -- for Sunday afternoon's panel, and they explained in detail their aspirations for this new creation.

They include Joss Whedon, his brother and collaborator Jed Whedon, Jed's wife Maurissa Tancharoen ("Dollhouse") and Jeffrey Bell of "Angel." But for comic book fans, of greatest interest is perhaps "Jeph" Loeb, a certified comic book genius who has been a major part of the Marvel universe and the TV one, too ("Heroes," "Lost," "Smallville" -- not Marvel series; in fact, "Agents" is Marvel's first show for the small screen.)

Let's go to the transcript, and as I close out this tour, a personal thanks to the hard-working people on the board of TV Critics Association who make this tour possible and the transcribers who produce the volumes of words that I cut and paste, thereby making my job easier; they are MY Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.:

How big can this get on a TV scale?
Bell: It looks bigger than you think. We spent on it because it was directed and put together by people who are really good at doing that. We have a terrific writing staff who are writing stories, working with a production team who is telling us what we can and cannot do. And also, both Marvel and ABC have been very generous with us.

How much did ABC poke its nose into broadening this thing?
Joss Whedon: Their biggest note after we presented the thing was they wanted to make sure that our investment in the characters and their interaction and their evolution was as big as the case of the week. They wanted to make sure that people were coming for the recurring story, as well as for the story that would conclude in a single episode, which, to me, is how I’ve done all of my shows. So they basically said, “Would you please do it that way that you do it and not learn a new skill.” And that made me very happy....What’s great about S.H.I.E.L.D. is we have this organization. We have the history from the comic book. But these guys are out there by themselves. And a lot of the time that’s going to, it’s going to be both an advantage and real trouble for them. And so we can bond with them in a way that they don’t have every resource, and they don’t have the answers, just sort of a deus ex machina at the end of every episode, “Here comes S.H.I.E.L.D. to solve it.”

Hey Clark, did you die on "The Avengers?
Gregg: My next to last day on “The Avengers” involved this certain Asgardian fellow impaling me quite convincingly. And while I was surprised how emotional it was to me to give up the character and the long-term job, I made jokes like, “Is there a rewrite going to be coming from the governor at any point? Do you want to shoot one where he grazes me a little bit?” And there was a few kind of, like, pathetic, like, “Oh, sad. No.” And it was really clear that I was dead, you know. And that, you know, that I’d had a great run, and I thought what Joss did with the character was such a magnificent kind of resolve of it. And I loved what happened in “The Avengers.” And somebody sent me a tweet saying that they heard that Coulson’s funeral was going to be in “Thor 2.” (Laughter.) I thought it was cool... like, “Hey, it’s a comic book universe. How dead can you be?” But then I heard that, and I thought, “I’m pretty sure the Asgardians do that thing where they burn a guy on top of the thing, you know.” I didn’t think I was going to be coming back from that. A couple weeks later, and this is probably four or five months after “The Avengers,” I got a call from Joss, and we talked about how much we wanted to have whatever reason Coulson had for still being alive and walking around not be anything that undermines the reality of “The Avengers.” And when he explained to me a little bit more than what you saw in the pilot about the stuff that Coulson doesn’t know, I hung up the phone, very deeply on board.

Because this is the first TV show based on a Marvel comic book, how will it appeal to fans and the general audience alike?
Loeb: We wanted to do something that would appeal to our fan base, you know, which is legion but, by the same token, we wanted something which I think [is] not a movie for one particular group of people. ["The Avengers"] is a movie for everybody. And “Iron Man 3″ has the same kind of feeling to it. So, you know, whether or not it’s an ABC audience or a Marvel audience or a little bit of this and a little bit of that, our hope is that everyone who is watching television at 8 o'clock on Tuesday nights is watching our show."

I am very excited for this series!!! Hoping it's my new favorite.

I am confused at why they would say this is the first TV show based on a Marvel Comic property though. We had two in the 70's that I watched every week:

1. The Incredible Hulk.

2. The Amazing Spider Man.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #50
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
I am very excited for this series!!! Hoping it's my new favorite.

I am confused at why they would say this is the first TV show based on a Marvel Comic property though. We had two in the 70's that I watched every week:

1. The Incredible Hulk.

2. The Amazing Spider Man.
Probably the first in which Marvel retained creative control.

A good pilot doesn't make it a hit. The show will need strong and consistent writting. I loved Heroes when it first came out, but after the writers strike, it went South quickly. Too many good shows lose momentum after a good start. Both AMC's Breaking Bad and Walking Dead have consitently good writing (and of course excellent acting). Let's hope Agents of SHEILD stays strong from the begining. This show and ONCE are the only two things that ABC has that interests me.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote