Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #501
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Thirdly, with the success of WW I'm worried some of it's weaknesses will carry over to JL. Namely a weak antagonist, an over reliance on CGI and a rather shallow and by the numbers narrative.
Well, this happens in many big-budget action movies these days. Whatever happened to antagonists who're complex and whose motivations were understandable (but whose actions were not necessarily acceptable)?
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #502
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Well, this happens in many big-budget action movies these days. Whatever happened to antagonists who're complex and whose motivations were understandable (but whose actions were not necessarily acceptable)?
General Zod - Man of Steel
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #503
statman
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Yes, the General's portrayal was well done IMO. Trying to save his people and their ways by any means. Noble, if not for the way he wanted to do it.

It was Superjerk and his supporting cast's portrayals that were out of whack in MOS.
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #504
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

Honestly, a more lighthearted tone is what I´m hoping. I actually enjoyed Man of Steel and BvS, I watched them 2 times each in the cinema, but I personally don´t think these movies are necessarily fun movies. I never saw a kid saying anything about MoS or BvS, for exemple, but I see kids talking about Captain America, Iron Man and the Avengers all the time here. Most superheroes movies should grab the kids attention and inspire them first of all, in my opinion, and the first 2 movies of the DCEU failed at doing that. Thankfully Wonder Woman was a lot better received by the general public and I hope the Justice League movie follows the same path. Of course there is still room for more serious/dark/brutal movies, but they shouldn´t be the norm.
Jesse Custer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:07 PM   #505
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman View Post
Yes, the General's portrayal was well done IMO. Trying to save his people and their ways by any means. Noble, if not for the way he wanted to do it.

It was Superjerk and his supporting cast's portrayals that were out of whack in MOS.
How was he a superjerk?

I thought MOS was the best portrayal of Superman so far (I just wish Nolan would of finished it)... Given when I was a kid I thought Christopher Reeve did an awesome job but those movies do not hold up to time very well, as an adult those Superman movies come off as VERY cheesy.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #506
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
I actually preferred Faora Ul to General Zod in Man of Steel. I thought she was much more menacing and would love to see her come back in future films. She's only stuck in the Phantom Zone, so she should be about ready to break out...
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #507
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman View Post

I loved Man of Steel...thought it was SUPER!
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #508
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
I actually preferred Faora Ul to General Zod in Man of Steel. I thought she was much more menacing and would love to see her come back in future films. She's only stuck in the Phantom Zone, so she should be about ready to break out...
I feel the same. She was a fantastic, well developed character & villain. One of the very best in any comic book/superhero film to date and I’d love to see her return as well.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #509
Mister H
Gen 13

If Bats and WW can Cary the movie then I think we’ll see a Flaspoint movie. I’m holding out hope that the others can give a surprise performance like Keaton in the 89 Batman.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:35 AM   #510
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Custer View Post
Honestly, a more lighthearted tone is what I´m hoping. I actually enjoyed Man of Steel and BvS, I watched them 2 times each in the cinema, but I personally don´t think these movies are necessarily fun movies. I never saw a kid saying anything about MoS or BvS, for exemple, but I see kids talking about Captain America, Iron Man and the Avengers all the time here. Most superheroes movies should grab the kids attention and inspire them first of all, in my opinion, and the first 2 movies of the DCEU failed at doing that. Thankfully Wonder Woman was a lot better received by the general public and I hope the Justice League movie follows the same path. Of course there is still room for more serious/dark/brutal movies, but they shouldn´t be the norm.
I think you will be happy JL based on what I have read thus far.

This is a pretty decent, and spoiler free, collection of critic impressions for those so inclined.

https://batman-news.com/2017/11/10/j...dia-reactions/
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote