Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-08-2017, 10:29 PM   #1691
Gecktechs
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
Agree, XM has not directly done this. But IMO they need a mechanism to move these pieces to EU and North American buyers, and the middle men/grey market resellers are their sales channel.

And in order to achieve sales these resellers need to make money, so IMO XM has to allocate a lot of pieces to them to make it worth their time. That's why all the pieces on XM's website show "Sold Out" but you have a grey market reseller on BST FB groups with 5 She Hulks and 4 Hawkeyes they're bundling with Cable or Venom. The sellout for most pieces is an illusion indirectly facilitated by XM. That's all part of the hype train.

I'm an XM fan, and love plenty of their statues, but the hype is there to make sure the grey market guys make their cut. Hype + the illusion of "sold out" is why you have guys here who paid $2K for Venom and now a few months later you can buy them for $1400. Same with Cable.

BTW I've seen this same exact dynamic collecting luxury watches for 15+ years. Happens all the time on boutique, special editions, limited etc... well it used to before the bubble sorta burst a few years ago LOL!! Same will happen with statues... just my 2 cents, I won't get offended and butt hurt if you don't agree LOL!!
Gecktechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:26 PM   #1692
Bowen or Bust
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Holy ----, this thread has turned into another SS vs XM slap fest ... Why are some of you here so insecure !!
Bowen or Bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:11 AM   #1693
T.MAC
Kindly Asked To Leave

I just want a Magneto to love and call my own.
T.MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:23 AM   #1694
ryuhayabusa6787
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
I am not refuting that aftermarket prices fall on many of the XM statues...but what does that have to do with hype? This is my particular argument in this situation. Name me one company where most products don't drop in the aftermarket? Trying to sell most SS these days is abysmal.

This is not just an XM phenomenon...it is a hobby phenomenon...but aftermarket prices has nothing to do with a product being excellent which you have attested to. Unlike AA909 who gets his panties all twisted up because he completely overacted to what I said...it seems you have a more understanding approach.

Aftermarket $ does not = hype. It = people's wants and what they can afford.
What I was trying to convey is that during preorder xm pieces are sold out and people pay a fortune to secure them. When product is in hands after a few months to a year it's sold for wAy less then what people originally paid for. Hype created during preorder drives preorder prices up when dealing with middlemen once in hands people realize it's hype doesn't warrant price they paid, too big for their collection etc and it goes for sale below retail or at retail. Surly you can't tell me that people who preordered medusa paid more for her then something like hulkbuster which at this point as far as I'm concerned is being hyped to death. Now will it live up to hype or fall below retail we will see. Highly doubt price will decrease with that statue.

I strongly disagree aftermarket prices does not equal hype there are many that feel doom magneto warrant price many that feel they are hyped based on their prices. And price don't warrant it.
ryuhayabusa6787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:02 AM   #1695
ryuhayabusa6787
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newe82 View Post
Two things I will never understand.

1. Why people think Thanos is worth $1200. Nice statue but $500 of that price is hype. They are making 4K of them!

2. The outrageous price people pay for XM statues. They are pretty much all hype other than a few pieces. $4k for a 1/5 scale (I know it is suppose to be 1/4) magneto is ridiculous. That was the first really detailed digitally sculpted and printed. People had never seen it before and lost their mind. Those sculpts are becoming the norm now. It is nice but come on.

I think all these companies play games to give the illusion of demand.
i have thanos ex on order 100% hype not mine will go to someone else. Fatty as I call him is hype. I could of had 10 friends buy 10 and flipped it but I don't have time for that nonsense. When I saw they did a special long showcase for him and Casey love was painting him I knew it was over right there and then. I really can't dispute after comic con and ss saying that is the production piece get ready for fatty on toilet to be 3k. I think the bas$ards art print is selling for like 500.00 much less him. Whoever thinks they getting ex for 500.00 will have another thing coming. If a statue comes out good and hyped edition size will be irrelevant. Regular still not sold out people waiting to see what ss will produce, if they get this right regular gone in a day after pics and videos surface.

Magneto amazing statue but not 3k amazing. Hard to really find a statue from any company that warrants 3k. sculpt that warrants 3k for me lots of statues but sculpt and paint not sure if I've seen one in person.
ryuhayabusa6787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:46 AM   #1696
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytiger View Post
You will have long wait for that price or get really lucky.The price at 1200.00 with shipping around 1300.00 don't see this ever going for half price.

He is sitting on a chair.......
So is XM mag try to get that below 3,000.00
What's the ES on Mags vs Thanos. Plus, Magneto is way more popular than Thanos- even with the movies(which is the crowd SS is going after).

Big difference. And yes, I will get it for cheap. Sorry.
Unless they change the ES by over 1000.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:49 AM   #1697
danteipp
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.MAC View Post
I just want a Magneto to love and call my own.
Same here. Magneto is probably the #1 charcter missing from my collection, in any scale. I didn't love any of the Bowens, the first SS statue wasn't for me and I didn't know about XM when they released the first Magneto. I thought of picking up one of the customs, but was really hoping the new SS Mags would be the one for me. Right now it looks like the wait will continue.
danteipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:53 AM   #1698
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

This also IMO is not and EX or fail.

Y'all keep acting like over a 1000$ is fine for a 1:4 statue with an outrageous ES.
It may be fine to us collectors but a lot of people are gonna be regretting getting this piece down the road and selling. Non collectors will sell because of
-space needed to display
- they wound up not caring about the character in the movie they liked so much
- grew tired of it

Also XM Mags being a 3K statue is not because consumers bought it out. They were bought up by flippers, and the collectors willing to pay the price were riding on that train when the flipping started and got up to 3k

Last edited by Ryanbusts; 08-09-2017 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Edit
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:57 AM   #1699
newe82
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbusts View Post
What's the ES on Mags vs Thanos. Plus, Magneto is way more popular than Thanos- even with the movies(which is the crowd SS is going after).

Big difference. And yes, I will get it for cheap. Sorry.
Unless they change the ES by over 1000.
Thanos ES is 4K @ $1200 a pop. That is equivalent of making 10k Batmans or 10k wonder woman's. This Will easily be found for $800 if not less within 5 years. This will not be the last Thanos statue made. The days of making money off these are long gone. Customers need to plan on losing 30% of retail value, especially with SS huge Edition sizes. No statues today that are really well done have low Es that will justify long term value retention. We are paying aftermarket prices upfront.
newe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:54 AM   #1700
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowen or Bust View Post
Holy ----, this thread has turned into another SS vs XM slap fest ... Why are some of you here so insecure !!
Because not many of us are thrilled with this PF so we need other things to talk about.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote