Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 03-08-2020, 08:05 PM   #1
Canadaguy705
Sailor Moon

Qutting Bishoujos -- Thanks for the memories

Long time collecting Bishoujos, but I think it's time I quit this hobby.

Prices are now approaching $150 USD and with all these re-issues, it's de-valuing the figures that I do own. I'm old-school. I like my collectibles to be collectible (Hate re-issues).

At one time, my local shop sold out immediately, very rarely would one make it to the shelf. But now, they're sitting there collecting dust waiting to be bought.

Too much money for plastic figures IMO.

It's been great following my fellow collectors on these boards and I MAY buy a SDCC exclusive if I absolutely love it, but other than that, I think I'm done and will live my hobby through you guys!

Thanks!
Canadaguy705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:13 PM   #2
Gothamite
Phoenix

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:53 PM   #3
built2shred
Phoenix

I have to agree with you, these companies are going to kill the hobby because of their greed. It was fun to collect these statues when they were rare but now companies like Koto just flood the marketplace with re-releases, version 2.0, 3.0, etc... these feel more like toys then collectibles.

There is so much product out there... I miss the good old days (10+ years ago) when these were truly collectibles and this was more of a niche hobby.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:03 PM   #4
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I can't say I'm done but I hate the re-issues. Make the same character again sure I'm all for that. Like the OG Wonder Women they made Armored WW but now they are turning around a re-issuing the Armored version like WTF! Make one of the 2 million versions of WW for crying out loud. For as much as these go fro now why can't they? When i started you could get these under $50 now a cheap one is $70. For the prices I think the collector deserves better.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:26 PM   #5
Canadaguy705
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I have to agree with you, these companies are going to kill the hobby because of their greed. It was fun to collect these statues when they were rare but now companies like Koto just flood the marketplace with re-releases, version 2.0, 3.0, etc... these feel more like toys then collectibles.

There is so much product out there... I miss the good old days (10+ years ago) when these were truly collectibles and this was more of a niche hobby.
Exactly this ! That's how I'm feeling about them now!
Old 03-08-2020, 11:37 PM   #6
Canadaguy705
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander0Zero View Post
I can't say I'm done but I hate the re-issues. Make the same character again sure I'm all for that. Like the OG Wonder Women they made Armored WW but now they are turning around a re-issuing the Armored version like WTF! Make one of the 2 million versions of WW for crying out loud. For as much as these go fro now why can't they? When i started you could get these under $50 now a cheap one is $70. For the prices I think the collector deserves better.
It's funny you say that. It was when I was at the Koto store yesterday and saw all those re-issues for sale where my passion for them started to tank.

Now they want me to pay upwards of $150 USD for something they're just going to re-issue down the road. Flood the market, pad their pockets with easy money, thus diminishing the return for my product, both financially and satisfaction of ownership.

I have no problem with them selling different sculpts of the same character or even the SDCC exclusives.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:52 AM   #7
craigcliff1
The Masters of Evil

my first 10 years of collecting SSC, GG statues, maquettes was awesome, but 3-4 years now isn't that much fun. Sculpts are super awesome and P1, PCS are making TF and Robotech, Joes, Tmnt, but with how much statues, shipping are, and now taxes I don't collect much anymore.
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:30 AM   #8
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I hate the reissues as well. If you're going to re-release a character, it better damn well be a brand new sculpt. But, sadly most of them aren't.

And what determines it? Why does Ivy and Dark Phoenix get new sculpts but Wonder Woman (armored) gets a tired re-release?
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:49 AM   #9
elvirawynter
A day without sunshine is like... night.

As I said to you on Youtube and I added a little extra;

It's a shame to hear that you are quitting and I do see others feeling the same way. But as I've said in our Bishoujo Facebook group, if its a statue you love then shop around!

Personally for me I couldn't keep buying if I bought locally as the prices are ridiculous, so I always order direct from Japan and you do save quite a bit of money.

I can see why re-issues would bug some, but at the end of the day other companies do keep repeating the same characters over and over again, and it tends to be to get funding for other more obscure characters etc. Also helps encourage newer buyers to the hobby as well, as there can be a lot of price gouging or in most cases people are being wrapped up in bootlegs, and it happens a bit too often sadly for those who don't know what to look out for.

I myself have quit collecting a lot more pricier collectibles, as I felt that they weren't worth it at the end of the day (Hot Toys, Sideshow etc). This is a hobby and we should be enjoying what we spend our hard earned money on, and if the Bishoujo isn't worth it to you at the end of the day then so be it, it is your decision at the end of the day and we can only respect you for it.
elvirawynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:13 PM   #10
grphyx1
Kingpin

I see the re-releases and I just throw away the boxes. I am not a fan of re-issues at all. Koto is also doing it with aaaaaalll of the Pokemon figures.
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote