Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-01-2016, 08:45 AM   #11
Colossal
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Smashed through the series yesterday, really great throughout - I found the finale of the first Daredevil more engaging but loved the outcome nonetheless, just don't think the main bad guy (no spoilers) wasn't as strong as Kingpin or Kilgrave, but definitely a great show and hope to see more of big Luke Cage soon!
Colossal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:42 AM   #12
snappahead
Producer
Producer

This was fantastic. My favorite of the Netflix Marvels shows so far.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:00 AM   #13
Dan_Lebou
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Only seen up to ep.4 so far but loving the sly comic nods that they are throwing in (especially in Ep.4!)
Dan_Lebou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:53 AM   #14
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Lebou View Post
Only seen up to ep.4 so far but loving the sly comic nods that they are throwing in (especially in Ep.4!)
Same, I'm thru w/ 4 & am loving this show. Ep. 4's comic nod was just so much fun!

Have to mention the use of music in this show. I knew it would be a huge part of the show, but I'm very impressed w/ the choices. Blue-note Jazz, some great modern soul & the incorporation of live acts in the club scenes really work too. This my bump DD as my fave Netflix/Marvel show.

My one complaint - Hospitals, prisons & police stations seem to be the mainstay settings for a lot of these Netflix shows.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #15
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Finished the series and thought it was great overall 8/10. Highlights for me were that Harlem is a character in itself and the villains were very well developed. My only issue, and it's the same issue I have with most comic book based shows/movies, is the wide fluctuation of Luke's power range. He should more or less be in the Thing or Colossus level but he seems to be Spidey level or less.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #16
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
Finished the series and thought it was great overall 8/10. Highlights for me were that Harlem is a character in itself and the villains were very well developed. My only issue, and it's the same issue I have with most comic book based shows/movies, is the wide fluctuation of Luke's power range. He should more or less be in the Thing or Colossus level but he seems to be Spidey level or less.
I agree with the power fluctuations. The way he's able to fold pistols like nothing makes him seem crazy strong, but it doesn't always read that he's THAT powerful. I did really like the way they explained his skin durability and found ways to make him vulnerable. When a guy is practically indestructible, it becomes a writing problem to find ways to put them in danger or give them a real threat.

I also wish they had explained how Diamondback's gear worked. He wore gloves that connected to a backpack that somehow made him stupid strong...without some explanation, it feels a bit lazy and how does wearing a suit make him a physical match for Cage or make him so resilient to damage. I got some Smallville flashbacks with Diamondback's gear where they always just said "kryptonite" and that was all of the explanation you got.

Minor issues in the grand scheme when everything is working so well otherwise.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #17
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
Having Spidey-level strength or less is actually how Luke was originally conceived. It was only when Bendis got hold of him in the 2000s that his strength multiplied to near Superman range.

Edit: Reading Luke Cage's entry in the Marvel Wiki Database, this discrepancy is somewhat accounted for by saying he initially was only able to "lift approximately 5 tons, but with intense physical training and years of experience ... his current strength levels reach around "Class 50" or higher..."
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #18
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
I agree with the power fluctuations. The way he's able to fold pistols like nothing makes him seem crazy strong, but it doesn't always read that he's THAT powerful. I did really like the way they explained his skin durability and found ways to make him vulnerable. When a guy is practically indestructible, it becomes a writing problem to find ways to put them in danger or give them a real threat.

I also wish they had explained how Diamondback's gear worked. He wore gloves that connected to a backpack that somehow made him stupid strong...without some explanation, it feels a bit lazy and how does wearing a suit make him a physical match for Cage or make him so resilient to damage. I got some Smallville flashbacks with Diamondback's gear where they always just said "kryptonite" and that was all of the explanation you got.

Minor issues in the grand scheme when everything is working so well otherwise.
Exactly. Bends a gun in half rather effortlessly with one hand but has difficulty lifting a 100 pound piece of rock.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:38 PM   #19
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
Having Spidey-level strength or less is actually how Luke was originally conceived. It was only when Bendis got hold of him in the 2000s that his strength multiplied to near Superman range.

Edit: Reading Luke Cage's entry in the Marvel Wiki Database, this discrepancy is somewhat accounted for by saying he initially was only able to "lift approximately 5 tons, but with intense physical training and years of experience ... his current strength levels reach around "Class 50" or higher..."
That makes more sense. He's an amalgam of current (look) and old (strength level). Perhaps that 2nd dipping in the chemical bath enhances his power a bit...
Old 10-04-2016, 12:24 AM   #20
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Yes, when Luke first appeared he went toe-to-toe with Spidey, directly following Gwen Stacy's death, and Spidey actually put him down. As noted, he was Spidey strength class up until Bendis out him in New Avengers and became more Thing strength class.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote