Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 09-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #31
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLothos View Post
I'm starting the Rebirth Batgirl series from the beginning. I just finished the first four Hope Larson issues and it turns out I've read them before and just forgot over the past few years. Fun stuff... the art was jarring at first, but you adapt to it quickly with the fun and action of the story.

I'll make it to the current stuff soon enough!
The Hope Larson run had its moments. My favorite story arc was the one where we got to see some flashbacks to her high school years with Dick Grayson.

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #32
Augen
Metal Men

I know this is weird, but when Dick talked about being a millennial it sort of jarred my brain. He's right, but it is odd to think of a character who grew up (Robin to Nightwing) before I was born and was an elder of the Bat family that way.

I guess in current comic continuity though Bruce and Clark would be millennials as well (age 19-38).
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:18 PM   #33
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I know this is weird, but when Dick talked about being a millennial it sort of jarred my brain. He's right, but it is odd to think of a character who grew up (Robin to Nightwing) before I was born and was an elder of the Bat family that way.

I guess in current comic continuity though Bruce and Clark would be millennials as well (age 19-38).
As I've been researching comics to collect issues with Barbara Gordon, I think I finally figured out DC's approach to continuity. Basically, New 52 was a clean break in terms of the characters' ages. Rebirth is a continuation of New 52. However, the characters are starting to remember some of the things that "happened" to them in previous continuities. Some of the same things happened, just during the 1990s/2000s instead of the 1930s-1980s.

I prefer current continuity to the mess that happened during the 1980s-2000s. I like that Batgirl is Commissioner Gordon's biological daughter. It made little sense to me why Jim Gordon's estranged brother would name his daughter Barbara...the same as Jim Gordon's wife.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #34
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
I prefer current continuity to the mess that happened during the 1980s-2000s. I like that Batgirl is Commissioner Gordon's biological daughter. It made little sense to me why Jim Gordon's estranged brother would name his daughter Barbara...the same as Jim Gordon's wife.
I'm adjusting to the Rebirth/Reborn characterizations as they progress. My biggest gripe was when they merged the various realities (Crisis on Infinite Earths) and the Earth-2 heroes became part of an earlier, linear timeline shared by the Earth-1 heroes. First they had to erase Earth-2's Kal-L, as the likelihood of two Kryptonians with nearly identical backstories was too farfetched and they also bumped off Huntress and adult Robin (Batman/Catwoman -- previously deceased) prior to the reset.
This was a mess and soon had to try all over again, and again and again....
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #35
Gothamite
Phoenix

Yeah, too many characters using the same codenames/secret identities. This is a problem common to all shared universes, of course. Codenames are usually cooler than the actual characters, so writers just keep re-using codenames until a character becomes popular with readers.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #36
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
The Hope Larson run had its moments. My favorite story arc was the one where we got to see some flashbacks to her high school years with Dick Grayson.

Haha, I dig this already!

I also agree with everyone's slight confusion/disturbance to the characters' ages being off due to all the reboots and restarts.

P.S. I just read #5 and wish I waited to post as this issue concludes a story arc. They seem to be trying to mix Barbara's brains and Cassandra's skill. We'll see how that goes over the next few issues...
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:29 PM   #37
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Making progress... I enjoyed #6-11 a lot more than the first 5. A better mix of drama, action, and humor. Lots of laugh out loud moments. A lot of nice plot directions and details. Looking forward to the next arc...
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #38
Gothamite
Phoenix

Just read today's Issue, #27.

Anyone wanna bet that

Spoiler
Detective Evan Douglas

is the new Grotesque?
Old 10-24-2018, 07:32 AM   #39
Gothamite
Phoenix

I was right about the new Grotesque's real identity.

That Josh Middleton sure draws amazing covers.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #40
Augen
Metal Men

Both covers this month are stunning.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote