Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Infinity Studios / Gantaku / Queen Studios

Old 02-01-2023, 07:38 PM   #151
Masa_yodamorph
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
I agree, I love 1/2 when done right, very noticeable step up from 1/3rds.

Gandalf would have definitely been better in 1/3 with that pose. Most of the Infinity ones are going for a bit more action than museum look which is OK until they do something like Gandalf.
Honestly, I REALLY wanted Gandalf. I’m very disappointed in their chosen pose. Just standing with his pipe would have been perfect. If you wanted more action then him holding his staff out with a light up feature in the orb would also have been perfect.

Like you’ve said in another thread, IS not including his iconic hat is definitely a big miss as well. AND lol if they were trying to do cohesiveness with all of the Fellowship, this pose was from an iconic solo scene. It doesn’t make sense why G is the focal point. Not that it matters, because I was never or can’t afford them all anyways but still lol.
Masa_yodamorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:51 PM   #152
Aidmit One
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa_yodamorph View Post
I think the ?it factor? is the significant size difference in 1/2 scale. I personally like 1/2 scale size. There?s definitely a difference in presence.
Exactly this. Saying 1/2 scale "just seems like an un-necessary space and financial burden" is total nonsense lol. It's completely relative. Someone with more space and a greater income will absolutely disagree. Anyone could say the exact same thing about 1/4 vs. 1/3 or 1/6 vs. 1/4, etc. For me personally, 1/2 is definitely the way to go. Perfect cost and perfect size.
Aidmit One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:15 PM   #153
Masa_yodamorph
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidmit One View Post
Exactly this. Saying 1/2 scale "just seems like an un-necessary space and financial burden" is total nonsense lol. It's completely relative. Someone with more space and a greater income will absolutely disagree. Anyone could say the exact same thing about 1/4 vs. 1/3 or 1/6 vs. 1/4, etc. For me personally, 1/2 is definitely the way to go. Perfect cost and perfect size.
I don’t think Silas was bashing. Maybe came off too strong in generalizing about 1/2 scales?

I really hate when people say, ”1/2 scales are creepy and look like kids”. THAT is nonsense and THAT is creepy if you think/see that lol.

I would have gotten this if it was 1/3 or 1/4 as well. However, I personally love that these are 1/2 scales. I don’t want to dive deep into LOTR and have multiple statues of everyone. I just want an impressive representation of my fave characters in LOTR and I think IS has achieved that imo. I think IS has done a great job with this. Even though I’m disappointed with Gandalf, they did a really good job on him as well.

Do you have this or Gandalf on PO?
Old 02-01-2023, 11:22 PM   #154
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidmit One View Post
Nobody is speaking in absolutes, when I made that comment I was referring to my personal situation.

There are 3 main companies dealing in 1/2 scale licensed statues, Prime1, Infinity and Queen. IN MY OPINION - Prime1 1:2 scales are a complete miss, they're just scaled up 1/4 pieces - which, while bigger and costing more - don't deliver any further embellishments than their smaller counterparts.

I've been equally unimpressed with Queen Studios 1/2 scale pieces. While they have amazing silicone headsculpts, the bodies are again, just scaled up versions of smaller statues. Case in point, their Iron Man 1/2 scales......when you take a look at the body detailing, especially where the legs meet the torso, it's just a continuous uninterrupted surface, they've not bothered to model a "split" between the leg armour and the torso / groin armour - crucial if you want to actually do more than stand in one position....they can get away with such poor modelling at smaller scales (maybe) - but at 1/2 scale......no chance. And don't get me started on the sculpting issues on Captain America or Aquaman.

Now, as I said, this is all my opinion. You may disagree, and that's fine - you're spending your money and me mine! However, as of right now, I don't believe these companies are adequately utilising the size "benefits" that 1/2 scale could offer in terms of detail - they're just taking a 1/4 scale sculpt and blowing it up.....at least, that's what it looks like to me.

I'm not willing to pay the premium in terms of cost or space for that. Maybe you are, and again, thats fine.

Maybe Infinity will buck the trend with this line - but.....seeing some of what they did with the 1:1 Harley Quinn bust, gives me pause.....let's see.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:04 AM   #155
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
they're just taking a 1/4 scale sculpt and blowing it up
Oh I get it, you're saying 1/2 scale are just larger, more pixelated versions of their smaller counterparts
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:23 AM   #156
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
Oh I get it, you're saying 1/2 scale are just larger, more pixelated versions of their smaller counterparts
I wouldn't go that far!

I think they're putting the lions share of the "effort" into the portraits and H eadsculpts, but they're taking huge short cuts on the body and bases....in...my...opinion.

I bet most of these 1/2 scales look crazy good at first glance, but on closer inspection, they don't seem to hold up.
Old 02-02-2023, 01:28 AM   #157
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far!

I think they're putting the lions share of the "effort" into the portraits and H eadsculpts, but they're taking huge short cuts on the body and bases....in...my...opinion.

I bet most of these 1/2 scales look crazy good at first glance, but on closer inspection, they don't seem to hold up.
So this opinion is based solely on looking at pics on the internet? That explains at lot. People that actually have these in hand know better.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:43 AM   #158
Masa_yodamorph
The Avengers

Quote:
So… I guess you were bashing 1/2 scales lol?

Lots of 1/3 and 1/4 don’t hold up. It’s not the size that determines whether they do or not.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:29 AM   #159
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
So this opinion is based solely on looking at pics on the internet? That explains at lot. People that actually have these in hand know better.
Yeah, I considered that, and I agree with you.....there's only so much you can stand firm on, just by looking at reviews and online photos. So I'm well aware that my opinion doesn't have a solid base.

.....but here's the rub, how much am I willing to risk just to validate my opinion. A whole bunch of people were running down the JND Catwoman, based on images they saw. The comments about droopy face, big lips, etc. etc.....and no matter what collectors who actually had the part said, these guys were fixed on their opinion....with some saying (and I fully understand it) why should we pay $2K just to confirm if a face is droopy or not....

If I could get a chance to view some of these 1/2 scales in person, I'd jump at the chance...I'm fully open to change my opinion if it turns out to be wrong.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:34 AM   #160
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa_yodamorph View Post
So? I guess you were bashing 1/2 scales lol?

Lots of 1/3 and 1/4 don?t hold up. It?s not the size that determines whether they do or not.
Very true. My point is that, as the scale drops, you can hide those shortcuts a bit easier. Also, while I don't subscribe to this way of thinking, I can understand it - to an extent....and that is, as a person's money investment drops (commensurate to scale), a person might be more tolerant of inaccuracies, reduced detail, or even slightly lower quality overall....again, not saying this is "right" - but as the cost goes up, so do the expectations