Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-17-2023, 07:08 PM   #28971
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

The Menu (2022) - A young couple travels to a remote island to eat at an exclusive restaurant where the chef has prepared a lavish menu, with some shocking surprises.

I've never seen a cheeseburger look so good on screen--which, within the context of all the other frou-frou dishes served, I believe was an ironic point of the film. 7/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 07:41 PM   #28972
Zombie
The unstoppable force has met the unmovable object

Barbarian - 6/10. that wasn't scary at all. the complete shift in tone was very jarring. over all just a mildly entertaining movie
Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:27 PM   #28973
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Decision to Leave (2022) - A detective investigating a man's death in the mountains meets the dead man's mysterious wife in the course of his dogged sleuthing.

Director Park Chan-wook's The Handmaiden is in my all-time top ten and while his new romance mystery thriller doesn't match that excellence, it does have some interesting twists throughout. I'm grateful to have seen it while it was still in theaters. 8/10
Old 01-19-2023, 06:42 PM   #28974
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Hereditary (2018) - A grieving family is haunted by tragic and disturbing occurrences.

I watched this after seeing it recommended here and I loved Midsommar also directed by Ari Aster. There are many similarities between the two films and this was very good as well. It's creepy for maybe the first 75% and then the end is when it's really scary--which is how I prefer my horror movies. 8/10

The Cabin in the Woods (2011) - Five friends go for a break at a remote cabin, where they get more than they bargained for, discovering the truth behind the cabin in the woods.

After Hereditary I watched this movie for the first time also and in comparison was a little disappointed. The premise was clever, sure, but as it went on, I thought it was trying too hard to be smart. Also funny seeing some of Joss Whedon's favorite TV actors reunited in the cast. 6/10
Old 01-20-2023, 03:48 PM   #28975
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Selma (2014) - A chronicle of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s campaign to secure equal voting rights via an epic march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama, in 1965.

I've seen this a few times now and still find it emotionally powerful. 9/10
Old 01-22-2023, 08:56 AM   #28976
Halcyon
New Republic

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Story 7/10
Did not have the old detective vibe like the first one.
Knives Out was solid and way better 9/10

Del Toro's Pinocchio 7.5/10
Felt like a standard remake. But couldn't stand the nagging why..why..but why.. by pinocchio.

Matrix: Resurrection 3/10
If you liked 1, 2, 3 don't watch this. Unnecessary movie and it spoils the fun of the first three.

Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities
First ep. is good 8/10
Second ep. is fun horror 9/10
Third ep. is decent 7.5/10
Four to Eight was waist of time.

Troll (Norwegian movie 2022) 8/10
Original movie and we liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Violent Night 9/10 Much better than I was thinking it was going to be. Will make this a yearly watch at Christmas
Indeed! Harbour did a great job and made us laugh in a good way.
Violent Night 9/10
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:54 PM   #28977
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Persuasion 7/10 nice adaptation of Jane Austin classic.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) 6.5/10 seminal horror movie which is pretty tame by todays standards but has a gritty feel and look which gives it more gravitas.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 04:45 AM   #28978
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Revenge Of The Nerds - 9/10

Hadn't seen it in a while, still a classic comedy, though watching it edited for TV kinda ruins a few scenes.
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:56 PM   #28979
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

For the Lunar New Year, I watched a trio of Hong Kong films by Wong Kar-wai over the weekend.

Days of Being Wild (1990) - A man tries to find out who his real mother is after the woman who raised him tells him the truth.

Atmospheric and dreamlike, it's great to watch after-hours when most of the movie takes place. The skeletal plot, about the different characters' late night journeys occasionally intersecting, didn't resonate with me as much. 7/10

In the Mood for Love (2000) - Two neighbors form a strong bond after both suspect extramarital activities of their spouses. However, they agree to keep their bond platonic so as not to commit similar wrongs.

This is one of the most beautiful looking movies I've ever seen--from the way the characters are dressed to how each shot is framed. Additionally, the understated longing and desire between the protagonists is excellently handled--romance and heartbreak at its finest. No wonder it's considered by critics to be one of the greatest films ever made. 10/10

2046 (2004) - Several women enter a science fiction author's life over the course of a few years, after the author has lost the woman he considers his one true love.

In contrast to the previous film's wonderful simplicity, the sequel to In the Mood for Love alternates between the present and fictional sci-fi passages with time jumps thrown in too. Perhaps there's some overreach in its scope with even appearances by characters from Days of Being Wild, but it's still a good attempt at closing the tale of a broken man. 8/10
Old 01-23-2023, 07:13 PM   #28980
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

My wife wanted to watch Where the Crawdads Sing. Not bad but nothing special. 7/10
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote