Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Action Figures / Toys / Trading Cards

Old 11-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #51
Jokerbone
Justice League

Can't wait!

I had the all the masterpiece sets complete from 92 to 96 with the exception of the 2 mirage cards from 95.

About a year ago, I went back trying to collect the 3 sets from the relaunch in the 2000's. They just weren't the same though. Ended up selling all of those including the entire writer autograph set. I didn't enjoy looking at the art as much as I did from the earlier sets.

I'll be buying at least a box!
Jokerbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #52
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium_substit View Post
Well as you suspected Quicksilver they've now changed it to 2015.. I got tired of wishful hoping to have a box in time for xmas (would have been the best self present lol) so had a masterpieces stalk

This is what Joe says on his deviantART with the title '2015 MARVEL MASTERPIECES TRADING CARDS'

I've been away from deviantART for a bit due to being buried under a new 135 painting MARVEL MASTERPIECES trading card set. It's been over 20 years since the first one (1992) and I've always wanted to do a follow up. Obviously I can't post any of the art that Upper Deck hasn't released but there are a few pieces in the attached article link. Having a blast and can't wait for everyone to see them! Release date is early 2015. I'll announce a solid date when I have one. Hope everyone is well, and I'll be back in force when this job is done in January!

I guess I will hold off on hope until January now, since that's when he'll be done.. but at least it means they're not rushing him - it will be a real quality set

Also the give away of 135 paintings tells us something.. a good number of those must be inserts
im guessing 100 card base set and 35 inserts cant wait for this set, I am glad they are giving him time instead of rushing him (although they rushed him on the 92 set and it came out absolutley amazing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerbone View Post
Can't wait!

I had the all the masterpiece sets complete from 92 to 96 with the exception of the 2 mirage cards from 95.

About a year ago, I went back trying to collect the 3 sets from the relaunch in the 2000's. They just weren't the same though. Ended up selling all of those including the entire writer autograph set. I didn't enjoy looking at the art as much as I did from the earlier sets.

I'll be buying at least a box!
im in the same boat, only missing the 2 mirage cards from the 95 set but got all the other cards. I also still have the 2000 era marvel masterpieces but I agree, rehashed artwork that werent even paintings do not classify as 'masterpiecs' in my books
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #53
ALEX23
The Avengers

Well the delay sucks, but by the same token, more time to save up money for it!

135 cards would fit exactly in 15 pages so that sounds great to me. Granted I'm sure there will be parallel sets but I always hated when sets have a strange number of cards that leaves you with one card in a page by itself and the like.
ALEX23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #54
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX23 View Post
Well the delay sucks, but by the same token, more time to save up money for it!

135 cards would fit exactly in 15 pages so that sounds great to me. Granted I'm sure there will be parallel sets but I always hated when sets have a strange number of cards that leaves you with one card in a page by itself and the like.
I also hate when sets have a strange number of cards lol did you ever get that 94 masterpieces signature cyclops card I mailed you Alex? hopefully it arrived OK
Old 11-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #55
ALEX23
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I also hate when sets have a strange number of cards lol did you ever get that 94 masterpieces signature cyclops card I mailed you Alex? hopefully it arrived OK
Check your pm's.
ALEX23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:30 AM   #56
SONICobra
Batman

anybody know if theres been an update on this?
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #57
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

supposed to be releasing sometime this year, very surprised Joe is this behind on the paintings, he made it sound like he had ample time in interviews from last year. Oh well i've waited 20+ years for this set, whats a few more months lol
Old 05-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #58
SONICobra
Batman

yeah im with you the waits fine, I hope he doesn't rush them
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:01 AM   #59
premium_substit
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Still hanging out for these along with you guys. This will be a great thread once these start rolling in

In the meantime, on the subject of OG awesome Marvel card artists, here is a very recent piece of Marvel art Boris Vallejo showed in the last ~24 hours..

"This is a commissioned painting that I recently finished, based on a cover by my friend John Buscema, Silver Surfer, volume 1, number 4 from February 1969.--Boris"

wow i miss this kind of art so much, it's based on this..

premium_substit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #60
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

love it!! hopefully with Joe doing a new set, they'll get boris/julie to do another set, or maybe the hildebrandt bros? that would be so sweet. To me they are only "masterpieces" when they are fully painted with original art, not like the releases from some odd years ago taht were called masterpieces but were nothing but rehashed non painted art...those are not masterpieces, at least not the ones I know and love