Producer/Publisher: DC Comics
Designed By: Bruce Timm
Sculpted By: Jon Matthews
Limited Edition of 5,200
Approximately 7.4 inches tall
Release Date: 6/24/2014
SRP: $79.95

"My boss likes me to wear a smile to work"

Posted Description: The fun-loving, psychotic, Arkham Asylum doctor turned-inmate Harley Quinn joins the best-selling Batman Black & White line with this stunning statue designed by the character's co-creator, award-winning animator, artist, and producer, Bruce Timm!

The Review:

Sculpt:
Mr. Matthews sculpts in a wax-like material called Castilene. For more information on his sculpting process, please visit his website that is posted below. John obviously used his traditional method to do this sculpt.

DC Spotlight on Jon Matthews:
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/05...athan-matthews

Interesting fact: Mr. Matthews also sculpted the DC Museum and Arkham City Harley Quinn statues. He also did one of DC’s best figures, in my opinion, the Duela Dent Ame Comi figure.
This statue consists of three pieces: the figure, the base and the gun smoke. Harley Quinn is very small,
DC, on occasion produces some gems. I think this Harley piece, like most of their Harley pieces is one. She is well sculpted. Very smooth, with a great sass-filled pose. DC wouldn’t even have to inform us whose art-style this piece is focused on. It is obvious and conveys Bruce Timm’s artwork awesomely. It looks just like the art that it is based on.

Paint & Mixed Media:
DC is definitely getting better at their production paint applications. I think this piece is very clean. And that is shocking at this small scale. I would say that the paint apps on this small statue are comparable to what we see from Sideshow, Bowen etc. The paint is even and has some clean lines. If you look close, you might see a hair of paint bleeding into other areas of the sculpt. But really, who is going to display these pieces an inch away from their nose? I can tell that this piece was cast in multiple pieces, which allowed less hassle while painting them in production.

The gun smoke doesn’t seem to be painted. It might have a wash on it, to allow some of the detail to stay out. But it looks like it is just case out of a semi-transparent, foggy, lightly tan resin.

Design:
Obviously, this is based on Bruce Timm’s artwork. I have no problem with the Timm sketch that they based this piece on. There are a ton of his sketches that would have worked well. I can see why they decided to go with this design. It is classic, cute and has personality.

This is definitely the smallest statue I’ve ever purchase. It is small. DC lists this piece as 7.4 inches tall. I have my doubts. I will definitely be measuring this one to see if they are right. She doesn’t seem that tall. If DC made this in 1/6 scale or larger, it would sell like hot cakes. Well, this one did. If it was in a scale that appealed to more collectors, I can see it being even more popular. I don’t own any other DC Black and White statues so I can’t compare Harley Quinn’s size to other pieces in the line. I am not sure how I am going to display this piece, since most of my collection is 1/6 scale and larger. Mostly ΒΌ scale. I might have to work Harley into my bishoujo collection. I was thinking about getting a hanging shadow box to put her in too.

I watched a video review on Youtube, can’t remember exactly what one. But the person mentioned that they were in aw when they removed this statue from the box. And you really do. It is a great piece. Small, but has some impact.

Ratings:
Sculpt: 8.5
Paint & Mixed Media: 8
Design: 10
Production & Build Quality: 6.5 (Pinholes, OMG why?!)
Overall Rating: 8.25

Availability: The first edition of this statue had allocation issues. It is officially sold out and is hitting increased prices on ebay. DC is producing a second edition of Harley which will have slightly different colors. The outfit will consist of gray tones and the base will be white. Definitely pick up the second version if you missed out on the first, are a Harley-Quinn fan and love Timm’s artwork. You will not regret it.

Notes: I have a second edition of Harley ordered. I was hoping to get a third one, so I can repaint it as a colored version. But I need to enforce some control and keep it to just two.

"You think after living with Mistah J I'd be used to a little pain"

Thanks for reading!
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #2
dechirico7
The Flash

Old 10-22-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
dechirico7
The Flash

Old 10-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
dechirico7
The Flash

Old 10-22-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
dechirico7
The Flash

I have a couple more pics coming, but now Photobucket is down for maintenance.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Nice review!
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:50 PM   #7
COI

Great review, Dechirico.

What I wouldn't do to have Timm's art style represented in a larger (1/5 or 1/4) scale. But you may be right in that 1/6 might be ideal; I have to wonder whether or not the lack of detail inherent to his style would lend itself well to the bigger scales.

That said, I think this size and price combo is the reason why these things tend to be more in-demand than an ebola vaccine. Less than $100 is that impulse-buy level where collectors and non-collectors cross over.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:15 PM   #8
risingstar
Jedi Order

Great pics!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:07 AM   #9
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

This is such a beautiful piece. Well deserving of the title of best small statue of 2014. Good job, D!
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote