Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #81
Finisher
Blue Falcon

Raising costs for our hobby is what me concerns.
Of course the quality is better now (mostly). But its always a hard decision, if I really want to spend even more money in future.
Finisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:28 PM   #82
Dark Logic
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermark View Post
Funny how the mods are nowhere to be found when people try to derail these type of threads. As for being done with collecting, Catwoman PF, maybe Freddy Krueger PF, Phoenix XM and Spidey XM and a tweeterhead CW and then I'm done. None of this stuff will be highly saught after with these ES and quality but to each their own (I hope SS gets CW right but who knows).
Sorry about that bro. I promise it wasn't intentional. But you are right. Retire on.
Dark Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:42 PM   #83
Doctor Doom
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Logic View Post
Sorry about that bro. I promise it wasn't intentional. But you are right. Retire on.
Doctor Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #84
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Funny how the mods are nowhere to be found when people try to derail these type of threads. As for being done with collecting, Catwoman PF, maybe Freddy Krueger PF, Phoenix XM and Spidey XM and a tweeterhead CW and then I'm done. None of this stuff will be highly saught after with these ES and quality but to each their own (I hope SS gets CW right but who knows).
We tend to only step in on derailed threads where arguments and harsh statements are made between members. That hasn't occurred here. These types of derailments tend to get straightened out by the members on their own.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:03 AM   #85
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
And now you have two mods attention. If you're not happy with the way we moderate the forum, please feel free to go some place else. I'm sure we will all learn to cope with the loss.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:06 AM   #86
Rycher
Birdman

Quote:
Funny how the mods are nowhere to be found when people try to derail these type of threads.
Rycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:45 AM   #87
magneticsoul
A day without sunshine is like... night.

very good post bro. very inspiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Shreck View Post
What an amazing thread guys! Just caught myself reading your stories for over an hour now. I couldn't help but observe that great many of you "realized" that collecting took over your life, and it turned "bad". I guess it can happen. Collecting in my opinion is not only a hobby, it can also be an addiction. And as all addiction you indeed come out the other side and be all consumed by it!
But that being said happen to people, who try to fill a void within themselves with the hobby... or any kind of activities as the matter of fact.
Let me expand!

I have an immense passion for special effects, monsters, creature design from a very young age. These things, and the people who created them always inspired me: Rick Baker, Steve Wang, Stan Winston, KNB etc.
Today, I'm freelance illustrator, and still do draw lot of monsters as well. I work very hard at my craft and I don't earn a lot of money, but my passion for special effects is ever burning to this very day! This inspires me always. But it never took over my life!
As the matter of fact I also hit rock bottom in 2012 and I sold everything I had: Predator 1:1, Terminator endoskull chrome version, and many other grail pieces, and I went to travel around the world. I spent all my money. I could barely come back to London (I'm from Hungary). My family and friends were shocked. They thought that I'd never sell those pieces. And I wouldn't change a thing! Do you know why? Because no matter how many pieces I have from my favorite artists I respect so much, at the end of the day, I'm ME. I have my own world of imagination I use and express it in my work. They inspire me, they feed me, but I'm not these things. Sometimes it is enough for me to see a great piece to come out to have an idea for an illustration.
Since then I'm back into collecting, and I only own a few pieces. If I buy something new I usually sell what I don't like that much anymore. As so many others said before, it is finding the balance. And more importantly, you cannot find your happiness in the outside. It has to come from within. Something, nobody can get rid off. It is constant, and fueling.
Do I want more stuff? F*ck yeah!!! But do I need all of them to be inspired? No, I don't.

Fantastic thread! Keep on going!
magneticsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:06 AM   #88
jye318
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

same here, over 137 1/4 or above statues is really killing my wallet, plus family and new baby coming , I am about to cut it down more and more, or I will have to sell my other collection such as old paper money, coins, stamp etc..... collection world are never enough, we have to keep watch what we getting and spending....just my personal thought.
jye318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:16 AM   #89
Rycher
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jye318 View Post
same here, over 137 1/4 or above statues is really killing my wallet, plus family and new baby coming , I am about to cut it down more and more, or I will have to sell my other collection such as old paper money, coins, stamp etc..... collection world are never enough, we have to keep watch what we getting and spending....just my personal thought.
Where do you store the boxes, in a hangar?

As for me, I am content with a small, tidy collection with a cohesive theme. Got to draw the line somewhere, and going by theme vs merely collecting what looks cool helps me do that. There is the occasional impulse buy though, but there's nothing wrong with that. Everything in moderation.
Rycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #90
Max Shreck
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneticsoul View Post
very good post bro. very inspiring
Max Shreck is offline   Reply With Quote