Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 01-25-2024, 11:55 AM   #1
Mister H
Gen 13

HOWARD CHAYKIN

I never had an affinity towards the man's work or any dislike. I stumbled across this article the other day and read bits of it here and there. Some interesting opinions, some I agree with, some I shake my head at. I'll link it here. I wonder if other comic book people think the way he does?

https://medium.com/@howardvchaykin/i...e-e7f1bf790e53
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 12:31 PM   #2
jeremydmc
Black Panther

That was a good read.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 03:37 PM   #3
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
That was a good read.
+1
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 02:59 AM   #4
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I love Howard Chaykin and his work. A comic book store owner in KC who was a friend of his knew well my affinity, tastes and historical knowledge of comic books based on my decades of reading made sure, in the mid-1990s, to introduce me to his work, and I was hooked. I say he “was” a friend of his because he later was killed in a robbery of his store. Chaykin and I met before our mutual friend’s death at KC Planet ComicCon and talked for hours. Then, after our friend was killed, we mourned him together at Denver Comic Con and then talked comics again for about an hour afterwards. He and I connected since then and I’ve loved connecting with him all those times.

His intelligence and irreverence really speak to me. I think it’s great that he dishes on his Black Kiss work because I thought he was pandering to his audience as I was reading it. His association of Chuck Jones’ Road Runner/Coyote to Batman/Joker and Spider-Man/Green Goblin cracked me up. Let’s face it. He’s right! And I completely dig his Hey Kids! Comics! It’s seriously good stuff!

Thank you for posting this. I loved reading it and could hear his voice all the way through it. The man may well be more a journeyman than a genius, as he described himself, but I love reading his work. He always makes me think, which is more than I can say for most of the comic book writers/artists whose work I’ve consumed.

Last edited by wktf; 01-26-2024 at 03:05 AM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 08:58 AM   #5
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I love Howard Chaykin and his work. A comic book store owner in KC who was a friend of his knew well my affinity, tastes and historical knowledge of comic books based on my decades of reading made sure, in the mid-1990s, to introduce me to his work, and I was hooked. I say he ?was? a friend of his because he later was killed in a robbery of his store. Chaykin and I met before our mutual friend?s death at KC Planet ComicCon and talked for hours. Then, after our friend was killed, we mourned him together at Denver Comic Con and then talked comics again for about an hour afterwards. He and I connected since then and I?ve loved connecting with him all those times.

His intelligence and irreverence really speak to me. I think it?s great that he dishes on his Black Kiss work because I thought he was pandering to his audience as I was reading it. His association of Chuck Jones? Road Runner/Coyote to Batman/Joker and Spider-Man/Green Goblin cracked me up. Let?s face it. He?s right! And I completely dig his Hey Kids! Comics! It?s seriously good stuff!

Thank you for posting this. I loved reading it and could hear his voice all the way through it. The man may well be more a journeyman than a genius, as he described himself, but I love reading his work. He always makes me think, which is more than I can say for most of the comic book writers/artists whose work I?ve consumed.
Were you referencing Clint's Books and Comics? Close to the Plaza?
Old 01-26-2024, 09:16 AM   #6
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Chaykin's artical is really a heartfelt summary of his career with peronal confessions. (:

Man... You are so lucky. I wish a could meet and chat with all the comic book creators that i like.

A friend of mine has connetions with DC Comics actually He brought Jock to Turkiye, but i didn't have the time so i missed the opportunty to meet with Jock. :/ Same friend of mine also thought about bringing Frank Miller to Turkiye, but he is too old for such a long trip from America to Turkiye. :/

I meet and chat with Yildiray Cinar and Mahmut A. Asrar when i was an university student in Ankara though. (: They were just breaking into American Comics back then.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 10:05 AM   #7
Mister H
Gen 13

"I don’t care about perpetual variations on a perpetual theme, which is the very template, the body electric of mainstream comics. The endless repeating of what’s come before in an ostensibly new way, is the internal combustion engine, the be all end all of what the mainstream comic book business has become."
-Chaykin

Couldn't agree with this more.
Old 01-26-2024, 10:58 AM   #8
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Were you referencing Clint's Books and Comics? Close to the Plaza?
I was. It’s on Main and 39th Street. And my dear friend Jim Cavenaugh, who was its owner. I lived in KC from 1997 - 2011 and Clint’s was my home away from home. I came back to KC from Denver, where I moved in 2011, for the memorial service they held for Jim outside Clint’s. As sad as the occasion was, it was so great to see Sharon, his wife, and all the other folks I knew from going to Clint’s every week for 14 years. I miss that guy and KC.

Last edited by wktf; 01-26-2024 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-26-2024, 11:42 AM   #9
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I was. It?s on Main and 39th Street. And my dear friend Jim Cavenaugh, who was its owner. I lived in KC from 1997 - 2011 and Clint?s was my home away from home. I came back to KC from Denver, where I moved in 2011, for the memorial service they held for Jim outside Clint?s. As sad as the occasion was, it was so great to see Sharon, his wife, and all the other folks I knew from going to Clint?s every week for 14 years. I miss that guy and KC.
I taught at a college and lived in KC for a snippet of that time frame. I would drive past Clint's everyday from UMKC and stopped there every week. Loved that place. I talked to the owner a few times. I bought my, now, most valuable comic, DC Comics Presents #26 from Clint's.
Old 01-26-2024, 01:10 PM   #10
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
I taught at a college and lived in KC for a snippet of that time frame. I would drive past Clint's everyday from UMKC and stopped there every week. Loved that place. I talked to the owner a few times. I bought my, now, most valuable comic, DC Comics Presents #26 from Clint's.
That?s a wonderful book. I have it, too. I believe I bought it at Clint?s as well, brother. I wonder if you and I ever crossed paths at Clint’s? We may never know.

Last edited by wktf; 01-26-2024 at 01:13 PM.