Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 04-25-2006, 02:14 PM   #11
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batfan
DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF PAINT STRIPPER ARGGGGGG I tried that on a Bowen captain marvel mini bust I was gonna make into a Batman and it ate the statue I came back and it looked like I had an instant clayface statue and the rest that it did not eat it became very brittle
Instant Clayface? Kit that baby!
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:19 PM   #12
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Weird, i stripped about 4 bowen busts allready with acetone i had sitting in the garage. All i did was put on rubber gloves, dip the bust into a cup so it was submerged. let it sit for about a minute. Then used a tooth brush to brush it away. Process took about 5min and then i just washed it off with warm soap and water and ran it under the hose outside for a bit.

I only used acetone cause i had a gallon jug in the garage and didnt feel like spending anymore cash on something else. I stripped 3 bowen cap marvel busts, and a FS black widow with no problems at all. I didnt get any melting or damage to the resin, but then again it only took 5min to peal the paint right off.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:43 PM   #13
Dizneeguy
Kindly Asked To Leave

Same here, acetone has always worked for us with zero problems.
Dizneeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #14
fenix v.2.0
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneeguy
Same here, acetone has always worked for us with zero problems.
Even on resin kits?
fenix v.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:15 PM   #15
Scott Johansen
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I've used a variety of products. Polly S ELO (easy lift off), Easy Off Oven cleaner, Castrol Super Clean, and acetone on a Bowen Thor bust. I have to say that the Castrol Super Clean worked the best on resin models. The acetone worked good on the Bowen piece. I would HIGHLY recommend wearing some kind of gloves when using the Easy off or Castrol. Chemical burns can and will occur and it will sting like hell for a few days if you get them. I'm curious to know what Batfan soaked his project in overnite that ate it up? I personally don't recommend the overnight method for anything. Usually within an hour you can get most of the paint off. Afterwards make sure you wash it thouroghly to get any left over residue off.

Scott J.
Scott Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote