Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-03-2020, 03:19 AM   #241
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
MCU Spider-Man has very prominent eye "tips" "eyelashes"

As for the comics here are a few:

I appreciate the images and I do see it most pronounced in the last 2 images. I also don't like these styles. The first 2 are different in my eyes but I can see arguments made on both sides.

Maybe it is just a matter of taste. Thanks for sharing!

Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:11 AM   #242
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indomitus View Post
I appreciate the images and I do see it most pronounced in the last 2 images. I also don't like these styles. The first 2 are different in my eyes but I can see arguments made on both sides.

Maybe it is just a matter of taste. Thanks for sharing!

Hey no prob. I agree with you I prefer the design where the eye ends/tapers more naturally as well.

darren1228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #243
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
My problem with Spider-Man is the pose. It looks too similar to the second PF. To me it’s also not a pose you would strike when you are right in front of your enemy.

On the bright side at least it isn’t this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
Spidey's clearly been trained in gymkata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
Gymkata, what a reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
If you've never seen Gymkata you are missing some B-movie hilarity.
What the HELL, 2020?! Stop already! RIP Kurt Thomas.

https://youtu.be/5keiiLMIuuc
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:42 PM   #244
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Wow, we post about the obscure Gymkata film, and a few days later the lead actor dies
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:48 PM   #245
Broxin
Doh!

Hi everyone, I'm new here and also kinda new in the world of Statue collecting, I've always loved statues and finally decided to dive in (a decision I'm probably going to regret lol)
I recently got the sideshow x-23 which I really liked and preordered the new Deadpool PF; now I'm more of an x-men guy myself and that's where I plan to focus my collection on but I'm a big Venom fan so I really want a Venom piece.
But I'm on the fence on this, I mean like the statue, I understand some of the complains I've read about it but I still think it's good piece overall, but the fact that it's 1/5 scale is kind of a bummer, 'cause I don’t plan on getting
other 1/5 statues.… but I don’t wanna miss on it and regret it later so idk . It'd definitely help to see it displayed at a sideshow booth somewhere but who knows when that's gonna happen with everything that's going on right now.

I made a picture to see how it'd look like next to some of the other pieces I'm looking to get and you can definitely tell it's a 1/5 (not sure how reliable those "size comparison" pics on the sideshow site are though), Venom doesn’t
look that bad 'cause he's a big boy but spidey looks tiny. I should definitely display it next to Logan if I get it lol.

Broxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:25 PM   #246
xellos49698
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I'm new to statue collecting myself Broxin, so I can understand your concerns. There are 3 important things to consider when buying statues.

1st, the most important, do I love this piece? Unless, you can say with utmost certainty that this is a must have, you shouldn't buy it. There is always going to be another statue out their somewhere down the road. So buying something you aren't completely satisfied with is a mistake. (The same is true for when you have the statue in hand. Any defects or issues with your statue and back to the warehouse it goes. Never keep a damage statue.)

2nd Can I afford this? The last thing you want to do is commit to a purchase and put yourself in financial jeopardy. Unless you are ridiculous wealthy, you are going to have to pick and choose what you are buying into.
Also, the reselling market is not the same as it was. Unless you are buying a piece with a low Limited Edition, chance are that you will lose money trying to unload a recent purchase.

3rd Where am I going to display this? I know it may seem trivial, but when you are investing hundreds of dollars in a statue, picking a safe spot to put it is very important.

Have fun collecting.)
xellos49698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:54 AM   #247
tonytiger
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broxin View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new here and also kinda new in the world of Statue collecting, I've always loved statues and finally decided to dive in (a decision I'm probably going to regret lol)
I recently got the sideshow x-23 which I really liked and preordered the new Deadpool PF; now I'm more of an x-men guy myself and that's where I plan to focus my collection on but I'm a big Venom fan so I really want a Venom piece.
But I'm on the fence on this, I mean like the statue, I understand some of the complains I've read about it but I still think it's good piece overall, but the fact that it's 1/5 scale is kind of a bummer, 'cause I don’t plan on getting
other 1/5 statues.… but I don’t wanna miss on it and regret it later so idk . It'd definitely help to see it displayed at a sideshow booth somewhere but who knows when that's gonna happen with everything that's going on right now.

I made a picture to see how it'd look like next to some of the other pieces I'm looking to get and you can definitely tell it's a 1/5 (not sure how reliable those "size comparison" pics on the sideshow site are though), Venom doesn’t
look that bad 'cause he's a big boy but spidey looks tiny. I should definitely display it next to Logan if I get it lol.

Hey doesn't have to be 1/4, As long you enjoy the piece and plan to keep it.. I collect mostly 1/4 and love this piece and will never sell it..just saying
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0574.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	131061  
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:27 PM   #248
V4XCollect
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broxin View Post

Welcome to the world of collecting!

Just going to share with you my strategy on statues vs scale and as usual it's all up to you etc etc. Feel free to ignore or borrow as you see fit.

For statutes, I do take a lot of consideration as to where they are placed relative to what is in the room or area. Just as one would with wall art.

If they are part of a set like the X-Men then I ensure they are all the same ratio and ideally all in the same area so one can admire the set together. Or if they are not part of a formal set then there is some kind of theme in the area that logically groups them together.

If they are not part of a set and different scales, then I display them in individual cabinet openings that are at different heights. This is done with custom cabinets which I totally understand is not common, but at least having a separator of some kind allows them to stand on their own. Or in some cases, I'll just put the one-off statue in a completely different area in the house since I don't limit statues to a single room.

One thing I don't do though is mix different statue scales right next to each other or get the same character twice in the same area. A lot of people do, its very common and some are done really well, its just not my style.

So, if I were to get this statue, I would place my X-Men collection in one area and this Venom/Spidey somewhere else entirely like on a desk. Then the scale doesn't matter and its just a statue you really like and can admire whenever you are near it.

Enjoy!
V4XCollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:24 PM   #249
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Great video on how Venom was painted. Quite informative if you ever want to learn some techniques. Love this Venom...wish they had done a vs Carnage instead.

https://youtu.be/MrFbu3FyTc4
darren1228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:06 AM   #250
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Great video on how Venom was painted. Quite informative if you ever want to learn some techniques. Love this Venom...wish they had done a vs Carnage instead.

https://youtu.be/MrFbu3FyTc4
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote