Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Infinity Studios / Gantaku / Queen Studios

Old 04-22-2021, 11:41 PM   #341
The World
Justice League

I can't understand how it's unreasonable to expect something that looks close to what is advertised. Either 100% or at minimum 97%.

Why even advertise? Why is it an accepted norm in this industry that companies can largely deviate from what they show you?
The World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:11 AM   #342
Silas Loki
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The World View Post
I can't understand how it's unreasonable to expect something that looks close to what is advertised. Either 100% or at minimum 97%.

Why even advertise? Why is it an accepted norm in this industry that companies can largely deviate from what they show you?
We used to call it "bait and switch"....the company rolls out a prototype made from who knows what, and painted by the hands of God, all to get those pre orders. They have that little bit of small print in their advertising "final piece may be different to the product shown"....or words to that effect.

Hence, bait and switch.

I agree with Nearmint - for the money they're asking, they need to make sure this is on point.....I'm just afraid they won't. They already calculated with a % getting broke, or being returned for "reasons"......so for Queen, it's just business as usual.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:43 AM   #343
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:

Unfortunately it’s because we’ve gotten used to it.

Just look at Sideshow.

Heck many here still love their most recent comic Wonder Woman piece, and defend it even though the paint on the face sculpt is not even close to how great the prototype was.

I’ll admit that if it wasn’t for the prototype, it’s a solid piece, but once you compare it to the prototype it’s like night and day.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:45 AM   #344
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
We used to call it "bait and switch"....the company rolls out a prototype made from who knows what, and painted by the hands of God, all to get those pre orders. They have that little bit of small print in their advertising "final piece may be different to the product shown"....or words to that effect.

Hence, bait and switch.

I agree with Nearmint - for the money they're asking, they need to make sure this is on point.....I'm just afraid they won't. They already calculated with a % getting broke, or being returned for "reasons"......so for Queen, it's just business as usual.
I’m just wondering how easy it is to return items that aren’t local and going back to a place like Sideshow.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:33 AM   #345
Silas Loki
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I’m just wondering how easy it is to return items that aren’t local and going back to a place like Sideshow.
Discounting time and effort, everything is possible - but in reality, "most" people suck it up. It's often easier to conduct a fix yourself (repaint googly eyes) then go through the returns process. Breakages are a bit easier, as you show evidence of the broken piece and they send you a replacement part.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:52 AM   #346
chronos1919
Nightwing

Quote:

I don't think it's happily accepted it's just something that's understandable given how these items are produced. The production runs are modeled after a singular piece that was crafted and painted by master artists. If you want proto quality you're going to have to start paying big bucks for original pieces or having these statues repainted by a skilled painter.

It's not really unique to this industry either. Marketing of pretty much every product imaginable exaggerates the quality of the product, with consumers receiving something inferior. Look at the images of food McDonald's advertises vs what's in the bag when you order. Or the tailored clothing that airbrushed models wear in ads vs what's sold in retail stores.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #347
nearmint
Phoenix

But it's the likeness to Gal Gadot that sold this piece. It's the only reason many of us are spending 50% more than we normally would for a 1/4 scale piece. If that's lost in the production piece, collector's will be very unhappy.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:53 PM   #348
The World
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post

Hence, bait and switch.

Bait and switch is essentially what it is, but it seems like people have conditioned their own selves into accepting less (mediocrity) for more and more money paid out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronos1919 View Post
I don't think it's happily accepted it's just something that's understandable given how these items are produced. The production runs are modeled after a singular piece that was crafted and painted by master artists. If you want proto quality you're going to have to start paying big bucks for original pieces or having these statues repainted by a skilled painter.

It's not really unique to this industry either. Marketing of pretty much every product imaginable exaggerates the quality of the product, with consumers receiving something inferior. Look at the images of food McDonald's advertises vs what's in the bag when you order. Or the tailored clothing that airbrushed models wear in ads vs what's sold in retail stores.
The issue is that it seems that people do actually accept this behavior. I don't think it's an excuse that one painter paints a piece a certain way, so other people can't.

That's the point of having trained workers that can replicate those results. If one person can do it, I'm sure others can. And as much as I don't buy this whole stance that master painters are a level unreachable for others...if factory workers can't reach those results maybe don't advertise that?

And it feels like the goal posts get moved every time when companies don't deliver what they're advertising.

- The statue is $500, you can't expect proto quality.

- The statue is $1000, you can't expect proto quality.

- The statue is $1500, you can't expect proto quality.

- The statue is $2000, you can't expect proto quality.

When do the excuses end for expecting what companies sell to us? When will they be held accountable?
The World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:25 PM   #349
pdenham
Teen Titans

If this were limited to several hundred pieces, and they produced and shipped out in small batches of 25 to 50 at a time, over the course of 12 months or so, I'd say the price was indicative of the extra time and TLC required to get as close to the prototype as humanely possible.

Thousands of these? In addition to the dozen other statues they'll be producing in the same time period? Good luck. I hope sincerely hope the experience is a positive one ultimately.

The best scenario here is that people will be getting what they paid for. But what they paid was already a high premium over commensurate product.
That seems to me to leave very little wiggle room for satisfaction.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 03:43 AM   #350
Asgard
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
But it's the likeness to Gal Gadot that sold this piece. It's the only reason many of us are spending 50% more than we normally would for a 1/4 scale piece.
I would pay the 50% more if I could see the Gal Gadot portrait free.
I would love to have a Gal Gadot Wonder Woman and the portrait looks amazingly good.
But when there's so much money involved, I don't compromise anymore. I have to like the figure 100% and that's not the case here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
If that's lost in the production piece, collector's will be very unhappy.
I think that would also "damage" the reputation of QS.
Asgard is online now   Reply With Quote