Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > First4Figures / Gaming Heads

Old 04-23-2018, 03:07 PM   #301
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Prime 1 is a heavy hitter, but it isn't just them. Out of nowhere we went from just having Art of War to every company grabbing the Berserk license and all intending to release a Guts. This statue is cool, but it isn't going to be his finest statue and so I think it will just be swept away by the competition, as with most of the other statues. I imagine the Berserk license grab will collectively be a pretty big dud (for other companies) because Prime 1 is just going to be so difficult to top.

I think companies had a better chance going with the Berserker armor. Prime 1's statue for that is very reserved, but you couldn't definitely do an insanely aggressive sculpt of it. Could also do a non helmeted Berserker armor with Guts in control.
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:22 PM   #302
HiTMAN
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemerz View Post
from the newsletter:

"Because 1,000 pieces weren't sold during the initial 2-week pre-order period, pre-orders will remain open until before production starts. As of 20 April 2018, there have been just under 570 pre-orders."
Thanks for the update.
HiTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #303
qz33
Rescue

Expecting to sell 1000 of these in 2 weeks was never gonna happen.

Companies gotta learn that if someone else has it you should stay away. This competition for the same licenses is just fragmenting the market.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:17 AM   #304
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Expecting to sell 1000 of these in 2 weeks was never gonna happen.

Companies gotta learn that if someone else has it you should stay away. This competition for the same licenses is just fragmenting the market.
Wish somebody could get through to the morons on facebook constantly company hopping asking for all the same licenses. It gets so old. I know F4F wont go after licenses now that others have. They shot down Trigun for that reason. Speaking of which-

I dont get why F4F is needing the crazy high numbers. Figurama sells 400 Trigun pieces at $750 a pop for $300,000 gross and its a huge success. Level 52 sells 100 Catgirls and reaches their target of $65,000. ARH sells 100 Death Dealers and nearly bankrupts. Mugen sells 575 total for about $260,000 gross and he’s considered a failure. Now Guts has sold roughly 600 units for a guesstimate of $360,000ish and he’s considered mediocre. I get that F4F is the bigger company with more expenses but they also have 40 some licenses and put out way more product. I’m no expert and I know I dont have the whole picture but I still have trouble wrapping my head around it.
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:17 AM   #305
Vendetta
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
Prime 1 is a heavy hitter, but it isn't just them. Out of nowhere we went from just having Art of War to every company grabbing the Berserk license and all intending to release a Guts. This statue is cool, but it isn't going to be his finest statue and so I think it will just be swept away by the competition, as with most of the other statues. I imagine the Berserk license grab will collectively be a pretty big dud (for other companies) because Prime 1 is just going to be so difficult to top.

I think companies had a better chance going with the Berserker armor. Prime 1's statue for that is very reserved, but you couldn't definitely do an insanely aggressive sculpt of it. Could also do a non helmeted Berserker armor with Guts in control.
They could have potentially leapfrogged Prime 1 if they started with the Berserker Armor version, but hindsight is 20/20, I realize.

I think the real opportunity for F4F with Berserk is Skull Knight and perhaps a smaller-scale Apostle Zodd. Prime 1 is going to price plenty of people out with those two.

Beyond that my initial reaction is that 570 Ex orders doesn't actually sound that horrible, but it's hard to know how to really evaluate it without knowing more details; I do constantly see ads for Guts on Facebook, so maybe they spent quite a bit on advertising.

Some thoughts:

- The Ex base's design is a bit polarizing, meaning there may be a higher % of regular-edition orders with this one
- The Ex seems expensive for a F4F product, maybe more than what their base is used to / comfortable with
- It's the second premium-statue Guts to go up for preorder in the past 1-2 years
- 570 isn't a HUGE ways off from the ES of the Prime 1 Guts Ex (750), which didn't sell out on Prime 1's site until very recently
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:39 AM   #306
Gannon
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlySamurai View Post
Wish somebody could get through to the morons on facebook constantly company hopping asking for all the same licenses. It gets so old. I know F4F wont go after licenses now that others have. They shot down Trigun for that reason. Speaking of which-

I dont get why F4F is needing the crazy high numbers. Figurama sells 400 Trigun pieces at $750 a pop for $300,000 gross and its a huge success. Level 52 sells 100 Catgirls and reaches their target of $65,000. ARH sells 100 Death Dealers and nearly bankrupts. Mugen sells 575 total for about $260,000 gross and he’s considered a failure. Now Guts has sold roughly 600 units for a guesstimate of $360,000ish and he’s considered mediocre. I get that F4F is the bigger company with more expenses but they also have 40 some licenses and put out way more product. I’m no expert and I know I dont have the whole picture but I still have trouble wrapping my head around it.
I think it's the age old expression of turn over is vanity. Profit is sanity. Turn over means nothing if the margins are low. We just dont have the bigger picture.
Gannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:46 AM   #307
daemerz
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

over saturation isn't helping them either. In a day and age where you can get most pieces cheaper in the aftermarket people tend to wait and get it at a later date.
daemerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:11 AM   #308
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

I think F4F pays a lot more on advertising than the other companies do. I saw ads for Guts on quite a few websites.
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:46 AM   #309
I and I
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Location: This couple lives in Sint-Maria-Latem (Zwalm - Belgium)
It's not just advertising but I wager that the license itself isn't cheap either. Also, yes it sucks that there are currently multiple Guts on preorder/order but since these statues take years to go from initial design to approved prototype, it's hard to see what other companies are up to.
If we did anime, and were into Berserk, I'd buy the F4F one. I just don't like the busy bases Prime pumps out (and not to mention the price tag )
I and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:23 AM   #310
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
570 isn't a HUGE ways off from the ES of the Prime 1 Guts Ex (750), which didn't sell out on Prime 1's site until very recently
570 is combined ex and reg. Its not a ton but they are a smaller company and second to market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
I think F4F pays a lot more on advertising than the other companies do. I saw ads for Guts on quite a few websites.
May be true. But then Figurama being as small as they are had a pretty huge booth at WF. Looked like a 20x20 to display 4 pieces. F4F looked like a 10x20 at NYCC in the back and they arent doing it or big shows again because of cost.

The only thing I can think is maybe they are just getting crappy license deals. What comes to mind is Level52 only needing to sell 100 pieces vs ARH needing to sell 500 of Frazetta. Seems like the license deals arent the same company to company. I dunno.
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote