Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #661
ambasah
Red Skull

I believe duty is different then taxes (pst/gst). you will still get hit with those.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:42 PM   #662
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambasah View Post
I believe duty is different then taxes (pst/gst). you will still get hit with those.
Yeah - but every bit helps

(* not that this stuff is EVER applied consistently *)

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:56 PM   #663
tworow2
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambasah View Post
They also rose the tax-free amount from $20 to $40.

So $40 and under should cost you nothing extra, ever.

$40.01 to $150 can cost you taxes only, via the ‘random’ selection we’re used to.

$150 and up, same as before.
tworow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:40 PM   #664
rxj71
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Well, it's not like the $150 will be applied tomorrow - it will apply when the agreement is signed by everyone so that's going to be probably sometime next year.

On top of that, I read an article a couple of days ago mentioning that the $150 exemption applies only if you ship through courier, and not if you ship stuff coming in through CanadaPost. The reason behind that is that through courier, you also get to pay brokerage fees so they're hoping people will avoid that so they're not losing much. I wish I can find the article...
rxj71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #665
kingdavidf
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Hey guys, I am selling a statue to someone in canada and i was curious what harmonized code to use with UPS to save the person on duties etc. I see 9503.00.90.59 floating around is this correct or should i be using 9703.00.00.00

Also any particular wording is should use or stay away from on the commercial invoice.
kingdavidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:24 PM   #666
ambasah
Red Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdavidf View Post
Hey guys, I am selling a statue to someone in canada and i was curious what harmonized code to use with UPS to save the person on duties etc. I see 9503.00.90.59 floating around is this correct or should i be using 9703.00.00.00

Also any particular wording is should use or stay away from on the commercial invoice.
Call it a superhero toy. Use the code for toys. Your buyer will be grateful.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #667
Phazed
The Spirit

A bit off topic, but what are the disadvantages for shipping via DHL compared to FedEx for Canadian shipping. I have a package from Sideshow due to be shipped, but due to the size of the boxes, Sideshow told me it could only be shipped by DHL even though I have FedEx as my preferred method of shipping. Are there more taxes incurred?
Phazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #668
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazed View Post
A bit off topic, but what are the disadvantages for shipping via DHL compared to FedEx for Canadian shipping. I have a package from Sideshow due to be shipped, but due to the size of the boxes, Sideshow told me it could only be shipped by DHL even though I have FedEx as my preferred method of shipping. Are there more taxes incurred?
The only real difference is that DHL charges a 10$ processing fee. If you have a FedEx account, you would be exempt from this charge. I also believe (I may be wrong) that DHL asks for all fees in advance of receiving your shipment. If you have a FedEx account, you are charged at the end of the billing cycle.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #669
Pwesty
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazed View Post
I received DD from SS in April and DHL charged me $164 cdn for duty! I live in Port Moody B.C,
Pwesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:36 PM   #670
Phazed
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
The only real difference is that DHL charges a 10$ processing fee. If you have a FedEx account, you would be exempt from this charge. I also believe (I may be wrong) that DHL asks for all fees in advance of receiving your shipment. If you have a FedEx account, you are charged at the end of the billing cycle.
Okay thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwesty View Post
I received DD from SS in April and DHL charged me $164 cdn for duty! I live in Port Moody B.C,
Wow, that's like 20% of fees of the statue value. Hm, not sure if I should keep my order, considering that the statue I'm supposed to be getting is $999 US
Phazed is offline   Reply With Quote