Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 07-14-2016, 08:20 AM   #31
dechirico7
The Flash

Just got Danger Girl by J Scott Campbell. Great book. Better paper than the Zenescope books. No, stupid pattern pages. If Zenoscope continues to put those in their books, I wont get them anymore. It has perforated pages. Large images on one side of the page and small on the other. There is a 2.5 page pull out in the back. Really great book if you love the Danger Girl series. I wish he would do one on his fairytale prints.

I didn't snag the Marvel by scottie young book yet. It is in my list.

I will be doing reviews of these books in my upcoming blog.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:26 AM   #32
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Zenescope is releasing a Grimm Fairy Tales box set:

https://www.amazon.com/Grimm-Fairy-T...coloring+books

Its set for release on August 20th and is $34.99. Here is the description taken direction from Amazon:

DC also has a new one coming called "Harley Quinn & the Suicide Squad". There is no picture for the cover yet, but they do have this picture currently up on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Harley-Quinn-...coloring+books

The MSRP is $15.99 and its currently on pre-order for $13.36. Its releasing on August 9th. It looks like August is going to be a really big month for comic related adult coloring books.
They have Supergirl too.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/14012...9S4QP5D694XPPW
Old 07-14-2016, 08:29 AM   #33
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I have that animorphia one, it looks pretty good from having a flick through. I enjoy drawing, but haven't done much at all for years now so I grabbed that just to have a play around. I do need some better coloured pencils mind so I can blend etc..

It received some negative feedback for the unfinished drawings (the idea being that you finish them) but I like that personally and there are plenty more books to choose from for those that don't..
The Animorphia is a real battle with me. The paper quality on the US version is the worst. Literally, the worst coloring book I have when it comes to the paper. It really is too bad, since the art is so great. Due to the quality, I refuse to buy their second book, imagimorphia. I waited so long for the first one, I was so disappointed with it.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:30 AM   #34
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

It looks like Aspen is now getting into the Adult coloring book game. They will be releasing 2 coloring books for the SDCC, one for Fathom and one for Soulfire.

There going to be $20 each, which is pretty much right in line with Aspen's products being about 30-50% overpriced. And as much as I would like to buy these, my days of buying from Aspen have come and gone. Should be nice for any Michael Turner fans out there tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
Yeah, here is a pic for those interested:

OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:42 PM   #35
dechirico7
The Flash

$20 is ridiculous. They can keep them for that.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:51 PM   #36
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

OK so for Indie Book Store USA, Neil Gaiman released a colouring book that you could only purchase as a few Indie book stores and through a group I am in on FB that is to do with his wifey, I managed to snag one. Here is my review of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA5WsSlV4sA
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #37
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
$20 is ridiculous. They can keep them for that.
You can say that again!! Then again, its Aspen and I wasn't joking when I said thier prices are generally 30%-50% too high. The last 3 SDCC's, they were selling soft cover sketchbooks, and really small one's at that (usually less than 50 pages), which were roughly 40% more than the hardcover offerings by other artists like J Scott Campbell.

I remember back in 2013, I was able to buy all 4 of J Scott Campbell's hardcover art books (Blue Beauties, White Hot, Code Orange, & Monster Green) for like $40-$50 less than it cost me to buy Aspen's 3 soft cover sketchbooks (The Early Years, The Heroic Years & The Marvelous Years). And to make it even worse Aspen's books were much smaller than Campbell' and all of Campbell's books were signed by Campbell and Asens books were unsigned.

Thier Art of Aspen Vol.1 and Vol.2 art books were both softcover and were $29.99 and they only had 48 pages. I buy hard cover artbooks from Amazon all the time that have 200-250+ pages that are cheaper than $25-$30. J. Scott Campbell's newest hard cover book entitled "Time Capsule 1994-2004 Retrospective" is 300 pages and is only $50. Thats 6 times larger than Aspens art books, yet its only $20 more.

Pretty much everywhere you look, Aspen's prices are significantly higher than similar offerings from other comic companies. Thier prints are $59.99 now, yet people who sell them on eBay are lucky to get $20. Its no secret that I am not a fan of Aspen, but I am being completely unbiased when I say that Aspen's pricing is at least 30%-50% too high. There was a guy just a few weeks back that wound up selling like 60-70 Aspen prints on eBay and they sold for incredibly low prices. Many sold for as low as $13 piece.

Here is the link to his completed auctions if you want to check out just how low they sold for:

http://www.ebay.com/csc/azkard/m.htm..._sop=13&_rdc=1

Its just so sad what has become of Aspen's print market.

On a more positive note, it looks like were getting a Flash coloring book from Francis Manapul. There is no picture of the cover yet, but here is the pic that is listed along with the link on Midtown Comics.

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=1561969

Were also getting a Bobs Burgers Adult coloring book as well:

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/d...COLORI_1561963
Old 07-16-2016, 06:58 PM   #38
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
OK so for Indie Book Store USA, Neil Gaiman released a colouring book that you could only purchase as a few Indie book stores and through a group I am in on FB that is to do with his wifey, I managed to snag one. Here is my review of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA5WsSlV4sA
Very cool. I love the illustrations, but the pages with type....eh

OC, I remember when Aspen prints were popular. Luckily, I only bought one at the time. I think the problem was the insane amount of variants. I am going to be listing all my prints for sale soon. I was never much of a print collector, just had a friend that was into them. I love coloring books though. They are cheap and provide hours of fun. But I can't justify $20 for one. I can't see them selling out.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #39
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
I have vol. 1 and love it. I am waiting for a combined haul before i get vol. 2. Yes, they are a bit pricey, but he has plenty of awesome designs in them. I am actually starting to dislike thick books. They just get tedious to color in. I like the smaller volumes. Less weight. I actually scan pieces out of that book and print them on thicker stock. Plus, I want to try different color schemes with every design. Here are two I am working on....all done with Crayolas. I am going to try a few of the above pencils.

Beautifully rendered!
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:46 AM   #40
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Aspen actually raised the price to $24.99 for the coloring books.

MICHAEL TURNER'S SOULFIRE COLORING BOOK # 1 SDCC 2016 EXCLUSIVE

MICHAEL TURNER'S FATHOM COLORING BOOK # 1 SDCC 2016 EXCLUSIVE

$25 coloring books, lol. Aspen has definitely becomes one of the worst comic companies in regards to their pricing. Thats roughly 50% than the coloring books from Zenescope, Marvel and DC.