Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 01-10-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Arrow Bullseye Review of Phased Vision

Phased Vision Sculpt –Randy Bowen & Shiflett Brothers

Brief History: Assembled at the direction of Ultron, the Vision is an android who mimics virtually every organic function of a human being, including independent thought. Seeking vengeance against the Avengers, Ultron programmed the Vision's neural processors with the brain patterns of Wonder Man, and implanted special synthesized cells permitting him to alter his mass and solidity. Ultron then dispatched the Vision to draw the Avengers into a death trap. Moved by the team's plight though, the Vision overrode his mission parameters and helped the heroes defeat his creator. The Vision served the Avengers faithfully for years, all the while seeking to transcend his original programming as a vehicle of vengeance and become fully "human." Destroyed by his estranged wife, the Scarlet Witch, during the Avengers Disassembled event, The Vision is reborn as we remember him best: a cold, regal presence for good! Standing over 12" tall, The Vision stands with hand raised in a pose similar to his classic pose from the cover of Avengers Vol. 1 #57! For much more information on the Vision try –

http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/v/vision.htm

Sculpt: Vision is the one of three full-size sculpts from this phase, which has been co-sculpted by the as always excellent Shiflett Brothers and Randy Bowen. It is based on the famous artwork of Avengers #57. There are two variants of the sculpt the ‘Fully painted’ and the more limited ‘Phased’. The sculpt is a more refined anatomy than you would expect from the Shiflett’s who are better know for hugely muscular sculpts like the Hulk, Juggernaut and Thanos. For this reason it is probably the most interesting one that they have produced to date. The anatomy of the legs, torso and arms are all excellent. From the rear the cape is excellently sculpted around the body. The base is a simple design with a circuit diagram engraved into the top surface.

Paint Application: The problems which occurred on the Thanos sculpt do not seem to have occurred into this release. The paintwork on my Vision is excellent with the phasing on the legs and cape cleverly produced. This type of painting appears to be difficult to achieve and the factory in this instance have produced a good product.

Critique: Not a lot wrong with this one except for the very annoying stabilising peg which holds the sculpt onto the base. It is clearly visible on the Vision’s right foot. While this doesn’t really bother me all that much I know a lot of collectors would be turning in the beds unable to sleep .

Conclusion: The Vision is a fantastic sculpt with a good paint application. If you can get over the ‘Peg’ you will have in your collection one of the most stylish and regal sculpts from Phase 2.

Last edited by d rod; 01-12-2006 at 04:09 PM.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:38 PM   #2
bat_collector
Galactus

Umm, mine had a terrible paint job! good review bullseye.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector
Umm, mine had a terrible paint job! good review bullseye.
Sorry to hear that Bats but mine was genuinely very good. As i said the peg is the biggest issue on this one.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

I don't know if this the appropriate place for this type of comment, but I continue to feel that the phasing effect should have been accomplished a little differently. The unpainted clear resin technique used here is reminiscent of what was done for the Invisible Girl FS.

When the Vison phases he may become marginally translucent, he does not completely lose his colors or become totally transparent.

I wish this effect could have been brought to the statue and was the principle reason why the phasing variant did not appeal to me.

Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:52 AM   #5
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana P.
Another great review Bullseye!
Cheers Dana.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:53 AM   #6
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton
I don't know if this the appropriate place for this type of comment, but I continue to feel that the phasing effect should have been accomplished a little differently. The unpainted clear resin technique used here is reminiscent of what was done for the Invisible Girl FS.

When the Vison phases he may become marginally translucent, he does not completely lose his colors or become totally transparent.

I wish this effect could have been brought to the statue and was the principle reason why the phasing variant did not appeal to me.

I think it was always going to be difficult to get this effect.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:30 PM   #7
daveyyojimbo
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

Great review! The history part was a very nice summation. I agree with the critique in that the peg is annoying but not to the point of losing sleep!
daveyyojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:45 PM   #8
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyyojimbo
Great review! The history part was a very nice summation. I agree with the critique in that the peg is annoying but not to the point of losing sleep!
But there are some anal collectors on here. I think a little history of the character is no harm. Thanks for the feedback. I hope to get better with the reviews with every sculpt.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:24 PM   #9
Kirk Durfey
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye
But there are some anal collectors on here. I think a little history of the character is no harm. Thanks for the feedback. I hope to get better with the reviews with every sculpt.
Thats why I didn't get the phasing one - It would have bugged the hell out of me I do plan on getting the fully painted one...
Another good review, Bullseye.
Kirk Durfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:28 PM   #10
Ish
Kindly Asked To Leave

Bullseye Review of Phased Vision

Who the heck is Bullseye?!?
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote