Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > CKinSD Conventions

Old 04-19-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
ALEX23
The Avengers

Awesome Con May 29th-31st! Washington D.C.

http://www.awesome-con.com/

My girlfriend and myself plan on making the about 6 hour drive from NY to attend. Anyone else here planning to go? Looks like a great show!
ALEX23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #2
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Hmmm, this looks pretty cool. I just let the wife know about it since Karren Gillian is going to be there and she is a massive Dr.Who fan. Will see if she can get off work to be able to go before getting tickets.

So what kind of con is it though, I was not able to see much on their site, and they don't have panels and stuff listed yet.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #3
protector2814
Phoenix

I went the 1st year (2 years back) & started a thread buried somewhere here on it. It was a good, solid con w/ more emphasis on comics than pop-culture which I appreciated. I've heard that they moved into the larger space at the DC conv. center so that's good news. Then needed more space. I'm going this year. It's a few subway stops from my home. Will be taking my son & will be buying bronze.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #4
Sharkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I went the 1st year (2 years back) & started a thread buried somewhere here on it. It was a good, solid con w/ more emphasis on comics than pop-culture which I appreciated. I've heard that they moved into the larger space at the DC conv. center so that's good news. Then needed more space. I'm going this year. It's a few subway stops from my home. Will be taking my son & will be buying bronze.
Buying bronze?

And yea I'll be taking the red to yellow line to get there. Or is there any real parking nearby? If me and the wife go, we are kinda leaning on only going Friday to get the full photo op with the Pond Family Reunion.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:38 PM   #5
ALEX23
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Yeah, the dealers room is were my heart is when it comes to these shows! Based on the pictures I saw of last years show it looked like it was a pretty good sized room. My girlfriend is a big Buffy fan so shes looking forward to meeting those actors!
Old 04-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #6
Sharkey

What kind of stuff is sold in the dealers room mainly? Comics, statues, dvds?
Old 04-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #7
MMBORNAGAIN
The Spirit

Hoping Ill be working this con!
MMBORNAGAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:12 PM   #8
MMBORNAGAIN
The Spirit

is the lineup good?
MMBORNAGAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:25 PM   #9
ALEX23
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
What kind of stuff is sold in the dealers room mainly? Comics, statues, dvds?
Maybe protector2814 could tell you more as I've only seen pictures, but it looks like the usual comics, toys statues prints etc.. This will be our first time attending and I have a good feeling about it!
Old 04-22-2015, 01:10 PM   #10
protector2814
Phoenix

By "Buying Bronze" I meant I'll be purchasing Bronze-Age Comics to fill in some holes in my collection.

The Dealers Room, as I recall, was a standard mid-sized con type collection of dealers. Tons of back-issue dealers but also plenty of toy tables too. I don't remember seeing too many statue dealers, I would have remembered that. There were also old gamers tables with plenty of Nintendo, Gemeboy, etc ... type stuff. I also remember seeing a few tables devoted to Rollplaying/D&D figures, I pickes up several for my kid's collection. There were a few Warren & Curtis, B&W 70's mag-comic dealers, & some cosplay/fake weapon tables too.
In it's first year, the dealer's room was way too tight w/ too many people crowding everything, but I've heard that they've fixed that. I sometimes go the the lcs that sponsors the con, a place called Third-Eye & the staff there has assured me that there's now plenty of room & even more dealers. DC has a lot of comic fans, & up until this Awesome Con and & few smaller, fire-station type cons, we've only had Baltimore to go to. This is a fun one. I usually go on Sundays (to this & B-more), on account that the crowds sem to be smaller.

Still not a fan of the name. Wish it was more comic-themed. Sounds like a 13 year old came up with it.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote