Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > From our Bench

Old 08-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #31
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

Wrossi - dude I understand your frustration but you must understand there are changes coming. will everyone like them............... hmmm nope!

but because of a few we are having to lump everything into a big box and start over with clear definition of the rules and new sections.

if you feel that with your 200 some odd posts, having only been here a year, that we the dictators are infringing on your rights to artistically show what you think you should show then perhaps this will not be a place for you to show your paints. I am not banning you just letting you know.

New rules have to be done and enforced. Both the old painters corner and sculptors corner had many folks breaking the rules regularly. This is why both sections are being re-done.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #32
GedTasker
Home Grown Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppula View Post
I'm a sculptor who's never posted a thread in Sculptors Corner. I was working on a few pieces I wanted to get critiques on.

Frankly, the idea of creating a thread in this climate is scary. I probably won't bother until this cools out big time.

Really too bad it's come to this. And that library of old sculpts locked away from the world nearly brings a tear to my eye.

It's like a library of knowledge has vanished.

Thats what is really killing me about this situation!!
GedTasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #33
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

WR: I'm not going to ban you because you disagree with me. I would ban you if you broke my rules or felt that you were being disrespectful. I could debate you but in the end it probably won't change your opinion. But, for you or anyone to be upset at me for the changes that have to be made, that's pretty selfish.
Myself, along with others, have worked hard on this site. We don't force anyone to join and don't really ask for that much considering what you get in return.

If one can display just a single piece of work here, one should be grateful. Grateful because someone is providing them a portal for an opportunity to grow. The amount of people that have been able to make some type of income, hobby or career via this portal that we have provided is pretty good. Thankfully, many of those are still here trying to give back and help young artists.

I'm not asking anyone to like or throw a pep rally about the rule changes. I'm just asking to play by them. If anyone feels that it's not worth their time to display or view, that is their choice as well. If anyone feels that they truly cannot portray their artistic ability if they cannot freely show every canvas that is tossed in front of them, maybe one underestimates the viewers.

If we didn't love the art, do you really think we would be spending all this time in making and maintaining this forum? Do you think I randomly choose a section to mess with because I have the power to do so and want to exercise my dictatorship abilities? How long do you really think this forum would last if I allow everyone to display whatever they want, anywhere they want in the name of art and freedom of expression? After a team of lawyers shut me down then what? You go to the next site and do the same?

If you want to rally some troops and go to DC or Marvel's office to demand more rights, I'll give you an address and even a phone number. I'm just asking you not to do it here. Considering that 10 years ago you didn't see all these artists, manufacturers and property owners hang out some much and so often in the same place, I'm pretty happy at what we have so far even if it's controlled.
d rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #34
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppula View Post
I'm a sculptor who's never posted a thread in Sculptors Corner. I was working on a few pieces I wanted to get critiques on.

Frankly, the idea of creating a thread in this climate is scary. I probably won't bother until this cools out big time.

Really too bad it's come to this. And that library of old sculpts locked away from the world nearly brings a tear to my eye.

It's like a library of knowledge has vanished.
dude we mods agree with you. that section has a ton of incredible information and work in there for sure. the ability to learn is astounding. the problem is though the size of that section and how long it has been around. It would take 5 people working full time months to go through everything to "sanitize" it in order to not upset major companies.

when we restart in this new section, all sculptors are free to repost old works that they are proud of. These must be 1 of 1 items or original pieces and follow the rules.

we want to make it a place for sculptors not commissioners of work. many sculptors in the industry have gotten jobs from the works they have shown on this site
Old 08-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #35
Boondog
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
Sculptor

Can we at least out the guy who blew the whistle, I know it was those few abusers of privilege who are directly to blame, but whoever ran their mouth to the companies ruined quite a lot more than those few's routine. My SF threads were all very high as far as how google-able they were, and I've played by the rules as long as I've been here, now that's all 'Poof' dust in the wind because of a whistleblower, so I wanna know who cut the cheese, and if I can't know that, I'd at least like to know that they are gone as well. Rule breaking or not, coming to a statue site and complaining about seeing kits is like moving in next to a concert hall and filing a noise complaint, it's a dick move now matter how to look at it.

And in earnest, I understand what you mods are going through, I truly do, but why does this keep happening to you guys? There's plenty of other statue/kit forum sites that discuss kits more openly (not naming names, but we're none of us idiots), and even have adspace for Sideshow, DC, and various other companies, so why does the hammer always seem to come down so much harder here?
Boondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #36
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondog View Post
Can we at least out the guy who blew the whistle, I know it was those few abusers of privilege who are directly to blame, but whoever ran their mouth to the companies ruined quite a lot more than those few's routine. My SF threads were all very high as far as how google-able they were, and I've played by the rules as long as I've been here, now that's all 'Poof' dust in the wind because of a whistleblower, so I wanna know who cut the cheese, and if I can't know that, I'd at least like to know that they are gone as well. Rule breaking or not, coming to a statue site and complaining about seeing kits is like moving in next to a concert hall and filing a noise complaint, it's a dick move now matter how to look at it.

And in earnest, I understand what you mods are going through, I truly do, but why does this keep happening to you guys? There's plenty of other statue/kit forum sites that discuss kits more openly (not naming names, but we're none of us idiots), and even have adspace for Sideshow, DC, and various other companies, so why does the hammer always seem to come down so much harder here?
We don't know who blew the whistle. And being the largest and most well known forum brings with it the most attention. it does seem hypocritical as there are facebook pages (and obviously other forums) that hype kits more than we do. We do our best to patrol the forum, but look at the number of threads, posts, and members and you can see why we don't catch them all.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #37
Boondog
Sculptor

That's a bummer, I thought I had read in the first posting about the SC going missing that the person was known.

Just to make sure I'm getting this right: from my end, if I get a client who privately intends on kitting the piece once received, I will still be able to display the prototype in any stage of WIP to completion, so long as there is no mention, hints, fishing, links, or insinuations to the piece being any more than a one-off, is that right? I'm not responsible for what happens with the piece once it's out of my hands, but I am responsible for how it is discussed in any thread I author.

I say, "This is 'blank', my latest commission for 'blank'" And then proceed to simply talk about the creative process. That's Kool and the Gang, yes?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #38
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

Boondog: We encourage you to display original, one of a kind sculpts. If you sell your work, what they do with it is their responsibility. You are creating a one of a kind sculpt without any intent of producing it. I'm guessing that's no different than Logitech having to worry if buyers are using their keyboards as weapons. They create the keyboard so you can type online as you create a sculpt so it can be displayed.
d rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #39
Boondog
Sculptor

Also, I'd like to hear what you guys think about this as well, as it may be arduous to repost even recent threads verbatim, maybe as a way of re-inducting the forum, various sculptors populating the site should start with a sort of war journal thread, a quick 'best of' summary of the stuff they may have lost in the cull. Then at their leisure they could add to it or start newer threads as newer pieces come. This way not all is lost, but the first week of the forum isn't barebones from fear or flooded with masses of re-threads
Old 08-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #40
Boondog
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by d rod View Post
Boondog: We encourage you to display original, one of a kind sculpts. If you sell your work, what they do with it is their responsibility. You are creating a one of a kind sculpt without any intent of producing it. I'm guessing that's no different than Logitech having to worry if buyers are using their keyboards as weapons. They create the keyboard so you can type online as you create a sculpt so it can be displayed.
That's all I needed to hear, thanks d rod