Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 08-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
stormriders
Justice League

should i paint it myself or hire a painter

here is my dilema. these 3 unpainted statues are my holy grail.
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...statues004.jpg
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...statues005.jpg
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...statues001.jpg
i want them painted but do not want to send them thru the mail, fear of breakage. i found a painter in town who paints model airoplanes and model cars, but never have paint statues but have been painting over 15 years. i don't know how good he will be. How much of a difference is painting statues and model airoplanes and cars. he use air brush.
2nd question, i was debating to do it myself but use regular brush instead, how hard is it not to leave brush strokes. Does primer come in a aerosol spray can? is acrylic paint the one i should use. should i just go for it .
stormriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

well if youre gonna do it yourself practice on something smaller thats what i did way back when
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #3
misanthrope
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

i say just go for it. there are tons of helpful hints and professional advice in the painters corner. i agree with boondocks in that you should practice before you paint the higher end kits. when i started painting my own kits i started with the least intricate piece i could find. the 3rd pic you posted would be a great stat for a first time attempt cause it dosnt appear to have an excessive amount of fine detail. you may be surprised at how quickly you learn once you do-it-yourself. the only drawback i see to painting your own stuff is it opens up a whole new world of stat buying opportunities. i hardly ever buy pre-paints anymore.
misanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:30 PM   #4
High Lord Apocalypse
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

if you've never done it before then i too say, buy a cheaper kit, practice and hold off on painting those till you feel confident.
btw who sculpted those? those are amazing especially the hair and clothing folds!!!!! where did you get those kits?

primer comes in aersol cans. thats the easy part. not leaving brush strokes is so hard. get an airbrush it'll change your life. trust me if i can do it anyone can.(i'm no danno but i'm starting to hold my own).
if you get an airbrush and need help, feel free to pm me. i had to do all that not too long ago.
High Lord Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:51 PM   #5
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

If these are your grail pieces, hire a painter based on previous examples of their work.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:35 PM   #6
moon_knight1971
Rescue

I agree with Tony & Boony, you can do it yourself but you'll have to practice on other kits to get there. IF you plan to buy more kits this is the way to go BUT if you only collect unpainted statues rarely then it might be cheaper to hire a professional painter. Good luck!
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:44 PM   #7
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
If these are your grail pieces, hire a painter based on previous examples of their work.
This is easily your best bet. If these are grail pieces you won't be happy with a substandard job. I would also look into packing them and shipping them out to a top flight painter ... it would be worth it to me and bring these pieces to life.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:58 PM   #8
stormriders
Justice League

the mold is from hong kong. these are original molds sold like 15 years ago. gotta love the information age. i had to get someone in hong kong to buy them from yahoo auction hk and ship them out to canada, for a fee. i just finish gluing them together.
As for shipping, there is no way these won't break in shipping. if there was a styrofoam mold, it would be ok but i can't chance it breaking. that's why i'm trying to find a local painter but is having a hard time trying to find one.
stormriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:20 AM   #9
puntapret
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Wooww, stormriders, those statues are cool ...

Aren't they from Long Hu Men ?
puntapret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #10
Venator
A day without sunshine is like... night.

very nice kits there, I also suggest that if you are going to paint these yourself that it would be best to practice on a few kits first.
Venator is offline   Reply With Quote