Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 06-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
Raas Kaaz
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

finisher / sealer question.. need some help

Hi guys,

I haven't really fond something with the search option .. neither I am sure if this is here the right section...

I have tried so many different finisher.. but couldn't really match my desire..

I which to have my statues finished like manufactured statues... somehow close at least..

its either to heavy.. (you can see the coats.. ) or to unsecured.. (paint scratch off very easy)

these are the finisher I tried so far:

Pretty good.. but paint scratches off very easy.. not very secure

Pretty secure and strong.. but it leaves kind of "film" on the surface.. the matt finish looks like dried dust on the statue..

ok.. but very expensive

any suggestions ?? Help ???

Thanks a lot !!
Raas Kaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

what type of paints are you using?

Plus don't forget those paints they use over seas are prob stuff with lead in them and potent stuff you can't get in hobby stores here.

If you want a gloss coat, future floor polish thru a airbrush can give you a nice thick gloss coat if you don't over spray and do it in a few coats.

Also check out garagekit.us at the paints jesse carries, he has some clears that may work also.

I only use testers for dull cotes, future floor polish for gloss and sometime testors gloss for a mid range gloss.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Raas Kaaz
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

thanks a lot !! I am using standard acrylic paint.. but good point that they might use different stuff what you can not get here..
Raas Kaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I use the Krylon matte and the dullcote with no problem from easy scratching, the Krylon has a very slight sheen and the dullcote is pretty flat if you just mist it on in cotes.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:49 AM   #5
w00tw00t
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
what type of paints are you using?

Plus don't forget those paints they use over seas are prob stuff with lead in them and potent stuff you can't get in hobby stores here.

If you want a gloss coat, future floor polish thru a airbrush can give you a nice thick gloss coat if you don't over spray and do it in a few coats.

Also check out garagekit.us at the paints jesse carries, he has some clears that may work also.

I only use testers for dull cotes, future floor polish for gloss and sometime testors gloss for a mid range gloss.
just curious since you stated that they use paint that likely has lead in it, do you think sideshow pieces are painted with paint with lead in it?
w00tw00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
just curious since you stated that they use paint that likely has lead in it, do you think sideshow pieces are painted with paint with lead in it?
What ever paint they use it doesn't seem to be like car paint nor over the counter paints at hobby stores.

Maybe they don't have lead in them but they could have other stuff no allowed in the US.

Often times paint or clear coats i used to love disappear and then find out they are released with a new mixture and don't have the same feel to them. US has some crazy standards which is why so far i am not able to get same paints as seen on pre paint statues.

Example some bowen items can chip, like they are hard candy paints on them. Some sideshow items are hard candy paints too but don't chip, they more or less dent.

Paints i use, createx, tamiya etc.. can be scraped off with a fingernail while pre paints its sorta hard to do. So that tells me that have something in them that makes them hard candy shell paints.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote