Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-26-2008, 06:34 PM   #41
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
One thing though, digital art is still art, and it's still original in a sense. It might well even look better than a hand inked piece.

Sadly, it would still feel like a print to me. It's like the artwork on a business card. While it might look great, I would still feel somewhat disconnected for some reason.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:45 PM   #42
patrickwm68
The Flash

What's keeping the guy from printing out a bunch more copies and selling them at conventions?
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #43
k-9
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwm68 View Post
What's keeping the guy from printing out a bunch more copies and selling them at conventions?
because his style doesn't look that good?

even established artist's dont sell all there prints or originals at a con.

so this guy got a small chance.
k-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:41 PM   #44
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwm68 View Post
Any artist could do that if they keep scans of their work.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:46 PM   #45
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
That's good advice - although also a round-about way of calling me an idiot. But I understand. Listen, I'm new to the game - I never even thought there was a chance of something like this happening. But I'll chalk it up to - you live and learn - now I will know better...
sorry R - did not mean to even imply that you were an idiot. This type of "dispute" is fairly common (watch Judge Judy and People's Court). It generally has less to do with a person's intelligence and more that most of us do things in a rush mode.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:22 AM   #46
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

I am with the others 100.00 ???? But I was in a smililar situation once where the artist told me I could have the jpg emailed to me or a print Now be it he showed me scans of the pencils then inks but he got to keep the ORIGINAL paper art all I was to get was the Print of the art I was like dude are you NUTS so needless to say for ONCE it was a pay AFTER commission so I told him NO thanks.
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:42 AM   #47
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

I think if there's any questions you have regarding his (or anyone's) methods, it's best to address them with the artist before money exchanges hands.

He obviously didn't convey clearly enough what his process/intentions are, which is as much his fault for not doing so...

My idea of "original art" when it comes to comic books doesn't involve computers in the least.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:21 AM   #48
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Regardless of the problem, we shouldn't be commenting on whether we think Ratchet's piece would be worth $100.

A piece of art is worth whatever someone is willing to buy it for, if Ratchet is happy with the valuation, then that's his business, and not for us to be comment about. I wouldn't pay half the price that Albert Moy asks for Jim Lee's work, but I'd pay double that to get the Jae lee piece I want.

I hope you get this sorted out Ratch, wouldn't want any SF-ers to get stiffed on a piece.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:06 PM   #49
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
Regardless of the problem, we shouldn't be commenting on whether we think Ratchet's piece would be worth $100.
I could not agree with you more. There are artists I will overpay for and alot of you probably think I am nuts for doing so. There are artists that people love that I wouldn't spend a 1/4 of the money that they did for the piece.

The great thing about comic art is there is something for everyone. To knock someone's taste or what they paid doesn't do anyone any good.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #50
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
I could not agree with you more. There are artists I will overpay for and alot of you probably think I am nuts for doing so. There are artists that people love that I wouldn't spend a 1/4 of the money that they did for the piece.

The great thing about comic art is there is something for everyone. To knock someone's taste or what they paid doesn't do anyone any good.
True...true...
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote